Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2015, 05:29 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic4 View Post
What is really bothersome about the front caps fading on all the RV's, is if our trucks or cars faded as bad as the RV's, we'd all be in complaining at our dealerships probably even 5 years afterwards. Definitely a different exterior manufacturing quality standard applies to the entire RV industry, except those shiny metal twinkies.
Those "shiny metal twinkies" aren't without their problems... The "brushed aluminum" exterior has a clear coat or plasticoat finish. When (and it happens often) that starts peeling, it's a mess !!!

On our 1968 Airstream, in 1970, the cost to refinish the peeling clear coat was $2700. Even the "ultimate RV" isn't without many of the same problems we face with our Keystone RV's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AIRSTREAM FINISH3.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	9589   Click image for larger version

Name:	AIRSTREAM FINISH4.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	9590   Click image for larger version

Name:	AIRSTREAM FINISH5.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	9591  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:48 AM   #22
steveh326

well dang it. Window shopping for our next camper and Laredo and Cougar are on the top of the list due to floorplans and features we like. I see some new Laredo's with a lighter color front cap I wonder if that was to try to address the fading issue of the dark brown or not.
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:08 AM   #23
twomad

If you look at 2 or 3 year old boats that have dark colored hulls they are faded. The only way to keep from fading is to buff it often (who wants to do that) or have it painted with arcrylic paint and clear coated, don't buy a trailer with dark colored caps. The paint option is a little expensive that's why there not done that way from the factory.
twomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:31 AM   #24
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomad View Post
If you look at 2 or 3 year old boats that have dark colored hulls they are faded. The only way to keep from fading is to buff it often (who wants to do that) or have it painted with arcrylic paint and clear coated, don't buy a trailer with dark colored caps. The paint option is a little expensive that's why there not done that way from the factory.
Boats don't fade that quick around here. Now 5-6 years with no care they will start to show some fade. Now with a colored gel coat you will have a much better chance of bringing the color back with some wet sanding and buffing even after many years of neglect.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:56 PM   #25
mavagrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfun View Post
I just pulled my trailer out of storage where it's been for the last 6 months and it has faded badly. It was fine when I left it there last April. I guess the FL sun is hard on it. It's out of warranty at 15 months. Hope a good waxing will help.
This is exactly what mine looked like. If you can, take it by LazyDays in Seffner, see if they can do anything for you. They did a good job with mine.
mavagrand is offline   Reply With Quote