Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2016, 06:42 PM   #1
eddiefenton76

Passport 2650 Reverse/Back-up Lights Solution?

I have a Keystone Passport 2650BH and I'm looking for solutions or advice on installing Reverse/Back-up Lights on the trailer.

Has anyone explored options or solutions?
I would love to be able to light up dark campsites when I arrive late and need to back into tight spots.

Has anyone installed other light fixtures on the rear bumper of the trailer?

Any advice, photos, or discussion would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
eddiefenton76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:13 PM   #2
bmach

Maybe some strategically payed glow sticks? That way your lights don't light up other campsites. But you could run a couple of lights mounted on the trailer bumped and connected to the trailer battery and a switch.
bmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:25 PM   #3
Tbos

A friend of mine has 12 volt lights mounted to his frame just in front of his TT tires. That way he can see where they are when backing up. They could have a separate switch to the battery or you might be able to be wired so they come on when your TV is in reverse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:46 PM   #4
poppin_fresh

I haven't mounted any to my trailer, but I did buy a pair of small automotive "fog" lights from Wally World that I mounted on the back of my tractor so I could see at night when snow blowing using my PTO mounted blower. Those suckers are VERY bright!

The kit came with two lights, brackets, some wiring, and a toggle switch. Should be a pretty easy install and to hook it up directly to the trailer battery although you might need to lengthen the wire to reach.
poppin_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:14 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I haven't had time (yet) to wire/install my LED lights on the Cougar. It is my plan to wire them to the yellow wire (backup light wire) at the umbilical. I will run the wire under the RV to the rear bumper and connect the lights there. I have "pretty much decided" to install an "off/on" switch in the forward bay so I can disable the lights if they are not needed or if I'm backing into a site where it would be inappropriate to have extremely bright floodlights during setup.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:11 AM   #6
the sodfather

I have a couple rechargeable LED lights that have a magnetic base that work excellent for this. We use them for all sorts of things when it is dark out (lighting campfires, setting up, evening nature walks etc.)
the sodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:53 AM   #7
bsmith0404

The umbilical from the truck goes to a junction box mounted to the frame at the front of the trailer. As mentioned, the yellow wire is the backup light wire. On trailers without backup lights, the wire ends at the junction box. All you need to do is run a wire from the box to the back and mount some lights. There are several options for the type of light you can use a google search will give you a lot to choose from. A typical backup bulb is an 1157 so I recommend getting a light that you can use an 1157 or typical type bulb vs a flood/fog light type that is too bright.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:26 PM   #8
trucker LOU

Hey Eddie, I mounted backup lights on both sides showing back,and under rear bumper. they are wired to the yellow back up wire in the pigtail. I have not needed for such ,but would also make nightime wheel/tire service easier,----Lou--
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2550.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	11230   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0114.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	11231   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0115.jpg
Views:	163