Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2019, 07:47 AM   #1
EagleOne

ShurFlo Water Pump Doesn't Keep Pressure

Ok, I'm stumped and unfortunately for me my 1 year warranty just ran out a little over a month ago. I've got a 2019 Keystone Loredo 250BH and when I turn on my faucet water initially comes out as it should with good pressure for about 10 seconds then it slows up until its barely coming out.

I turn off the faucet, I can hear the pump on for about 30 secs or so then once it's up to pressure it shuts off. Turn the faucet back on, same thing good pressure for about 10 secs and then slowly to nothing. I contacted ShurFlo and they were also stumped, said it could be a leak somewhere but the thing is when I leave the power on to my pump it never randomly has to recharge pressure.

Then sent me out a new pump which I just installed a few minutes ago and it didn't fix my issue. Any body have any ideas? Oh and tank is full of fresh water and system runs great when I've got a city connection to the trailer.
EagleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:56 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Possibly a crimped supply hose from the fresh water tank to the supply side of the pump??? If so, when you have a demand for water, the volume can't keep up and the pump cavitates, then when you turn the faucet off, the pump can fill the lines (slowly) until pressure is obtained and the pump cycles off. Then, when you turn on the faucet again, it repeats the cycle......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #3
Canonman

John's on the right track here. Access the water pump. It's probably behind some sort of access panel. Look at the lines. They will have "bends" in them with a fairly wide radius. If they are kinked you'll need to see if you can reroute them so they bend without kinking.
"For 1/2" PEX with OD of 5/8", minimum bending radius is 8 x 5/8" = 5". Over-bending the PEX pipe, deforms its' round shape, restricts flow and over-stresses the pipe. Note: minimum bending diameter only refers to the 90-degree and 180-degree (U-shaped) bends."
You can get a Pex Bend Support at the Home Depot for about $3
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-3...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
This will keep the pex line from kinking if that's the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL5574.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	355.6 KB
ID:	23721  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:00 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

I'd guess supply line issue as well. Could bew kink in the line, supply line could be sucking air, or possibly debris in the supply line. The fact that once the pump satisfies it doesn't run again would rule out a leak on the pressure side. I would check the supply connection to the pump, it's seal and for any visible kinks. Also would try disconnecting that line and blowing air thru it to see if any debris has clogged it. Let us know what you find.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #5
EagleOne

Ok, will check all your suggestions. I'm also going to try just running my winterizing hose into a bucket and see if it draws water just fine. Essentially eliminating the tank supply side.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:34 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleOne View Post
Ok, will check all your suggestions. I'm also going to try just running my winterizing hose into a bucket and see if it draws water just fine. Essentially eliminating the tank supply side.
Excellent idea. Just make sure you would drink from that bucket. You don't want to contaminate the water lines in the camper with any nasty chemicals.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:06 PM   #7
Steveo57

Did you check the aerator screen on the faucet, maybe it's just plugged up.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:06 AM   #8
EagleOne

Wanted to give you guys an update, it's been a while since I had to leave for work last week. As I said I used a pitcher and ran a supply hose to the pump everything ran great so I knew the issue was now either my tank or the supply hose.

Started digging around my supply hose and it's kinked just before it comes out of the floor. Looks to me like this is a workmanship issue as the hose is too short for me to get the kink to release. I've tried contacting my dealer but haven't heard back yet.

Really pisses me off because the trailer is a 2019 and my 1 year warranty just ran out the beginning of August. Really hoping they'll work with me as this is my first RV and this is already making me kind of regret purchasing when I could have just rented. The bottom of the RV is completely enclosed so I'm thinking I'd have to pull all that down to get to the supply hose.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:20 PM   #9
Steveo57

Quote:
Wanted to give you guys an update, it's been a while since I had to leave for work last week. As I said I used a pitcher and ran a supply hose to the pump everything ran great so I knew the issue was now either my tank or the supply hose.

Started digging around my supply hose and it's kinked just before it comes out of the floor. Looks to me like this is a workmanship issue as the hose is too short for me to get the kink to release. I've tried contacting my dealer but haven't heard back yet.

Really pisses me off because the trailer is a 2019 and my 1 year warranty just ran out the beginning of August. Really hoping they'll work with me as this is my first RV and this is already making me kind of regret purchasing when I could have just rented. The bottom of the RV is completely enclosed so I'm thinking I'd have to pull all that down to get to the supply hose.

If your handy at all you could just cut a hatch in the coroplast underbelly to get access to the area and it would be an easy fix.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Another option would be to add an extension onto the hose. There is no pressure on the supply hose from the FW tank to the pump, so you can buy a 1/2" barbed connector and two worm clamps and just add a foot or two of hose to the "above the floor" section where it connects to the water pump. No need to go under the trailer unless you just want to explore.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:24 PM   #11
Northofu1

Quote:

Don't worry, the dealer will cut a nice little hatch into it and patch it with the most awesome tape

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #12
EagleOne

Good idea JRT, the only issue is I can't seem to work out the kink that is there. I try rerouting the hose but it doesn't seem to have much affect.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:40 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Take a worm gear hose clamp. Put it right over the kink and tighten just enough the straighten out the kink.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump