Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
greengiant

Ever bent a power tongue jack?

Had some service done two weeks ago. I went back to pick up the TT and the power tongue jack shaft was bent. Since I don't know how to make a long story short, I'll give what I call pertinent details

I dropped my trailer right in front of the store on level ground with no chock to tires and two blocks under the tongue jack so that it didn't have to be extended out all the way for unhooking. I get back to pick up the TT about 3:30 and a guy is just bringing it out to park in the lot. He was using a pick up, as they said their tractor/3 point hitch was out of commission for the day. I pull up by the guy as he's backing into a space on a slight downward incline. He starts unhooking. I instictively jump out and grab a block of wood and stick it behind a tire before he fully unhooks. He pulls away. I look at the service (adding an awning), and all is well. I decide to go inside, finish up any paper work, and then hook up after.

Come out 25 minutes later and start hooking up and once I lower the tongue onto the ball, the jack begins to strain, even though there is no weight on the thing. I extend it back out and look and it is obviously bent (bottom of jack is bent towards truck). I wish I kept it or took a picture.

This is the jack:
http://www.amazon.com/Barker-VIP-Pow...pr_product_top

Mine had the foot fall off last year after about two uses, and I just left it off, as the shaft is just about solid steel, except the very center.

The good part, which I plan to explain in 'Keystone/Service Kudos' is that the service manager immediately took it off and installed a new one. My question is: could a slight incline have caused a major bent like that (such that I could see a ring on the lower(inner) shaft from where the outer shaft dug in)? Or was this a case of a service tech catching it on a concrete lip, or backing into it with a truck and knocking it off of a block backwards and hitting the ground???? I could see one of these getting bent if it were hollow, but that thing was solid.
greengiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
outwest

I routinely put jacks through the wringer, by leaving hitch on trailer and backing onto the square stinger with the receiver (and sometimes scooting the trailer in the process), and never bent one. But, I've always had a foot on the jack and can see how, without a foot, the tube would be more prone to catching and bending rather than scooting.

edit to add - if it were merely parked on a slight incline, and didn't get scooted, etc., then no, I don't see that being enough to bend it.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:30 AM   #3
Terrydactile

I don't believe the jack got bent by the trailer being on an incline and moving one way or the other unless the bottom of the jack could not slide IE, dug into the ground or pavement. Its more likely the service folks bent it by dragging the jack on the ground when moving it for service. Just my thoughts.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:49 AM   #4
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrydactile View Post
I don't believe the jack got bent by the trailer being on an incline and moving one way or the other unless the bottom of the jack could not slide IE, dug into the ground or pavement. Its more likely the service folks bent it by dragging the jack on the ground when moving it for service. Just my thoughts.
X2,
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:27 AM   #5
greengiant

Thanks for the input. Based on these experiences, and the fact that I saw it get unhooked and not scoot or slide (I chocked wheel, and they tech put a block under post), then I agree, that it happened at some point during the servicing of the unit earlier in the day.
greengiant is offline   Reply With Quote