Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2019, 05:17 AM   #1
cdaler

Kicking out Alvin and the chipmunks

I used my KS Passport Elite 32FB the 1st weekend of May and it was still chilly at night in CO at 8500'. Oh the stench coming out of the heater vents. So reading other threads and they recommended dropping the belly pan.
The chipmunks got into the heater through a 2" vent pipe that keeps the bottom warm when running. We had put on magnetic vent covers and that kept them out of the cabin. The 3 vents must have 20' pipe runs just ran willy nilly all over the place. I replaced them with a 8' run to the middle and a 25' run, cut to do the front and rear vents. I also put a screen on the 2" pipe so they don't get inside the furnace anymore. I installed 2" R10 foamboard underneath and on the I beams, while I had it taken apart. I had to cut the pan where the LP pipe crosses to the water heater. I decided that it would be easier than trying to deal with taking the LP system apart and putting back together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190603_144939.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	22113   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190604_164855.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	22114   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190604_171703.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	22115  
cdaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:37 PM   #2
Cbrez

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post. I particularly like the screen you installed on the end of the heater hose. Although we haven’t had rodent problems yet, I expect it’s just a matter of time. Next time I drop the coroplast I’m going to follow your lead. Great solution.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:02 AM   #3
danf

I put a screen on the end of my "basement" heater hose too. I don't think the mice actually used it though. They didn't have too. Once they get access to the basement, they have access to nearly all the cabin via the holes cut for water and electric lines. Where did they come in? In my case it was initially through the "mouse door", the cover for the shoreline power cord. And then once I replaced the mouse door with a twist lock outlet, they just ate their way through the coroplast.
danf is offline   Reply With Quote