Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2016, 04:09 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Input Needed On TV Tires: Firestone Transforce

My truck came with Firestone TransForce LT285/60 20 tires from the factory. I have right at 40k on them now and thinking about replacement. They have done a great job for me and I've really been pleased. That's after I said I would never own another Firestone product after terrible experiences in the late 80's, early 90's. They still have probably half the tread left and look/ride very well.

As mentioned, I've not owned Firestone products for decades. What are your thoughts and experiences with these tires? It appears to me that Firestone has made a turn around based on my experience with these tires, but, this is the only set I've ever had that didn't cause me grief. I've bought most major brands of tires but try to stick with Michelin, Goodyear or BFG. My last BFGs left me unhappy and I keep hearing about the decline of Goodyear products. Michelins always seem to be great but their prices are getting pretty "out there" to me. Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:14 PM   #2
bsmith0404

Re: Input Needed On TV Tires: Firestone Transforce

Do a search, there are many threads that discuss this same subject on this forum. As for your exact question, the TransForce is a decent tire for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. I used to buy BFGs a lot, but don't anymore. I consider them more of an appearance tire for lifted or off road trucks. If you want a tire with similar performance of the TransForce, I would go with another set of them, the Michelin MS2, or Cooper Discoverer. The Cooper tire is what I'm running now, replaced my MS2s, and I'm very happy with them. They are extremely less expensive and also balanced better than the Michelins, which really surprised me. Expect to get about 60-70k miles out of any of these tires.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:57 PM   #3
BirchyBoy

My truck came with Cooper Discoverer RTX tires that I said I was going to replace with michelins. 6k mikes later, including pulling the camper from CO to NC. I'm sold on them and would put them on my wife's Lexus hybrid if they came that small
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:32 PM   #4
Alpine

TransForce came on our truck new from factory. I have nothing to say bad about the tire... just the customer service! So the next set of tires purchased were Michelin MS2, which I have not had long enough to make a judgment call.

I will purchase the TransForce again if the MS2's don't give me the same wear.

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:32 AM   #5
gearhead

I'm in the same boat. Firestones came on the Ram. I swore after having Firestones on a new 1974 Olds Cutlass that I would never own them again. I have 12,000 on these and have no complaints. I think after Bridgestone bought Firestone that they improved. I'll look at them or Cooper for replacements when needed. Michelin has just gotten crazy expensive. The last set I bought were very low mileage take-offs from Discount Tire and even they were expensive.
I recently had a nail with a slow leak in one and Discount Tire said it was non repairable. They don't sell Firestone and offered me one of their branded tires, but I didn't want just one mismatched tire. Luckily there was a Firestone store next door. I bought a replacement there, rolled it across the parking lot to Discount and they balanced and mounted it for no charge. That's why they get my business.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:02 AM   #6
concours

take a serious look at Toyo Open Country Tuff Duty I highly recommend these. they are quiet they are wearing well and the wear is even no cupping etc.
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:06 AM   #7
Desert185

I still have heartburn with Firestones and Pinto gas tanks even though Pintos are gone and Firestones have probably resolved their issues. That was a bad combination, though.

I've had good luck with Michelin, Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2's and Cooper. Currently, because of my need for an all terrain rather than an all season tire, I'm running Nitto Terra Grapplers. They're my favorite, so far. Quiet, great ride, good traction. DT matched Walmart's price.

As a heads up, I was at DT just a few days ago doing some looking for the wife's ride. They mentioned a Thanksgiving Black Friday sale with $100 off. Phone orders accepted.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:24 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Do a search, there are many threads that discuss this same subject on this forum. As for your exact question, the TransForce is a decent tire for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. I used to buy BFGs a lot, but don't anymore. I consider them more of an appearance tire for lifted or off road trucks. If you want a tire with similar performance of the TransForce, I would go with another set of them, the Michelin MS2, or Cooper Discoverer. The Cooper tire is what I'm running now, replaced my MS2s, and I'm very happy with them. They are extremely less expensive and also balanced better than the Michelins, which really surprised me. Expect to get about 60-70k miles out of any of these tires.

Thanks for your response as well as everyone else. Yes, I was aware there are other threads on the tire subject and some that mention the TransForce, to which I think I've contributed. I just wanted a real time, up to date opinion of folks on this particular tire and any other recommendations.

I usually replace tires at 40k and the most miles I've ever put on a set is 50k.
With so much tread left I was considering leaving them on a while but I've always had some kind of issue with tires after 50k (I hate leaks, flats, blowouts etc.). Just trying to look at this from all angles before I go spend $1000+.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:15 PM   #9
B-O-B'03

After 34K miles the Bridgestone Dueler tires that came on the wife's F150 Platinum were down to 4/32 and since we are leaving this Saturday on a 1400 mile camping trip I decided to replace them.

My cousin uses the Michelin MS2 on the trucks he has owned and told me the set on the 2010 F150 he just got rid of had 90K miles on them and still had lots of tread left, he usually gets 120K + out of them... that was good enough for me.

The Michelins were $1,087 out the door... lifetime balance, flat repair and replacement certificates.

I was amazed at how much better the truck drove and how much quieter it was on the road.

-Brian
Old 10-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #10
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
After 34K miles the Bridgestone Dueler tires that came on the wife's F150 Platinum were down to 4/32 and since we are leaving this Saturday on a 1400 mile camping trip I decided to replace them.

My cousin uses the Michelin MS2 on the trucks he has owned and told me the set on the 2010 F150 he just got rid of had 90K miles on them and still had lots of tread left, he usually gets 120K + out of them... that was good enough for me.

The Michelins were $1,087 out the door... lifetime balance, flat repair and replacement certificates.

I was amazed at how much better the truck drove and how much quieter it was on the road.

-Brian
Which Duelers? Were they Revo 2's? Sounds like they were OEM Duelers, because only 34K doesn't sound right in my experience with them.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #11
Dave W

My only complaint with the Firestones on my '11 Ford was that they wore out too fast (35K) vs other brands I've used on similar vehicles. Other then that, a decent tire but now replaced by Michelin Defenders which are a bunch heavier
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:43 PM   #12
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
My only complaint with the Firestones on my '11 Ford was that they wore out too fast (35K) vs other brands I've used on similar vehicles. Other then that, a decent tire but now replaced by Michelin Defenders which are a bunch heavier
You know, we have the Defenders on the wife's Volvo XC70 and we can't wait to remove them. Surprisingly, they're very noisy. They're coming off early next month for all season Michelin Premiers.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:15 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
You know, we have the Defenders on the wife's Volvo XC70 and we can't wait to remove them. Surprisingly, they're very noisy. They're coming off early next month for all season Michelin Premiers.
I put a set of Michelin Premier LTX tires on my 4 Runner and was astounded at the ride improvement (old tires were BFG).
Old 10-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #14
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I put a set of Michelin Premier LTX tires on my 4 Runner and was astounded at the ride improvement (old tires were BFG).
Are they quiet?
Old 10-18-2016, 04:37 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Are they quiet?
I've got about 3k miles on them and they are very quiet; one of the quietest, if not the quietest, tires I've ever had on a vehicle. They do a great job in rain but I've not had the chance to use them in snow or mud.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:38 PM   #16
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Which Duelers? Were they Revo 2's? Sounds like they were OEM Duelers, because only 34K doesn't sound right in my experience with them.
I am not sure, they were OEM and passenger style, did not wear very well at all IMO.

I am hoping for much better from the LT Michelins.

-Brian
Old 10-19-2016, 02:48 AM   #17
Dave W

No significant noise with Defenders on my truck. They are a heavy, aggressive truck tire all season tread so am surprised that a car company would use them on a passenger car. The new Ford Escape Titanium we are buying today has LRR Michelins as does the current Ford Fusion - quiet, long wearing.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:57 AM   #18
Desert185

The crossover Defenders share the same name, but are different tires for the smaller, crossover vehicles. The crossover version, like the Latitude, had mixed reviews, unlike the current offering in the Premier LTX. Based on the reviews, looks like that will be our next XC70 tire.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:15 PM   #19
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post

-Brian
I replaced the OE MS2s on my dually at 55k miles, 5/32. The second set of tires were also MS2s, replaced at 71k miles 5/32 tread. That was balanced and rotated every 5-10k miles, rotated through all 6 positions on the truck. You will most likely get more miles on a SRW truck, but I wouldn't expect 120k. My dad has them on his 2500, based on current wear, I'd expect 80k. The MS2s cost me $1600 out the door for 6. The current Coopers I have were $1100 and I should get about 65k based on current wear (again changing at 5/32). That is 1/2 of a cent per mile cheaper than the MS2s. I always figure cost per mile to see if cheaper is actually better. If you run them to the wear bars, 3/32, you obviously will get a few thousand extra.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:26 PM   #20
notanlines

We just bought a new set of 20" Michelin's for the F-350. Michelin price was $1400 installed out the door and Ford was $1215. We changed at 69,800 and still had 6/32, but a 10,000 mile trip ahead of us. Brenda and I have always had 3/4 and one ton trucks, and have had great luck with Goodyear and Michelin. The best luck we had on the big boat trailer was Goodyear, a ten ply tire but they don't make it anymore. And of course I can't remember the name of it.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote