Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
Dmallen79

Gfci problems

Hello I have a 2014 sprinter copper canyon 324bhs and none of my gfci outlets work and I can not find an outlet with a reset button. Anyone else run into this problem. FYI I have looked everywhere!!
Dmallen79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:42 PM   #2
kksfish

Re: Gfci problems

You may have a gfci breaker, check the panel for that.....
kksfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:49 PM   #3
Dmallen79

I do have a gfci breaker and it is not tripped even tried resetting that and nothing
Old 10-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #4
Pull Toy

More specific trouble info would help?

Most, not all "moderns", have reset button in Bathroom outlet, or Kitchen counter... it daisy chain, from there to any outlet you can reach from an "earth ground". (read that, Dirty feet)

Maybe defective outlet somewhere "downstream". Remember that any outside outlet, including refrigerator, exterior, or basement outlets may be at fault. and could be cause of a tripped GFI.

Good Luck!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:08 PM   #5
kksfish

Try putting a volt meter on the breaker itself to make sure there is voltage leaving the breaker.....could have a breaker?
kksfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:47 PM   #6
Dmallen79

Is it common to only have a breaker and not an outlet with a reset button
Old 10-11-2016, 05:18 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmallen79 View Post
Is it common to only have a breaker and not an outlet with a reset button

Its more common to have a GFI outlet. I have seen GFI breakers in some high end class A motor homes, but outlet is common place.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:31 PM   #8
mtofell

Have you checked the exterior outlet?
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:27 PM   #9
MBD

GFI outlets only last so long. If you are having problems the easiest solution is to replace the GFI outlet. If that doesn't fix your problem then you can spend a lot of time trouble shooting which outlet is grounding. $20 for a new GFI and 10 minutes to switch it out, can save aggravation/frustration. That is if you found the GFI outlet.
MBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:19 AM   #10
WaltBennett

If I'm not mistaken, I don't think there's supposed to be a GFCI outlet off a GFCI breaker. I'll let a for real electrician chime in on this, but I was once told to only have one GFCI device on a circuit and not others in series.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:48 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

When I see GFI breakers, I don't see GFI outlets on that circuit. The outlets are labeled.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:04 PM   #12
mtofell

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltBennett View Post
If I'm not mistaken, I don't think there's supposed to be a GFCI outlet off a GFCI breaker. I'll let a for real electrician chime in on this, but I was once told to only have one GFCI device on a circuit and not others in series.
Correct - only one GFI outlet or breaker per circuit. It's not really a problem to have more than one but it can lead to confusion when one trips. It's also a sure sign someone who didn't know they were doing did the work.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:31 AM   #13
HammerToe

I’m not an electrician BUT I don’t think it’s ‘that simple’… It depends… on where the ‘GFCI’ IS located AND HOW one wires things up…

Here’s my understanding:

FOR PURPOSES OF DISCUSSION HERE: One can have/use two ‘types’ of GFCIs:

1. There are ‘Main (Electrical) Panel’ GFCI ‘circuit breakers’ that one can install IN THE/A ‘main’ (electrical) panel(s) alongside ‘NON-GFCI’ circuit breakers.

2. Then, there are also GFCI (Electrical) RECEPTACLES.

3. Then I think it ‘depends’ on how you wire things up.

4. For example, a SINGLE ‘main panel’ GFCI breaker CAN ‘host’ more than one non-GCFI outlet receptacle. (This is in fact how my house was wired by a professional electrician. I have ONE MP (Main Panel) GFCI supporting TWO ordinary bathroom electrical receptacles in each of my two bathrooms. I also have in my main panel a second GFCI breaker servicing a TWO (ordinary) outdoor receptacles.

5. In 1998 I had a spa installed in a sunroom I had built and the way the electrician handled the ‘code’ requirements for GFCI protection so as to AVOID having to take up TWO spaces in the main panel was to wire OFF a single 15 AMP MP breaker, mounted on the wall right beside the panel was a SINGLE GFCI RECEPTACLE/PLUG. Then from there/off it, he ran some ‘Romex’ out to an ‘ordinary’ receptacle in the sun room.

So, bottom line, I think it works like THIS:

1. One should NOT have more than a single ‘GFCI’ (of either the MP or Receptacle ‘Type’) in a circuit, ‘period’.

2. IF one has a single GFCI breaker REGARDLESS OF ‘TYPE’, that GFCI CAN ‘HOST’ more than one electrical receptacle., if it’s all wired up ‘right’. For example, while it is not common to see, one could have a ‘dual gang’ or more (4+ receptacles) in a single location hosted by a single GFCI receptacle in ONE of the ‘positions’. (This is really no different than plugging in, say, a multi-outlet ‘power bar’).

3. In fact, I THINK/am pretty sure that the GFCI RECPTACLE by the bedroom sink in my trailer also ‘supports’ a weatherproof outside receptacle on the RHS of my trailer.

I think it all depends on whether or not the downstream non-GFCI receptacles are chained off the ‘input terminals’ OR the ‘load’ terminals of the GFCI Receptacle (‘Type’). If so, all ‘downstream’ receptacles are ‘protected’.
HammerToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:39 AM   #14
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Correct - only one GFI outlet or breaker per circuit. It's not really a problem to have more than one but it can lead to confusion when one trips. It's also a sure sign someone who didn't know they were doing did the work.

^^^This.

A properly wired GFCI doesn't preclude another GFCI from being installed on the same circuit, but isn't done because it isn't necessary.

I would get a multimeter and check for voltage at the breaker. If no voltage when the breaker is closed (on), then you have a bad breaker. If you do have voltage at the breaker, start checking downstream, as something is open in the circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote