Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2016, 03:14 AM   #1
trueweb

Opinion on 5th gear Landing Gears

The front landing gears have failed on my 2008 Keystone Raptor. The leg without the motor continues to get "out of sync" with the powered leg. I think gears are stripped or something else. I have to detach the connecting rod get them even then continue.

I'd like your help with what to do and what your preference is since I have to tear a good part of the camper apart to get to the leg. It's buried deep between the generator and propane box (2008 Raptor mp299).

If I replace should I use independent motors or go with a direct replacement?

Are there hydraulic solutions that may work better?

Any specific brands?

What would you do? I'm trying to get exposed to ideas or products I have not found yet. Thanks!
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:33 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Changing to hydraulic could prove costly. If you don't have the pump, or if you do, if you don't have 4 ports on the manifold.

Changing to independent motors would be good as long as the space is there for the motor. Properly lubricated landing gear should last a long time, my last trailer was 13 1/2 yrs old when I sold it and they worked just like the day I bought it.

If you can, measure the length of the outer leg, before ordering so you know which ones to get. Info may be on the motor.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #3
randy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueweb View Post
The front landing gears have failed on my 2008 Keystone Raptor. The leg without the motor continues to get "out of sync" with the powered leg. I think gears are stripped or something else. I have to detach the connecting rod get them even then continue.

I'd like your help with what to do and what your preference is since I have to tear a good part of the camper apart to get to the leg. It's buried deep between the generator and propane box (2008 Raptor mp299).

If I replace should I use independent motors or go with a direct replacement?

Are there hydraulic solutions that may work better?

Any specific brands?

What would you do? I'm trying to get exposed to ideas or products I have not found yet. Thanks!
I had same problem .. Mine had one dc motor and a cross shaft for the other landing gear. Bought additional landing gear motor and switch. For installation I made a craw through door from inside front storage compartment. extra switch was installed next to the orginal landing switch. Much easer with two motor landing gear. Easer to level the front now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	10460  

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:07 AM   #4
trueweb

Thanks Randy! I think I'm headed down the "two motor" path even though the one buried deep behind the generator and propane makes me nervous and I'm not sure how I'll access it with a manual crank either.

As far as leveling goes I have always been told not to level the rv with the landing gears or stabilizers. Side to side level should always be done at the tires (ramps, etc). The landing gears are used to level front to rear and the rear stabilizer jacks are just for stability.

Thanks for your reply!
Old 05-06-2016, 04:36 PM   #5
randy69

Ok not hard to do just time consuming. First of all there two ways to support your tt to remove landing gear. Use your truck (hitch up ) or what I did was 2 heavy duty. Jack stands and a 4x6x8 lumber floor jack in the center 4x6x8. Bring up your landing gear. To acess that hard to get landing gear. I cut a door with hindges,big enough So could excess the landing gear. Don't forget to remove the square tube drive shaft. Unbolt the old landing gear and install new one. Bolt on motor. Next I used a hole saw where the propane compartment is to acess the manual crank option. Now to install your switch trace arounid your new switch next to your old one. Used a small drill bit and finished off with a drimminal motor. Switch wiring harness is long enough to reach your battery and landing gear. If you have a remote landing gear control also I would remove the fuse from the receiver on the other side of storage compartment. You have to press both switches at the same time. You will notice a lot more power.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	180
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	10459  

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
Old 05-06-2016, 05:29 PM   #6
CWSWine

Deleted wrong thread
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:37 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

CWSWine -
I think the OP's question was about repairing and replacing the landing gear for his 5th wheel. Perhaps your post is in response to a different member's question about TT 's, shifting weight and tongue weight.

Are you sure your response is in the correct thread?
Old 05-06-2016, 08:29 PM   #8
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
CWSWine -
I think the OP's question was about repairing and replacing the landing gear for his 5th wheel. Perhaps your post is in response to a different member's question about TT 's, shifting weight and tongue weight.

Are you sure your response is in the correct thread?
Wrong Thread Sorry...
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:45 AM   #9
trueweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy69 View Post
Ok not hard to do just time consuming. First of all there two ways to support your tt to remove landing gear. Use your truck (hitch up ) or what I did was 2 heavy duty. Jack stands and a 4x6x8 lumber floor jack in the center 4x6x8. Bring up your landing gear. To acess that hard to get landing gear. I cut a door with hindges,big enough So could excess the landing gear. Don't forget to remove the square tube drive shaft. Unbolt the old landing gear and install new one. Bolt on motor. Next I used a hole saw where the propane compartment is to acess the manual crank option. Now to install your switch trace arounid your new switch next to your old one. Used a small drill bit and finished off with a drimminal motor. Switch wiring harness is long enough to reach your battery and landing gear. If you have a remote landing gear control also I would remove the fuse from the receiver on the other side of storage compartment. You have to press both switches at the same time. You will notice a lot more power.
Wow, this is good advice Randy! Thank you! Do you have any pictures of what you did with regard to the door? I'm thinking I have to go through the propane door and remove the aluminum shield around the propane tanks.

Thanks again!
Old 05-12-2016, 02:03 PM   #10
randy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueweb View Post
Wow, this is good advice Randy! Thank you! Do you have any pictures of what you did with regard to the door? I'm thinking I have to go through the propane door and remove the aluminum shield around the propane tanks.

Thanks again!
Went out to day for pictures. If your main concern on how to get at it. Not that hard just time consuming. I used a jigsaw to cut one vertical and two horizontal lines. Put two hindges on the vertical and finishing second vertical. Now I have a perfect door that's alighn. Even if your lines are little. Bit crooked,your door will match.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	201
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	10445  

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
Old 05-13-2016, 01:58 PM   #11
randy69

My landinging gears were venture brand electric dc motors. If that's what you have you can order it from them. Skip the middle man. The kit comes with landing gear , motor, wiring harness ,fused and switch.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	173
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	10458  

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
Old 05-21-2016, 12:31 PM   #12
bigbluthundr

Trueweb - are you sure that the gears have stripped ? I ask because I have owned 2 Cougars (still have 2011 HC) any way - same problem - 3 times and I SHOULD have caught it second time.

My 2003 uses a hex tube - one slides into the other to help remove it.

Problem IS, HEX will NOT fit properly on a ROUND SHAFT - which is what the driving motor is. The constant up and down motion of the landing gear will become sloppy - and BREAK something. My problem was it broke the SHAFT on the motor at the drilled hole that connects the bar.

I must tell you we thought it was gears - but nay-nay. We wound up taking it out anyway and drilling another hole on the motor shaft - fortunatly we had enough BEEF to hold it.

I then made shims to fit the motor shaft - and used grade 8 shoulder bolts & nylocks to lock everything in place - no more troubles.

Unfortunatly I did NOT get to my HC to do the same - until our first trip, when basicly the SAME thing happened - only JUST the bolts broke.

So I repeated the above repair by replacing the bolts with grade 8's shoulders and shiming.

Much more solid now and NO clinking and clanging of the hex drive shaft.

Hope this helps.

BBT

I've been camping since it was invented
2000 F350, 7.3
2011 Cougar HC 291 RLS ( 2nd Cougar ) 5th 5er.
bigbluthundr is offline   Reply With Quote