Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2019, 06:20 AM   #1
Jeremy888

Splendide Lint

The owners manual for the Splendide washer dryer combo in our 2016 3950 BR Montana 5er says "Checking the dryer vent " is on page 21. On page 21 it says " No long filter to clean" that it is self cleaning... So I pulled the machine out and found about a quarter of a cubic foot of lint in the vent tube .. Talk about a fire hazard! Luckily it still had over half the tube open for venting . Its not possible to pull the machine out enough to work on it without removing the door and bottom shelf of the laundry closet . I will add this to my annual maintenance list . Also tightening everything that can shake loose from the vibration the machine causes like the fan globe I replaced last year . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191101-071115.png
Views:	159
Size:	734.0 KB
ID:	24224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191101-071433.png
Views:	114
Size:	574.5 KB
ID:	24225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191101-071528.png
Views:	118
Size:	637.6 KB
ID:	24226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191101-071629.png
Views:	105
Size:	469.2 KB
ID:	24227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191101-071712.png
Views:	168
Size:	367.0 KB
ID:	24228  

Jeremy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:11 AM   #2
Archergodwin

Is that vented to the outside?
Full-time in my Fuzion since 2011
USAF Vet. B-52G Crewchief.
Archergodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 03:56 PM   #3
Jeremy888

Lint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archergodwin View Post
Is that vented to the outside?
Yes it is I pulled the outside flap and cleaned it too .
Old 11-02-2019, 08:03 PM   #4
Archergodwin

Looks like you may have had a overly sharp bend there in the flex line, causing the lint to build up there. Every see one of those sliding/adjusting boxed vents? Homedepot carries them, and I had considered using one, but had enough room that a 4" flex did fine.

Type in "periscope dryer vent" in the store's search function. It might help out.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:15 PM   #5
Jeremy888

Thanks Archergodwin, Yes it has a 90 degree out the back of the unit , and then straight to the wall , and no I have not seen one . In the photo the end that attaches to the wall is up ,and the 90 is,barely visible ... there was lint from the 90 all the way thru the flex tube about 1/3 to 4/5 of the tube filled. I think you are correct that the 90 is responsible for the build up... I will attempt a photo of it as it is ..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20191102-211411.png
Views:	99
Size:	490.8 KB
ID:	24255  
Old 11-02-2019, 08:25 PM   #6
Jeremy888

OK , oK looked up periscope dryer vent and tbis is what came up ...see photo ...is this what you are taliking about Archergodwin ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20191102-212109.png
Views:	97
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	24256  
Old 11-02-2019, 09:22 PM   #7
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy888 View Post
OK , oK looked up periscope dryer vent and tbis is what came up ...see photo ...is this what you are taliking about Archergodwin ?
These are horrible in my opinion. I had one in my house and you cannot seal them. They let a horrendous amount of moisture out while venting outside. I tried sealing mine with duct tape and still had leaks. I would rather use the flexible duct and clean it once a month or how ever often it is needed.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:53 AM   #8
Jeremy888

This would not work anyway because after he 90 degree elbow it goes straight out the wall . The problem is access to the flex vent. To get the machine out far enough to access it requires pulling off the door , and scooting it out .... The out side end has a hood that comes off easy with 2 screws enabling you to look straight in all the way to the 90 elbow . I will improvise a toilet brush by lengthening the handle and try to clean it this way to avoid pulling it out again . Thanks for all the input.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:09 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm not sure if it would work better than a toilet brush, but there's a "dryer duct cleaning brush" complete with 12' of fiberglass rods available. The kit is designed to clean "aluminized dryer duct" and is hanging in the heating duct/insulated ducting section of Lowe's. In our store, they are hanging on an end cap. Cost is about $15 and a "must have" for anyone with a "ducted home dryer" and now, I suppose, a fifth wheel ducted dryer.....

There's a 6' version with only 2 sections of fiberglass rod for $13: https://www.lowes.com/pd/LintEater-D...White/50371152

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:16 AM   #10
Jeremy888

TY JRTJH , I'll Check it out .
Old 11-03-2019, 08:11 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
TY JRTJH , I'll Check it out .
I use the 12' version at home. If you buy one, TURN ON THE DRYER (on air) so all the "dislodged lint" is blown out of the hose as you brush the inside of the vent duct.... Wear goggles (don't ask me how I know) LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:19 AM   #12
Jeremy888

OK TY I will do it...Its especially important for me as I only have one eye ! So I do appreciate this tip. I will also check my dryer vent at home in Wa. ..Our dryer has a lint trap but I am sure there is ample fuzz in the 5 foot tube from dryer to outside ..
Old 11-04-2019, 05:58 AM   #13
Archergodwin

Quote:
This would not work anyway because after he 90 degree elbow it goes straight out the wall . The problem is access to the flex vent. To get the machine out far enough to access it requires pulling off the door , and scooting it out .... The out side end has a hood that comes off easy with 2 screws enabling you to look straight in all the way to the 90 elbow . I will improvise a toilet brush by lengthening the handle and try to clean it this way to avoid pulling it out again . Thanks for all the input.
Ouch... yeah, that's a lot of work getting to that. A periscope type would just cause you to cuss alot in that situaton..

When I installed our laundry center, I found a wall vent and I'm fairly impressed with it. It allows unrestricted access to your vent tubing without removing anything, but is also guaranteed to keep critters out.

It's called the "No Pest Vent". Now, I haven't hauled this rig down the road since I installed that (we are a bit more stationary than most), so I'm not sure of the actual strength of the magnet holding the outer door closed. However, it would not be an issue to fabricate something that would secure the door while flying down the road.

https://nopestvent.com/product/low-profile-vent/
Old 11-04-2019, 06:25 AM   #14
Jeremy888

Archergodwin, does the vent hood rotate all the way up so as one can clean as JRTJH and I have been discussing? As it is I have only 2 screws to remove ,but if it does swivel up enough to be able to clean it ,I may just get one. The wood or sheet metal screws going thru the wall of the trailer may eventually strip out from repeated removal and installation. They do not make these rigs with maintenance in mind ... As for my vent ,I pretty sure it's the first time its been cleaned . The people we bought this thing from did zero maintenance including leaving a mountain in the black tank . We have had this rig about 2 years now and from my past posts you can tell how many problems we have had .I'm very thankful for this forum. I have learned much . I posted this with others in mind since the manual for the Splendid said " No lint trap to clean" which could lead people to believe that no maintenance is required....far from the truth . As it stands now the inacessability of the tube behind the dryer is the biggest obstacle, but by using a specific tool as suggested by JRTJH to clean the tube from the outside the problem is solved ...Thanks to all who responded ...Jeremy
Old 11-04-2019, 07:10 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Our SIL's father is a Fire Captain and teaches fire safety. He stresses cleaning dryer vents and told me it's the #1 cause of house fires in the US.
I guess we're lucky that sticks &bricks houses don't move down the road with the fridge on! Sorry, couldn't resist.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:38 PM   #16
Jeremy888

LoL yes flybouy , I was a Merchant Mariner ...32 years going to sea , lint build up is also right at the top of class A shipboard fires. Rarely did you see a ships laundry without a sign posted to clean the lint trap . So that is a statistic I did not know about ..rv fridge fires . We are also lucky that our home washer/dryers are not located at the highest and least supported area of our homes like the Splendide is in cap of this 5th wheel. It shakes your teeth and everything else loose thats not welded down adding much maintenance work . We are collecting mystery screws and occasionally finding where they shook loose from . So last Tuesday morning a group of men at my church asked for prayer requests . So I told them to please pray that this Splendide would blow up and never work again !
Old 11-04-2019, 02:34 PM   #17
notanlines

Jeremy, "So that is a statistic I did not know about ..rv fridge fires." That is a remark from Marshall making a funny about a recent thread concerning RV fires and running the fridge while travelling. Yes, he should be beaten like that dead horse!
And no, don't sweat the fridge running while travelling.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:37 PM   #18
Archergodwin

Quote:
Archergodwin, does the vent hood rotate all the way up so as one can clean as JRTJH and I have been discussing? As it is I have only 2 screws to remove ,but if it does swivel up enough to be able to clean it ,I may just get one.

Yes, it does swivel up out of the way. Gives you a clear unobstructed access to the vent tubing.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:03 AM   #19
daveinaz

Our Splendide dryer has no lint filter either. We hit the road this summer and after using the dryer noticed that it was getting really warm in the closet where it was installed. And lint everywhere. So... I went outside when she had the dryer on and there was no air coming out of the dryer vent outlet on the outside wall. So I got a stepladder and crawled up with a flashlight and looked down the back of the dryer. What a mess! The PO had installed a flexible vent pipe that was about 8’ long and had used a piece of rope to tie it up in the middle so it wouldn’t collapse onto itself and the pipe was disconnected from BOTH the dryer and vent outlet on the outer wall!! No wonder lint was everywhere! Now the hard part—getting the stacked washer/dryer out of the little closet. No room to grab it from the side since there was not even 1/8” clearance on the sides. We had to pull it from the front by grabbing in the middle. I had to make a platform on the entry steps since it has to slide out over them. Then I cut the insanely long vent hose down to only 3’ and secured it back to the dryer and wall outlet with zip ties. Pushing it back in was just s as fun as getting it out.

Now I know why I found so much link in the nooks and crannies of the bedroom ceiling when cleaning the trailer after getting it. Who knows how long they had been running it without any venting to the outside.

It is much better now! It stays way cooler inside, no more lint, and the dryer works better too.
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:15 PM   #20
Jeremy888

Davinaz , Yes these units are crammed in the closet...I had to remove the closet door to get ours out . What probably happened on yours is the flex vent hose got so full of lint that it parted its connections from the weight of the lint buildup.
So hopefully I won't have to pull mine out again if I can keep it clean enough by running a Brush thru it from the outside . Once the vent makes the 90 degree turn out the back of the machine its a straight shot of 3.5 or so feet to the hooded exit . For my unit its only 2 screws to remove the hood . Is yours in a 5th wheel ?