Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #1
tjmorris58

Question Question from a newie about running the air conditioner?

Should I run the air conditioning, and the refrigerator full time between trips? Looking to make at least one weekend trip a month and a one to two week trips now and then.
tjmorris58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:31 AM   #2
bill-e

Re: Question from a newie about running the air conditioner?

I run my fridge throughout the camping season because we stock up the camper at the beginning of the season. I also set my AC fo 80° and run it all season as well. I run the AC again because we keep our camper pretty much stocked and ready to go and just about any food in the camper can be damaged and go bad in no time by the high temps which can build up in the cabinets in a very short time while in the sun.

Is it required, absolutely not but it is convenient. Also, we don't have AC in the house so more than once we've retreated to the camper during some sweltering days and nights.

It does cost a pretty penny to do this.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:56 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I think it would depend on how often you are making trips. If you are going every week, or maybe even every other week, you might want to leave your fridge, and possibly AC on. If we are not using the trailer for a month or more we just shut everything down and charge the batteries. About 2 weeks in advance of leaving we start packing the trailer. About 2-3 days before leaving we turn on the fridge, let it stabilize then load. Once we start loading the fridge we turn on the AC to keep the temps acceptable (about 78).
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #4
Mike484

We have electrical hookup at our storage and since we pay for it anyway, I have thought about leaving the AC on (at about 80 or 85) just to prevent any moisture from accumulating in the trailer from high humidity. Haven't done it yet, but seriously considering it.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:26 PM   #5
Pull Toy

We keep the fridge "ON", and plugged in to 110v, from April to October. We're fully stocked, and ready to go, ice, burgers, dogs, steaks, and all. We also have a full supply of dry goods, socks and drawers, and toothpaste, and Di-Gel etc... Just need bread, eggs and milk , and a "stop mail order" to get on the road on a half/hours notice, and a fuel stop...

A/C only on 1 to 2 hours prior to departure to cool down interior, depending on ambient temp., while we're packing. Other than that, roof vents open, with Maxi's, during down time, and windows "cracked" for mildew control. We also leave interior doors and closets open in storage, for ventilation, depending on weather.

We're spoiled, camper is "parked" 10 feet from back door, with shore power.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:19 AM   #6
GaryWT

We run the fridge all season and keep additional food that would not do well in the heat in there. We do not run tha AC but also do not live in the south.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:48 AM   #7
UsTwo

WE camp like you all.. Weekend trips plus the one or so week at a time trip. We storage our camper so I have no place to keep it plugged in...I have no HOA to worry about so I will go get the camper a day or two in advance and plug it in at the house...If its really hot ill run the fan to keep air moving but seldom run the AC.. I just don't see a need to it at the house before leaving.. We also will turn on the fridge at that time to give it time to get cold. We don't load the fridge till we are leaving that morning, usually by that time its nice and cold..just as we leave I will turn on the gas for the fridge to keep cooling, yes I drive with the propane running. I don't turn on the AC till we get hooked up at the campground..There is plenty to do outside to get the camper started cooling down..with leveling and unhooking and setting up the grill etc etc...it doesn't take that long to cool down.. by then I am usually ready for a cold one and let my woman do her thing...aka setting up the kitchen and bed etc etc... but that's just us.. others may do it different...

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:10 PM   #8
Pull Toy

I forgot to mention that we freeze several bottles of our home well water in "Simply Orange" bottles. This helps to create the old fashioned "ice box" effect, and helps to cool the fridge while on the road. Every extra space gets stuffed.

When we get where we're going, it makes great drinking water for the dogs (less tummy upsets), and us too if the local water really sucks . When it's time to come home we fill the empties with the local water and freeze it a day ahead, for the trip home.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote