Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2019, 03:54 PM   #1
TinaMBee1

how to winterize newbie question

I bought a 2014 Keystone Passport. I'm getting ready to get it ready for winter. I'd like to give the floor a good cleaning. How do I clean it? and people talk about the kinds of roofs they have. How do I tell what kind of roof I have? I could take it to the dealer but we won't even go there about how they have jerked me around. And once I figure out what kind of roof I have what can I do to winterize it? Thinking it might need some kind of sealant. I also plan on putting a cover on it even though I read a thread about covers being bad. We had an old old camper before this one and we covered it the last few years. Probably the way we got a few more years out of it. It as 29 years old!
TinaBee
TinaMBee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:11 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

What kind of floor - carpet, vinyl? Clean either like you would any other floor of the same material. Don't throw a bucket of water in the floor and mop if off but damp mops, swiffers etc. should work. Carpet - use regular carpet stuff.

As far as the type of roof, just pull a vent cover inside and look at the roofing material that should be folded, and probably stapled, along the edges of the opening. White on one side and black on the other = EPDM; same color on both sides (white) = TPO.

You don't really "winterize" a roof. You should inspect it multiple times a year to make sure there are no cracks or abrasions. All of the sealant around the edges and every penetration thru the roof should be carefully inspected to make sure there are no cracks, breaks or cuts. If so, reseal with the appropriate product. In addition, depending on what kind of camping you do, you will want to clean the roof periodically to slow down staining and that sort of thing. I take mine to a dealer once a year to have it cleaned and sealed in addition to what I do to it on a regular basis.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:34 PM   #3
busterbrown

Keystone Passports are built as ultra lite coaches, very similar to the Bullets. The roofs are built with a thin decking material (probably 1/4" thick OSB or plywood) and overlayed with either a TPO or EPDM membrane material. As Danny described, you can easily remove one of the white vent garnish rings (usually just 4 screws) to confirm.

With both materials, an owner must be diligent with interval roof inspections in order to prevent an undesirable leak. So it's not just part of winterization process. This should be done at least 3-4 times per year. Inspections don't necessarily require resealing measures. But it's good practice to have a tube of Dicor self-leveling lap sealant on hand for suspicious areas. YouTube will have plethora of video resources to help an owner identify what to look for.

Regarding the vinyl floors, just use a household product of your choosing to clean those surfaces. Carpeted areas, the same.

RV covers tend to get very little support from the active RV community There are a few that love them. But for a majority of rv owners, their coaches stay uncovered for the entirely of their service life.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, winter, winterize