Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2016, 08:15 PM   #1
homer3

Ford Deisel

This is for all you Ford owners. Question> I have a freind that owns a 2001 Ford diesel. At dinner tonight he was telling me that while driving today the engine started acting up. He was describing that to running really rough, almost like the time or misfire of some sort. May be even a fuel problem. When stepping on the gas he described it it as having no real power. Once even having to pull over to the side of the road, placing in neutral and revving the RPMs just to keep it running. Puzzled. Reminded me of a gas engine with the Catalytic Converter going bad. Not sure if diesels now days even have Catalytic Converters. He said he change the fuel filters and air filter looked good. Any suggestions.??????

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:39 PM   #2
bigbadbob17

Could be a whole host of things with the 7.3 powerstroke. They are good engines but diagnosing is hard without the proper scan tool. Sounds to me like it's mis firing, is it smoking when it runs rough? The ipr valve can cause problems make sure the tin nut is tight on the back. Another common problem is the under valve cover wiring harness coming loose. The only real way to check that is to pull the covers off and make sure they are fully plugged in. They work loose and can cause intermittent problems like you described. Would cause the 4 injectors to stop firing on that side if it was unplugged. I would go search ford trucks. Com there are a million threads on issues like you described and the same amount of helpful people that know a heck of a lot more than I do. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
bigbadbob17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:48 PM   #3
TonyCO

Did his wife fill it with gasoline? Ha. It actually happens and the exact symptoms you described.
TonyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:19 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Ford Deisel

Your friend needs to take it to a repair facility with the ability to scan for codes IF the CEL light is on. If the light isn't on, then there is any number of things that can cause the symptoms described. And yes some years of diesel trucks do have catalytic converters.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:15 PM   #5
Ron

On our F350 7.3 the wiring harness came loose under the valve cover on one side causing ours to run rough, they make a kit, not sure what it is called that locks the connection together better than the factory install...
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:44 PM   #6
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer3 View Post
This is for all you Ford owners. Question> I have a freind that owns a 2001 Ford diesel. At dinner tonight he was telling me that while driving today the engine started acting up. He was describing that to running really rough, almost like the time or misfire of some sort. May be even a fuel problem. When stepping on the gas he described it it as having no real power. Once even having to pull over to the side of the road, placing in neutral and revving the RPMs just to keep it running. Puzzled. Reminded me of a gas engine with the Catalytic Converter going bad. Not sure if diesels now days even have Catalytic Converters. He said he change the fuel filters and air filter looked good. Any suggestions.??????
I'm not a Ford owner. I hear from a Ford mech that changing the oil is important because the 7.3 has a high pressure oil pump (HPOP) that uses engine oil for the injectors. If the oil is really dirty the engine will misfire. Tell your buddy to consider an oil change if its been awhile.

A code reader plugged into the OBD port will read the diagnostic trouble codes, many of which can be solved by the owner. A code reader has saved me considerably more money than the reader costs.

Here's a troubleshooting site:

http://www.hotshotsecret.com/diagnose/ford-pickup/
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:56 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

You have to have a code reader that will retrieve PSD codes. Generic code readers like the ones at the A/P stores wont work. That's why I said his friend needs to find a repair shop that can retrieve PSD codes if the CEL is on.

This forum isn't really the right place to try and diagnose truck engines, but I'm sure he appreciates the efforts. There are Ford Diesel specific forums he should probably look into. I don't think this is going to get fixed without a trip to a shop.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:29 PM   #8
Desert185

Google: autoenginuity 7.3

It reads PSD codes. Pep Boys or Autozone will usually read the codes for free. Get online and decode the codes or have PB/Autozone help resolve the issue with the proper part.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:27 PM   #9
robo

I am a 7.3 guy. Doing a body swap as we type.
Rough run could be alot
How many miles
Could try the fuel filter get a motorcraft only aftermarkets have alot of issues
Could be: fuel pump , dual tanks? does it do on both
Valve cover wiring harness
Also could be a blown fuse

Need more info
Can talk offline if need help message me
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:00 AM   #10
dfb
Gone Traveling

I'm guessing CPS SENSOR... Crankshaft Position Sensor....
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:11 AM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
This forum isn't really the right place to try and diagnose truck engines, but I'm sure he appreciates the efforts. There are Ford Diesel specific forums he should probably look into. .
x2 Let's try to keep the topics and discussions about problems focused on RV's rather than truck diesel engines.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:21 AM   #12
denverpilot

I don't see the harm in discussing tow vehicle issues here. The thread is clearly labeled and easy to skip. He may not get great advice, or he may run into some other RVer who's hit the same problem before.

I've learned more about utilization of my TV as a TV (and not some souped up street truck or all the other stuff found inmost diesel truck forums) on RV sites than I have on diesel truck sites.

I skip threads here about load leveling hitches and their setup every time I'm here, just by reading the subject line. It's important info for some and not for others. No big deal.

I think the TV discussions are great. Always keeping an ear to the ground for problems that I will want to avoid with the next one.

But here's hoping the 2001 Dodge runs for another 100,000 miles before I have to really worry about it.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:15 AM   #13
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpilot View Post
I don't see the harm in discussing tow vehicle issues here.
Agreed. Since we do have a sub forum dedicated to "Tow Vehicles", discussions about them would certainly be appropriate. However, that forum was not intended as a place to post about specific engine problems that a non member is having and to ask for suggestions as to the cause and possible remedy.

As was pointed out, there are forums that are specifically dedicated to diesel trucks of various makes and their engines which would probably be better suited to solving this person's engine issues. It is your experience that you have not found them overly helpful but they are used by many folks to discuss and "diagnose" diesel engine problems.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #14
denverpilot

Heh. Sounds like we agree. He may find great info at wherever the PowerStroke folks hang out. Or not.

Honestly the best money I've ever spent was after finding a mechanic who works on nothing but Dodge Cummins @festus2 !

He also debunked a whole lot of online forum stuff I had read about. He knows what works and what brings trucks back to his shop in a hurry.

I assume there's similar mechanics hiding somewhere for the Ford guys. I sure hope so anyway.

I hand him money very happily and I even send him gifts from the road when we find something he would like.

There's just no happiness in life like finding a great diesel truck mechanic.

Granted, he does a LOT of custom work for the racer kids or he wouldn't be able to specialize as much as he does. His personal truck, he plays around with a triple turbo system of his own design. It's scary fast, I hear. I still need to go ask him for a ride in it.

He's the guy who matter of factly told me that I have the light case on my Cummins that Cummins should have been forced to do a recall on, and we won't be putting any triple turbo'd setup on mine ever, without swapping cases. Unless of course I want to crack the case and have all the oil come pouring out somewhere very inconvenient. He said, "Not that you wanted that anyway -- we'll set you up right for towing heavy and get the steering rebuilt right, and then I won't see you again for another 100,000 miles."

Can't go wrong if you're in the Denver area and need work on a Dodge Cummins if you head on over to MaxTorq Diesel near Golden, CO.

A good diesel mechanic is worth his weight in gold. I hope the OP finds one.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:42 AM   #15
phinner

X2 what BigBadBob mentioned. Also, look at your ICP - front, driver's side valve cover. Pull the wires and see if things smooth out. If they do, replace the ICP and the wiring harness that goes to it. Unplugging will set defaults to the computer - a limp mode. You can drive it that way, but not tow anything.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Bruce & Tami
Carmichael, CA
'12 Cougar 28SGS, '18 Ford F250 CCSB, 6.7
3 kids, 6 G-kids, 3.1 dogs, 2 cats
phinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:42 PM   #16
Bamacamper

There could be numerous of things going on with,first get it scan for possible any codes. I would look at Ipr, and also when was the last time the fuel filters been changed?. Final did he get any bad fuel?. Good luck and let us know what he has found out.
Bamacamper is offline   Reply With Quote