Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2019, 05:36 AM   #1
here4kids

Smile Nearly Stuck Dump-Tank Valves

Greetings all, Really enjoying my 2012 Alpine 3700 RE except when it's time to dump tanks. Two dump tank valves (one grey, one black) require an exceptionally hard tug when attempting to dump the tanks. I get the job done but I know this should be easier... I noticed an adjustment screw on the backside of the wall with an adjustable nut secured to the wall. Wondering if shortening the line slightly might relieve the tension and difficulty of pulling that valve?? Thanks much for any input.

Mike and Sandy in their
2012 Alpine 3700RE
here4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:14 AM   #2
ChuckS

I doubt that’s gonna help much. Since it’s a 2012 have the handles always been hard to pull ? I lube my pull cables every year with PB blaster ... 2014 Alpine

Two fingers is all that’s required to open all 3 of my tank valves...

Yours may have some corrosion and dirt inside the cable sheath. If they have always been hard to pull then the routing of those cables would be suspect...

You can access them via basement storage by taking rear cargo panel down.

Some will say you can’t get any cleaner/lubricant in between the cable and sheath... you can with patience

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:17 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Chuck has the right idea. The nuts your talking about nearly hold the sheath in place and don’t change the length of either the housing or the cable.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:16 AM   #4
travelin texans

You might try looking at the cable routing, mine were much longer than needed & ran all over the place finally pulling the valve at an odd angle. I loosened the nut you referred to & worked the cable around til it pulled straight with the valve. Also as mentioned lubed it regularly.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:12 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

It's "amazing" what a motorcycle cable lube tool will do for any Bowden cable system. Check out this video and see if it adapting it to your trailer cable might ease the "pull effort" by lubricating the cable.
BTW: You've got the same Bowden cable system on your lawn mower, power washer and any other power lawn tool that uses a "remote speed control".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:13 PM   #6
kksfish

Try dumping and flushing then- induce three or four gallons of water, pour in about 1/4 of bottle of Dawn, pour in a couple 12 ounce bottles of mineral oil( available at pharmacy area in Walmart) , drive for a couple hours to agitate, let it sit for a week....slightly open valve to allow a couple of ounces to slowly seep out then close repeat in a few hours!

Worked for me and mine was so tight I needed two hands to open...
Old 10-08-2019, 10:55 AM   #7
Cougar29FKS

I also poured a few gallons of water and a bottle of cheap dollar tree dish soap in my empty holding tanks a day before leaving. It was able to agitate for a few hours driving down the highway. My pulls are all MUCH easier to move now.
Cougar29FKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:02 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by kksfish View Post
Try dumping and flushing then- induce three or four gallons of water, pour in about 1/4 of bottle of Dawn, pour in a couple 12 ounce bottles of mineral oil( available at pharmacy area in Walmart) , drive for a couple hours to agitate, let it sit for a week....slightly open valve to allow a couple of ounces to slowly seep out then close repeat in a few hours!

Worked for me and mine was so tight I needed two hands to open...
With the ability of Dawn to cut grease/oil I'd guess your mineral oil isn't doing much good, but if it works for you keep it up.
I just use the cheapo dollar store dish or laundry soap in the black tank & a quarter cup of vegetable oil (or your mineral oil) in the grey tanks. All valves pull easily.
And as I've already said, lubed the cables.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank