Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2015, 03:46 AM   #1
Drakkar

Unhappy can i bypass my transfer swicth for now?

I have a question about my Esco ES50M-65N Automatic Transfer Switch. can I bypass it for now? My generator is not working right now. but I am in the process of fixing it. and yesterday as I walk in my camper I notice no AC power running, and then my dish receiver starts smoking, as I rip it out of the camper.
This was my first camper that I have bought. so I was bind when I bought this 2006 Raptor toy hauler 36' a year ago. I didn't know what I was getting to. I have had sitting one spot while I worked out of it. It is my home 365 a year. I have just changed jobs and pulled my 36' raptor Toy Hauler 1200miles, Now I understand that My axels are either bent or out of alignment so I went through 3 blowouts and the trip coast me an extra $900.00, that I wasn't wanting to spend.
Drakkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:37 AM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakkar View Post
I have a question about my Esco ES50M-65N Automatic Transfer Switch. can I bypass it for now? My generator is not working right now. but I am in the process of fixing it. and yesterday as I walk in my camper I notice no AC power running, and then my dish receiver starts smoking, as I rip it out of the camper.
This was my first camper that I have bought. so I was bind when I bought this 2006 Raptor toy hauler 36' a year ago. I didn't know what I was getting to. I have had sitting one spot while I worked out of it. It is my home 365 a year. I have just changed jobs and pulled my 36' raptor Toy Hauler 1200miles, Now I understand that My axels are either bent or out of alignment so I went through 3 blowouts and the trip coast me an extra $900.00, that I wasn't wanting to spend.
Not really following your questions? why do you want to bypass the transfer switch?? bad transfer switch?? If generator not functional for what ever reason the transfer switch will not transfer to the generator. IF SHORE POWER AVAILABLE transfer switch should be in shore power position and remain there until an output is sensed from the generator. Do you have a surge protector on your shore power?

As far as tires blowing, does this Raptor have the original Tires (2005/2006)??
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:58 AM   #3
Drakkar

ok sorry, transfer switch is bad no power coming out of contactor, no power except 12v in camper. I will order a transfer switch, but I can bypass with out an issue?
Tires where only a few years old but 4 out of the 6 have blown, its the side wall are ripping. When you look at the tires you can see they r not pointing the same way,, lol
Old 07-26-2015, 06:25 AM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

I see no reason why you can not bypass the transfer switch if you know it is bad and you plan on replacing it. If it were me I would try and use the same enclosure to splice together the SHORE POWER and Raptor main power cable. Remove all the internals from the existing transfer switch enclosure and use proper size connectors and tape to connect the two cables.

Sounds like you have plans to use your generator, and since you are planning on replacing your current transfer switch I suggest you replace that transfer switch with a transfer switch with included surge protection. Can see my comments/pictures in a previous post. Search either EMS, Transfer Switch, Surge protection. If you have a generator and want complete surge protection for your RAPTOR in my opinion this is the ONLY way to go!

NOT good when you can look at your RAPTOR wheels and they are not aligned

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 07-26-2015, 06:29 AM   #5
Drakkar

Thumbs up

Thank you for your quick response and I had read your post on the transfer switch u had talked on another post...
Old 07-26-2015, 06:37 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

If you use the search feature and type in "transfer switch recall" you will come across numerous posts about the transfer switch and a recall of this one: Iota ITS-50R.

Check to see if your transfer switch is this model and if so it has been recalled and should not be used until replaced. It has a history of malfunctioning and could cause serious damage.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:48 AM   #7
Drakkar

mine is a "Power 50 Transfer by ESCO ES50M-65N" I haven't been able to find a recall on it, I checked by keysone raptor 06 and found nothing,,
Old 07-26-2015, 06:50 AM   #8
Drakkar

my big concern is why did the dish receiver smoke out when everything else had no power ? I might need to check my gfi plug there it should have tripped,
Old 07-26-2015, 07:49 AM   #9
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakkar View Post
my big concern is why did the dish receiver smoke out when everything else had no power ? I might need to check my gfi plug there it should have tripped,
AS you know satellite receivers are powered by 120 VAC, so if RAPTOR has no 120VAC source hooked to it AND you have no inverter supplying power to that receiver I see no way it could be smoking. External heat source Since you only had 12 VDC available via your batteries are you sure it was not from some other 12 VDC device in the area?

As far as that transfer switch even if your transfer switch was recalled, I would take this opportunity to switch it out for one with surge protection. The hardest part of installing a new transfer switch with surge protection is tearing out the old one

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 07-26-2015, 10:49 AM   #10
Drakkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
AS you know satellite receivers are powered by 120 VAC, so if RAPTOR has no 120VAC source hooked to it AND you have no inverter supplying power to that receiver I see no way it could be smoking. External heat source Since you only had 12 VDC available via your batteries are you sure it was not from some other 12 VDC device in the area?

As far as that transfer switch even if your transfer switch was recalled, I would take this opportunity to switch it out for one with surge protection. The hardest part of installing a new transfer switch with surge protection is tearing out the old one
Well I have bypassed the transfer switch and I am thinking my inverter supplying power is going out. I don't have power at my wall plugs. I have power to my 120v lights and ceiling fan. I also have all of my 12v lights. And my AC unit run on fan only but trip out when the compressor kicks in, and I can only run one at a time. So I am back tracing and disconnecting as I go through the inverter. so I guess I will prob be looking for a new power inverter, any suggestions?
I just need to get my AC running, I might tie one in straight in with a breaker between.
I get this thing fixed I am trading it in.....
Old 07-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #11
Drakkar

Ok update my ac #2 will not come on with power from camper, and I have 120v at the connections. but if I disconnect for the camper and put a male plug and plug it in to a extension cord, it works fine. none of my wall 120 works at all. so should I replace the converter PARALLAX CONVERTER CHARGER 7455, I know I have to replace the transfer switch so I am thinking I will replace all of it with all new:
I can get all 3 replaced
WFCO ULTRA III DISTRIBUTION CENTER WF-8930/50 $80.00
Surge Guard Automatic Transfer Switch $210.00
PARALLAX CONVERTER CHARGER 7455 $220.00
shipping $23.00
I can get all 3 replace total $533.00

I think this might be the right move? what do you think