Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2016, 09:19 AM   #1
Larry1013

Smartphone TPMS now available

TireMinder has a smartphone TPMS system now available at our wonderful CampingWorld stores (tongue in cheek). Looks to be a lot easier to use than previous TireMinder systems. Works with Apple Iphones, Ipads and Android devices.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...minderresearch

http://www.minderresearch.com/tiremi...-and-trailers/

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:38 PM   #2
bsmith0404

I wonder what the range is, Bluetooth typically works up to around 30'.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:24 PM   #3
Larry1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I wonder what the range is, Bluetooth typically works up to around 30'.
If you checked the product description, the bluetooth is only the interface with your smartphone/ipad/tablet not for the connection to the sensors.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:49 PM   #4
Desert185

Fancy, but this one is less money, less interfacing equipment required and more battery time without depending on the iPhone battery that I sometimes use for navigation.

http://www.vulcantire.com/tst_507rv5_4wl_ft_sys.htm
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:39 AM   #5
Larry1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Fancy, but this one is less money, less interfacing equipment required and more battery time without depending on the iPhone battery that I sometimes use for navigation.

http://www.vulcantire.com/tst_507rv5_4wl_ft_sys.htm
If you watched the video, it shows the app being "reduced" and run in the background which many apps on smartphones, ipads and tablets do constantly. This allows you to use the phone for other assistance such as navigation. Also, shown in the video, if the app is closed completely, the in vehicle unit will still notify you of alerts/problems so you can open the app to check the problem.

The vulcan is not bluetooth but dedicated and adds another device to the dash array clutter. Most smart device users have chargers in their vehicle to maintain the battery on their phone/ipad/tablet,so battery life is a non-issue as you stated.

But, doesn't matter. TPMS systems are like coffee and tea, people have their preference and go with what they like. Stik with what you like and trust.

I shared this for possible new TPMS users to consider since we are moving more and more to the smart device era in our lives.

If you own the TireMinder setup now, the cost would be cheaper should they ever sell the unit without the tire sensors as the current tire sensors work with this new bluetooth setup.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:40 AM   #6
Desert185

All true, but what I like about the TST being separate from my phone, besides what I already mentioned, is that I can view the pressure/temperature trend constantly without having to handle my phone or switch back and forth from one display to another while I'm driving, thus avoiding further distractions. Switching back and forth would be like having one gauge for water temp and oil pressure and having to touch a screen everytime you want to see the other indication. A reduction of "dash clutter" perhaps, but to the detriment of driving and similar to the distraction of texting while driving.

Just observing advantages and disadvantages for those who may be considering TPMS options. Everyone will make their own decisions given the facts available, and I'm sure there are folks who will think the iPhone TPMS display is a "cool" feature. It just doesn't work for me, but thanks for pointing out another phone app. I do like apps that fit my purpose.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:59 PM   #7
Ken / Claudia

Make sure to check your states cell phone laws. Here in says driver using the device. Even picking up a cell and scrolling thru it to read the time is illegal. Because that is use. Of course the passenger can use a cell phone in any matter they want.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:53 PM   #8
denverpilot

The phone always goes in a Ram Mount when in the vehicle(s) and gets plugged in for charging/playing tunes. Adding TPMS to it would be cool.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:17 AM   #9
bsmith0404

I just watched the video for the system, looks like a very easy system to use and I like some of the features. They didn't show any options for changing the temperature parameters, which I've done with my TST system. I've noticed that my tire temps typically stay within 15-20 degrees of ambient temps, so I reduced the alarm temps. I don't really see a reason for waiting until the tire temp gets up in the 160s.
The only reason I would not buy a system like this (even when TST puts it out) is that I like where I mount my TST system. I windshield mount it up high just under the rear view mirror. It's not in the way of anything, and is close to my line of sight. Now instead of checking my mirror during everyday driving, I check the TPMS. It's a natural, muscle memory, motion and it keeps my eyes out the windshield. I'm not going to put my phone up on the windshield in direct sunlight and expose it to the higher temps. But, that's just me.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:45 AM   #10
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Make sure to check your states cell phone laws. Here in says driver using the device. Even picking up a cell and scrolling thru it to read the time is illegal. Because that is use. Of course the passenger can use a cell phone in any matter they want.
If I have a GPS and use it to find my way in the incredibly confusing Hollywood Hills, that's OK, but if I use Waze on my phone (which I recently did) that's illegal.

If there are sanctuary cities for illegals, can I use my phone legally in an illegal environment to return to a legal environment where my phone is illegal?
Old 08-21-2016, 06:42 PM   #11
Ken / Claudia

Yeah, I understand. But, when you get a bunch of lawyers in a room and write a good law that should be 3 or 4 lines. We get a no cell use law etc. that is about 1 and 1/2 pages long, have of which does not make sense.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:09 AM   #12
Pmedic4

TPMS and phones

Interesting thought, listening to people discussing the legality of using their cellphone, and then using their TPMS. You can't use your phone, but you can use the TPMS buttons too scroll thru the individual tires, right? Seems sort of same thing! :-)

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:29 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Several years ago we had a MIO GPS. That was before they were a popular item and long before Garmin dominated the field. We were in Ft Wayne, IN late one evening, the MIO was mounted on the windshield, center dash. It was "clearly visible" and, I suppose could easily be seen from outside our SUV. A Indiana state trooper stopped us to "inform us" that watching TV while driving was illegal. When I explained that it was a "mapping device, not a TV" he wanted to see it to verify what I had told him. He let us go with a warning not to watch TV while driving and we were on our way. That was in the late 80's, during a time when I was buying the latest electronic devices as soon as they were available.

I wonder when (if) cell phone use while driving will one day not meet with the negative feelings that surround "texting while driving" ???? Seems that every time I'm on the road, I see someone with their "head down and one handedly driving"....

As for pushing buttons on a TPMS vs cell phone..... Is there a difference in "distracted driving" without a distinction of what type of device is being used??? Then again, most law enforcement vehicle operators use radar, laptop computers, radio and positioning devices while travelling much faster than the posted speed limit..... Hmmmmm maybe some "operators" are just "safer than the general public" ????? And, no, this is NOT intended to be a "slam" against law enforcement, but I do become discouraged when my grandson points out a policeman who turns on his blue lights, drives through a red light to turn into McDonalds for lunch while we wait for the light to change..... It's difficult to explain to a 10 year old why it's important to obey the law while law enforcement ignores that same law..... Hmmmmm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:45 AM   #14
Desert185

I see a number of LEO's in my state using a cellphone to their ear while driving or driving faster than the ridiculously low and frustrating posted speed limit. I know, personally, when I was sworn in and given a badge I became smarter and more capable on the road. (weak grin)
Old 09-28-2016, 03:15 PM   #15
Tbos

Do these tpms require steel valve stems? A friend has a system on their 5er with rubber stems and has not had an issue. Are there any that are less expensive but still work? What is better, pass through or cap sensor? Thanks for being patient with my questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:20 PM   #16
Ken / Claudia

Update on cell phone law. Came down from 9th circuit federal court. They ruled to be against(charged with) the no cell phone use law while driving you must be actually involved in a phone call. We will not know how each state will follow it. And I have not read the whole ruling. But, it would seem that using a phone app. to see the TPMS would be legal.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:16 PM   #17
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Do these tpms require steel valve stems? A friend has a system on their 5er with rubber stems and has not had an issue. Are there any that are less expensive but still work? What is better, pass through or cap sensor? Thanks for being patient with my questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The flow through sensors allow you to add air without removing the sensor. Since they are a bit heavier, they recommend steel stems to prevent flexing as the wheel/tire rotates followed by rubber stem failure.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:47 PM   #18
rsl

So I called Tire Minder and ordered their upgrade kit today (I have the 1st gen receiver and transmitters). They advised I could reuse the 4 wheel transmitters I have and just replace the Booster and replace the display with the Bluetooth adapter and the cost for that would be $199 or if I wanted to replace the transmitters (newer version had better signal strength and resent data more often) they would be $40 each ($160 total) making a complete upgrade kit $359. So I was thinking well I can buy a complete new setup from camping world for $310 this is not a deal, but then she says if you send in your old display you get a $50 credit and if you get the new transmitters and send the old back we will give you a $5 credit for each. So bottom line is I could upgrade for $149 or $289.
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:31 PM   #19
Desert185

Check TST507 prices at www.vulcantire.com.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:32 AM   #20
rsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Check TST507 prices at www.vulcantire.com.
4 Wheel System for 5th Wheel Trailers - Free Ground Shipping
In Stock 11136 $417
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote