Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2020, 09:36 AM   #1
CBRV

Thumbs down Slide loses power - help!

Our 2017 Cougar 21RBS has a small dinette slide. Recently, the slide began stalling out when opening or closing it. The power dies out and the slide stops moving, whether we are plugged in at a site, or using the battery.

If I push the power button, the slide will move so many inches, get sluggish and then stop. Take my finger off the button, let it "rest" and it will begin again. The longer I let it rest, the longer it goes before dying out again. It takes 5-7 of these on/off's to get it opened or closed.

Any ideas? We have a new battery because of this issue, but it did not fix it.
Thank you!
CBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:14 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

A new battery may not be charged fully and the power is coming from your 12VDC system. Perhaps checking the voltage at the battery while you are attempting to move the slide will give you a hint. If the camper has been plugged into shore power and you have this issue, the converter may be the problem or a loose wire at the battery, etc. You may also have a bad rocker switch (the slide control).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:54 AM   #3
Steveo57

Sounds like the auto reset breaker on the tongue that the slide is powered through is tripping and resetting. Have you done any maintenance to lubricate your slide out seals and checked outside under the slide floor to make sure it's clean and there's nothing wrong that couldn't cause it to bind. I would also check the connections on the breaker on the tongue to make sure they are clean and tight.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:29 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

My first thought is battery. Then you said you have a new battery. How do we know what "new" means charge wise? Have you had I checked. It sure sounds like you just don't have the "oomph" to get her in....that said;

When is the last time you inspected and lubed the slide seals? Are they in good shape, clean and lubed? Any torn, rolled up/under? Do you have any carpet, debris, dog toys etc. caught under the slide?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Several potential problems:

1. Battery is not fully charged and can't provide the "oomph" to power the "amp hungry slide motor"

2. Low voltage means increased amperage, possibly corrosion or loose connections either at the battery terminals, the motor connections or a loose/corroded ground on the system. That could cause the mini-breaker to open, when cooled, it closes and you get a few more inches of movement.

3. Corrosion inside the DC mini-breaker. They are not "waterproof" and they do corrode over time. There should be two on the bulkhead right behind the battery. Check them for any signs of rust on the terminals, corrosion or burned screw terminals.

4. A bad motor on the slide, unable to produce enough torque to push the slide out. That might also be, as stated above, an issue with dragging slide seals or misaligned/worn slide components.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:15 PM   #6
German Shepherd Guy

What do you guys recommend as a slide out seal lubricant?

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:04 PM   #7
NH_Bulldog

Just a thought; if it starts out fine then slows and dies, and the longer you let it sit before trying again, the longer it will run before dying again tells me you have a battery output issue. It’s either not charging right (bad converter) or it doesn’t have a good ground. What size battery? Good ground? Good converter output? When it dies, what does your battery level indicate? You could have gotten a bad new battery but not likely. If your battery is drained dead from this, you have a bad battery now and it should be replaced (again), but not before you find the issue.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:32 PM   #8
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
What do you guys recommend as a slide out seal lubricant?
I just use the usual Camco spray product. All it does it lube the seals themselves, to keep the rubber supple and prevent it from drying out, folding up, and cracking -- it doesn't lube the slide motion.

However, there is actual slide lube that I used to use on my old rig, that had C-in-C-rail slides underneath, and it used to make a huge difference. The new rig is cable drive, and I haven't yet dealt with how I would need to lube those, if even necessary.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:24 AM   #9
CBRV

VERY helpful information from everyone! We will be going through each of the suggestions over the weekend. Thanks so much! I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:35 PM   #10
richck

I have the exact same problem with the exact same trailer. My electric tongue also cuts out. Was wondering if you had any luck solving the problem.
richck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:57 PM   #11
CBRV

We tried the suggestions, (those that weren't over our heads), and the RV is now at the local RV shop for them to figure out. I'll let you know when they come up with an answer. They've had it for a week and a half now.

Tags
power, slide