Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2016, 11:49 PM   #1
jason.black

TT Advice

Hello everyone,
This is my first post here but I have been reading for a couple of months and have PM a couple of members with direct questions. My family and I are starting our hunt for a TT. The two that we have zeroed in on so far are the Passport 2670BH and the 2920BH. It will be our first TT. The TV will be a 2016 Chevy 3500 SRW 6.0 Gas - Crew Cab - 6.5' bed with 4.10 gears. Looking for positive and negative on the TT and also towing them. I want to make sure I am not getting a TT to long for the truck, I should be fine on the weight I believe.

Looking for a BH model and we believe that we want an outside kitchen. However, since we have never had a TT it is somewhat a shot in the dark. With that in mind we are are also very open to suggestions at other models we should consider.

Thanks,
Jason

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jason.black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 03:52 AM   #2
Mike484

Re: TT Advice

You and your family is really the only ones that will know what trailer is best for you. Floor plans and options are something you will need to look at to see what is available and what fits best into your needs and wants as well as budget. You will know when the right one comes along, you'll get the feeling "this is it".

However, there is a world of knowledge on this forum and any specific questions you have will be very well answered.

We have a Passport and are very happy with it. We pull it with a half ton GMC. Since you have a 1 ton, your options are much broader than what we had. You may worry about it being too long, but, that is something all new trailer owners go through, its just the fear of the unknown. Once you get hooked up and start pulling it around and backing it into small spaces, you will eventually get more confident and the fear of it being too long will soon go away.

Keep looking around, then ask questions about the different models and available options. If your looking at Keystone, there will be someone here that will be able to answer your questions.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of RVing, you will enjoy it.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:59 AM   #3
14george

Welcome to the fourm x2 what Jason said
Old 11-12-2016, 06:47 AM   #4
sarossi14

I tow a Passport 3220 with an F150. You just have to be mindful of your weight distribution. Seeing that you have a heavier truck you will have some leeway with weight. Like the above said you have to be comfortable with what you are driving and the floor plan has to work for you and your family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sarossi14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:13 AM   #5
busterbrown

As others have spelled out already, floor plan, floor plan, floor plan. Otherwise, you may settle on something that always be chewing at you in the back of your head. Many learn the lesson the hard way and end up moving to something different after a season or two.

I looked at a similar 2920BH floor plan in the Keystone Bullet line but discovered that having a second bunkhouse slide made all the difference. If you're traveling with little ones, you'll appreciate the extra space.

Good luck and have fun in your search.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:28 AM   #6
GaryWT

Your 1 ton will pull any TT with ease. Longer trailer tow great and will actually back easier than shorter trailers. At first I wanted to stay under 30 feet but went with a 35 footer and it has been great. As state, when you see the right one, you will know it. For us an outside kitchen and slides are a must and we like to sleep everyone without setting up the table and/or couch every night. My final thought is I go into the bathroom, shut the door and be sure I can move around in there. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:23 AM   #7
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.

I have a friend that owns a Passport, not sure of the model, and they are very happy with it. I have a Hideout it is 27 ft. long There is only the two of us but the slide out makes all the difference in the world. Like others have said the floor plan is very important. I don't know what experience you have with TT/MH but look at what you think you have to have and then then look at the extras. As with a house make sure your wife is happy with the floor plan and you be comfortable with the exteriors. weight/length/setup and etc. I am new to towing and find that 27 ft.'er is good for me. If there is any RV shows coming up in your area that is a great way to see what is out there in one nice spot. I also chose a local dealer (which happens to be good) since I did not want to drive 50 miles for warranty work and service. After the sale customer service is as important as during the sale service. Welcome to the site and from Oregon "HOWDY". And there is a lot of help on this site.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:22 AM   #8
Ken / Claudia

Hello, and welcome. Nothing to add about your trailer pick, except that rvs and boats. We tend to get one we want. After a year or so most want bigger or different for many reasons. You have a truck which is the higher cost of the package that will support your changes to bigger rv of any type. Good call on that. Some say over kill on that truck. I say you can never have to much truck. At 60 years old I towed with 1/2 tons and SUVs back in the day. Trucks and rvs were different than but, Towing with a long/wide and heavy vehicle is much different than with one that might work out or is max'ed out. Good luck, enjoy camping/RVing as do most others on here.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:12 PM   #9
mamawildbear

TT Advice

We went through this a couple of years ago. You mentioned you have a family? How many kids? If 2, look for double bunk beds. As our kids grow we are very happy with the extra room the double sized bunks give them. Plus they keep all of their junk in their beds. If more than 2 kids you might want the model with the separate room in the back with two sets of bunks. Get a slide out. We were nervous about a slide. More weight, more money, more mechanics that can go wrong. A family of 4 adult sized people and no slide is seriously cramped. We really wish we'd gotten a model with at least one slide. Kids will be off to college in 4 years so we'll make do for now before trading to a model for an empty nester couple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Camping partners with my Hubby of 22 years
Spud - 14 year old son
Mouse - 12 year old daughter
Pickles the Bagel Hound - 9 year old camping dog
(at home we have Hazel the cat, Gummy the Leopard Gecko and Lachlan the Hanoverian horse)
mamawildbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:09 AM   #10
SLIMSHADIE

Jason, your truck will tow about any TT, with a good anti-sway weight distribution you will harldy know its back there. The 2920 is similar to my 291TG. We love it. The next year they came out with a model like the 3220bh. That would of been nice for the second door right into the bathroom instead if tramping thru the TT. Also the slide out of the bunks would of gave the kids their own play room which also would of been nice, when they were younger, just a thought.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #11
malabarbob

We bought a 2015 Keystone Bullet 24RKS with the thermal package and love it. We downsized from a class A and I still struggle with backing it up, But once at the site, it is as comfortable as my class A.
Not sure if I will ever get good at the backing - may have to shop for a deal on a small A, B or C. Fingers crossed I learn to back it as its fantastic and trouble free.
Towed with a 2016 F-150 Laredo with auto backup
Travel with our "Morkie" - Zoe
malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 01:31 PM   #12
CaptnJohn

I too downsized from a class A to a 35' 5er. Sometimes backing is a struggle but getting easier. Best move we ever made though.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 01:32 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by malabarbob View Post
We bought a 2015 Keystone Bullet 24RKS with the thermal package and love it. We downsized from a class A and I still struggle with backing it up, But once at the site, it is as comfortable as my class A.
Not sure if I will ever get good at the backing - may have to shop for a deal on a small A, B or C. Fingers crossed I learn to back it as its fantastic and trouble free.

I think as you use the trailer you will find it far less a headache than a motorized RV - I wouldn't dream of having a motorhome of any kind over a trailer. (Not to start a motorhome vs trailer argument; just personal opinion)

As far as backing; the solution is to go do/use it. It is nothing more than getting used to the setup and developing a feel for what it does when you do "a,b or c". The more you do it the better you will become and the less stress it will be. Just remember to take your time and WATCH in every direction, back, sides etc.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:56 PM   #14
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think as you use the trailer you will find it far less a headache than a motorized RV - I wouldn't dream of having a motorhome of any kind over a trailer. (Not to start a motorhome vs trailer argument; just personal opinion)

As far as backing; the solution is to go do/use it. It is nothing more than getting used to the setup and developing a feel for what it does when you do "a,b or c". The more you do it the better you will become and the less stress it will be. Just remember to take your time and WATCH in every direction, back, sides etc.
No problem backing boats of all sizes (until I bought an indoor dry slip), the class A was not a problem from the 2nd try. Not 1 of countless TTs ever the trouble of the 5er. Just suck it up, take a deep breath, and do it.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:06 AM   #15
08quadram

We have a 2920bh. I really like the trailer. I pull it with a 2008 1500 Ram. Pulls fine except on windy days. Even with an equalizer hitch you know it is back there. Mostly because of the sheer vertical surfaces. At that length and longer, a 5th wheel would be preferred IMHO. Since you have a tonner you have many more options if you want a larger trailer.

We have 2 girls, the 4 bunks are great for Their stuff. Keeps it all on the back. Looked at the 3230, almost bought it, but for a short box quad cab truck, it's just too long.

Mike
2014 Chrysler 300
1970 VW beetle
2006 Ford Freestyle
2008 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
2013 Passport 2920bh GT
BX2350
and a bunch of other crap
1-wife / 1-dog / 2-kids
08quadram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:39 AM   #16
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.

ADDENDUM: I had not ever towed prior to my purchase back in July. I had a friend give me some training. I also went to a local park and spent the afternoon on practicing backing up. I had people asked me what was I doing and explained to them what and why they thought that it was a great idea. I still have difficulty in backing up in our TT driveway. Not much room on the road to maneuver back and I have to backup uphill. When the driveway is wet/muddy is when I wish it was a 4 wheel drive. But I am better not great just better. Plus I have a great wife to give me instructions when it is time to backup. And when we hook up to tow we both go over to make sure things are done 4 eyes are better than 2.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote