Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2014, 07:03 AM   #1
rosede

Refrigerator not running on LP

Just got back from a trip. I initially turned on the refrigerator when I hooked up the camper thinking that the LP would fire up and cool down the camper while we were in route to out destination, about a two out drive.

When we arrived at our campground, it didn't seem like the fridge cooled down, but no big deal, I plugged into the campground AC. We still had to shop for food, so by time we got back, it had cooled down.

The issue was on the return trip. We didn't come straight home. We made two stops on the way home, about 10 hour trip total. But by time we got home, the refrigerator had lost most of its cool. Ice cream was soft, and other items where no longer as cold as they should have been.

The refrigerator is a Dometic with an on/off button and an automatic button. No other way to specify whether to go LP or AC. My old camper had a button that I could specify AC or LP. Oh, and a light specifying an error.

Is there a reason why it would lite? Is there a way that I can test the unit?

Thanks.

Daryl

rosede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:09 AM   #2
Javi

My first thought would be a weak battery, next a control board... That is if the stove worked on propane so we can be sure that the fridge was getting propane.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:14 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

The fridge can be run on propane while you are on the road. Depending upon the Dometic model, the controls vary slightly from one to another. When it is set to AUTO, the fridge will automatically select between AC and propane. If there is no AC available, it will go to gas but as soon as AC becomes available, it will automatically go to AC.

On ours, when it is set to AUTO and while travelling, it is functioning on gas and will keep the contents cold during the whole trip.

If this doesn't work for you then look for the problem(s) outlined by Javi in his post.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:44 PM   #4
rosede

Thanks for the reply gentelman.

I was poking around on Dometic's site just now and found a owner's manual. I don't know the model off the top of my head so I just picked a refrigerator at random and started reading.

I found this in the manual:

GAS mode
The GAS mode indictor lamp is illuminated. This mode provides LP gas only. The control system activates the ignition system and attempts to light the burner for a period of approx. 45 sec. at two minutes interval. If unsuccessful, the CHECK indicator lamp will illuminate. To restart GAS operation, press the ON/OFF button to OFF and then back ON. The control system attempts a new ignition sequence.

Purging air from the lines
If the refrigerator has not been used for a long time - or - the LP tanks have just been refilled, air may be trapped in the supply lines. To purge the air from the lines, turn the refrigerator off and on by pressing the ON/OFF button. If the flame is not lit within 45 seconds, turn the refrigerator off and back on again. This procedure can be repeated 3 to 4 times. If repeated attempts fail to start the LP gas operation, check to make sure that the LP gas supply tanks are not empty and that all manual shutoff valves in the lines are open.

Interesting. I did have to replace one LP bottle refill both LP bottles this past spring. One grew leg's and walked off and the other was drained. I figured that the person borrowed the first one, and after it was drained, he returned it, borrowed the second bottle, but failed to return it.

However, if I use the stove, which I have twice now, I would think that the air in the gas lines would have rectified itself by now. Unless there is still air in the line going from the main line to the refrigerator, in which case it shouldn't take to much to clear up.

I'll give this a try tonight and report back.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Daryl

Old 07-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
outwest

On another trailer we had (after changing a propane tank), if the central heat was lit before the fridge or stove was, we'd get air trapped in the line and the fridge wouldn't work on propane. Same thing if lit the hot water tank before the fridge. Had to start from the front of the trailer and work towards the back, lighting each propane item as we went, before the fridge would work on propane. Hope that helps.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:58 AM   #6
rosede

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwest View Post
On another trailer we had (after changing a propane tank), if the central heat was lit before the fridge or stove was, we'd get air trapped in the line and the fridge wouldn't work on propane. Same thing if lit the hot water tank before the fridge. Had to start from the front of the trailer and work towards the back, lighting each propane item as we went, before the fridge would work on propane. Hope that helps.
Outwest,

Would the same go for the hot water heater? I was at the camper last night trying to figure out why the refrigerator wasn't igniting and I tried igniting the hot water heater. There is a "fault" light on the control panel which lit up when I tried turning on the hot water LP.

This is concerning to me. Neither the refrigerator nor the hot water is working on gas right now. Is it just because there is air in the lines?

Thanks

Daryl

Old 07-15-2014, 03:58 AM   #7
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosede View Post
Outwest,

Would the same go for the hot water heater? I was at the camper last night trying to figure out why the refrigerator wasn't igniting and I tried igniting the hot water heater. There is a "fault" light on the control panel which lit up when I tried turning on the hot water LP.

This is concerning to me. Neither the refrigerator nor the hot water is working on gas right now. Is it just because there is air in the lines?

Thanks

Daryl
Just a thought... neither the fridge nor the HW will light if the battery is low. Just had this happen to me in June, when my battery developed a short and would show fully charged until a load was applied and then it showed dead. Fridge attempted to light several times as did the HW but neither would light. After replacing the battery, both work just fine.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:11 AM   #8
rosede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Just a thought... neither the fridge nor the HW will light if the battery is low. Just had this happen to me in June, when my battery developed a short and would show fully charged until a load was applied and then it showed dead. Fridge attempted to light several times as did the HW but neither would light. After replacing the battery, both work just fine.
A bad battery is possible. I had a battery issue earlier this year. I had the camper in last fall for some warranty repainting work. The body shop took the battery off to do the repainting, but installed it backwards. I didn't discover that until just recently.

Our first outing was two weeks ago, and things weren't working correctly. The AC wouldn't run, and other issues. I finally discovered that the two 40 AMP fuses were blown, fuses that protect the camper from a reversed hooked up battery. Once I replaced the fuses, everything seemed to work just fine. Perhaps that the reversed battery hookup ruined the battery?

I guess I should take it off and down to a battery shop to see if they can test it and get it replaced if needed.

Thanks Javi.

Daryl

Old 07-15-2014, 08:02 AM   #9
outwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosede View Post
Outwest,

Thanks

Daryl
It depends on the order in which it sits with the other items, in respect to the tanks. But yeah, it's possible. And, like Javi posted, it could also be a 12V issue.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #10
jkohler70

Check the interior lights while disconnected from the tow vehicle and shore power. No (or dim) lights = bad battery.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:23 AM   #11
rosede

Hello all, Just thought that I would give a quick update.

I finally had the opportunity work on this today and I'm happy to report, that both the refrigerator and hot water heater are both now working. I'm guessing that it was in fact air in the lines.

I stopped by the camper a couple of day's ago and tried the steps to clear the gas line that I read about in the users manual. However, for whatever reason, it didn't seem to work. At least I didn't think so. Perhaps I was just being impatient.

I finally had a chance to get back over to the storage unit this morning and look at the both the refrigerator and hot water heater.

Before I turned on the gas and battery, I made sure that the refrigerator switch was in the off position, and the LP button turned on. As soon as I turned on the battery and gas, and turned on the refrigerator, it lit on gas. I then tried the hot water heater. The fault light came on at first, but quickly turned off, and lit.

I'll just have to remember this and use this as a learning experience. It seems like I'm always learning something new with this camper. My first camper was much smaller and easier to work with. With this one, I am still learning different things about it with every outing.

Thank you for your help.

Daryl

Old 07-19-2014, 06:26 AM   #12
Javi

Glad to hear you got it working with minimal expense...