Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Hot Water Heater Drain Plug Leaks

We have owned our 2014 Cougar High Country 319RLS for about 2 months. We are on our maiden trip to FL and have been in it about one month. About 2 weeks after we got here I went out one morning and water was spouting thru the vents on the outside hot water cover. The plastic drain plug had developed a small crack and was blowing water out the vent. I went to Camping World and bought another one and installed it. That was about 2 weeks ago. This morning when I went out I had the same blowing water situation and the same small crack in the plastic drain plug (replaced it again). Shouldn't they last longer than that?

I read that you can't put a brass plug in a steel tank etc. etc. and have asked Keystone what the tank is made of but they apparently don't know since that was 2 days ago. It seems to be the only answer but I can't figure the plastic plug developing cracks that quickly or what would cause that kind of pressure or? My only thought is that I always turn on both the gas and electric heaters when I take a shower at night and have forgotten to turn off the gas one on a few nights. Would that have some effect on the plug? I wouldn't think that the temp or pressure would get that high/hot. Has anyone got any ideas on what would cause something like that? If there is some underlying problem I sure want to find it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:05 AM   #2
rjsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
We have owned our 2014 Cougar High Country 319RLS for about 2 months. We are on our maiden trip to FL and have been in it about one month. About 2 weeks after we got here I went out one morning and water was spouting thru the vents on the outside hot water cover. The plastic drain plug had developed a small crack and was blowing water out the vent. I went to Camping World and bought another one and installed it. That was about 2 weeks ago. This morning when I went out I had the same blowing water situation and the same small crack in the plastic drain plug (replaced it again). Shouldn't they last longer than that?

I read that you can't put a brass plug in a steel tank etc. etc. and have asked Keystone what the tank is made of but they apparently don't know since that was 2 days ago. It seems to be the only answer but I can't figure the plastic plug developing cracks that quickly or what would cause that kind of pressure or? My only thought is that I always turn on both the gas and electric heaters when I take a shower at night and have forgotten to turn off the gas one on a few nights. Would that have some effect on the plug? I wouldn't think that the temp or pressure would get that high/hot. Has anyone got any ideas on what would cause something like that? If there is some underlying problem I sure want to find it.
Could be the over pressure relief valve is stuck.

Try manually pulling the lever next time your heater has warmed up, just stand back a bit when you do it in case of it spewing out some real hot water.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:26 AM   #3
Javi

The biggest problem with the plastic plugs is that folks think they got to screw them in to bottom... They are a pipe thread and are not intended to bottom. Get a new one and some Teflon tape. wrap the tape around the threads so that the tape is tightening as the plug is screwed in.

Don't over tighten, snug is your friend...

Atwood heaters are aluminum and use a plastic plug, do NOT us a steel or brass plug.

Suburban heaters are steel and use a metal plug with an anode attached.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:56 AM   #4
Javi

When tightening the plug it is best done by screwing it in by hand until tight then using a deep socket, tighten it hand tight before using the ratchet to make a 1/2 turn past hand tight. And yes it will still easily turn more, but DON'T... SNUG is your friend.... it is plastic

These plugs are designed to be replaced at least once a year. I always keep several spares with me. I also keep the tools to remove them should they break, including a pipe tap to chase the threads should they need it. You'd be surprised at the number of times I've had to help someone fix their leaking plug, and the look on their face when I tell them they're supposed to replace it regularly.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:29 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks. I do use teflon tape and don't overtighten. I had bought a brass plug but did not install it since I could not find out what the tank was made of - although I may put it in (for a short period) if the plugs keep splitting every 2 weeks. I'm thinking about putting a layer of epoxy on/in the head of the plug. They seem to always split in the thinnest portion of the head. Maybe an 1/8" layer of epoxy would eliminate the issue but the fact that it is happening concerns me. Is this a common problem? I'll check the pressure relief valve to be sure it isn't malfunctioning but......?
Old 05-07-2014, 07:47 AM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Thanks. I do use teflon tape and don't overtighten. I had bought a brass plug but did not install it since I could not find out what the tank was made of - although I may put it in (for a short period) if the plugs keep splitting every 2 weeks. I'm thinking about putting a layer of epoxy on/in the head of the plug. They seem to always split in the thinnest portion of the head. Maybe an 1/8" layer of epoxy would eliminate the issue but the fact that it is happening concerns me. Is this a common problem? I'll check the pressure relief valve to be sure it isn't malfunctioning but......?
No it isn't a common problem as far as I know. Are you sure that the plugs you're buying are rated for HOT water.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:33 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I'm sure they are rated for hot water. I bought them at Camping World in Tallahassee and asked for hot water heater drain plugs. They sold me a 2 pack and I also bought a hot water heater drain kit that had a wrench and plug. I wrote the first one off to it being a new RV and maybe it had sat around or something and deteriorated, but now I'm on the 3rd plug and getting a bit concerned. I'll have it back in TX next week and guess I'll have the dealership look it over but I don't have much faith in that.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
Javi

Quote:
I'm sure they are rated for hot water. I bought them at Camping World in Tallahassee and asked for hot water heater drain plugs. They sold me a 2 pack and I also bought a hot water heater drain kit that had a wrench and plug. I wrote the first one off to it being a new RV and maybe it had sat around or something and deteriorated, but now I'm on the 3rd plug and getting a bit concerned. I'll have it back in TX next week and guess I'll have the dealership look it over but I don't have much faith in that.
If I had to guess I'd go buy me a pop-off valve and put it in. By the way and just an off chance... is there a plug in the pop-off valve?
Old 05-07-2014, 09:07 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

I'm about to the point that I think it has something to do with pressure. Can't figure what would make the plugs crack like that (tiny split). The pressure relief valve is not plugged and seems to work just fine. Guess I'll ask them to put a new relief valve in it when I get back and see if that works (or put it in myself if they won't do it on warranty . In the meantime I suppose I'll need to carry a box of plugs.......
Old 05-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #10
Javi

Quote:
I'm about to the point that I think it has something to do with pressure. Can't figure what would make the plugs crack like that (tiny split). The pressure relief valve is not plugged and seems to work just fine. Guess I'll ask them to put a new relief valve in it when I get back and see if that works (or put it in myself if they won't do it on warranty . In the meantime I suppose I'll need to carry a box of plugs.......
I'd like to see a photo of the plug with the split, maybe my engineer brain can see if it's splitting at a mold parting line or something.

In all my years I've never seen a plug split, I have seen the center of the hex part pop out. Some of the plugs you can buy have a very thin top or hex and a deep countersink on the threaded side and others are solid.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #11
Sicapo

Hot Water Heater Drain Plug Leaks

[QUOTE=Javi;126154] "Atwood heaters are aluminum and use a plastic plug, do NOT us a steel or brass plug. "

And what would be the concequences of doing that?
(cause I think that´s what I did...)

2013 Passport 195RB
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 3,6L
Sicapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Javi - Yes, it is splitting in the center of the hex portion. It doesn't break the center out but makes a tiny split that follows the counter bored area inside the threads. The solid section of the hex where it is bored is very thin. If they make plugs that are solid that would fix the problem.

Sicapo - I think the consequences of putting the brass fitiing in will be electrolysis between the two metals over time. After it has been in a while it will sort of fuse to the other metal and become very difficult to remove. Yours looks pretty good from the outside but you can't see what's happening on the inner threads.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #13
Festus2
Site Team

[QUOTE=Sicapo;126267]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
"Atwood heaters are aluminum and use a plastic plug, do NOT us a steel or brass plug. "

And what would be the concequences of doing that?
(cause I think that´s what I did...)

Sicapo -
As has already been mentioned using a steel or brass plug will result in electrolysis between the aluminum tank and the plug. This reaction will usually take place when you have two dissimilar metals in a liquid solution such as water. Over time, the plug will become "fused" to the tank and you won't be able to remove it.
Another possible reaction is that if you cross thread the tank plug opening with a harder metal than the aluminum, then you might have to replace the tank entirely - according to the Atwood hot water heater website.
It seems that there is a product which is supposed to act as a seal between a metal plug and an aluminum tank thus preventing any reaction between the two different metals to take place. The product is Devcon Permatex High Performance Thread Sealant. I have no idea whether this thread sealant works as advertised.
If I were you, I would remove the metal plug that you have in your Atwood heater and replace it with a nylon one and follow the directions given by Javi about how to insert and tighten it properly.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #14
bobbecky

You might give Atwood a call and see what they say about the plugs not holding up. They might have a solution.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #15
B&T

Every time we have the gas and electric on at the same time my pressure relief valve does it's job and releases water.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #16
bobbecky

Turn off electric and gas, let heater cool, and remove the drain plug. You need to create an air pocket at the top of the water heater. That will stop the drip from the PRV. We only run on both when we know we will need more hot water in a short time. It is perfectly normal for the dripping, doesn't really hurt anything. We are fulltime, so shutting down the water heater for a little drip is a waste of time, so it drips sometimes.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks to all for all the help and suggestions. Sorry for the slow reply but we've been trying to move from FL to TX and fight all the rain, storms etc.

As Javi mentioned I think I will try to find some plugs with a thicker head or put a layer of epoxy in some new ones when I get home. I will also call Atwood as was suggested and see if they have any ideas.

We really appreciate all the help and assistance given on this site. Hopefully we'll make it back home without another plug episode and get this resolved.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #18
dtas

I not trying to hyjack this thread, but, I've got a dump question on this subject...why can't you use a brass plug? Isn't the pressure relief valve a brass fixture?

Me-Danny
DW-Lynn
BigDog-Kelley
LittleDog-Kroozer
LittleCat-Dottie
NewCat-Billie
'98DodgeRam1500/ClubCab/4X4
'14Springdale202QBWE
dtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:48 PM   #19
AlbertaRvMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
When tightening the plug it is best done by screwing it in by hand until tight then using a deep socket, tighten it hand tight before using the ratchet to make a 1/2 turn past hand tight. And yes it will still easily turn more, but DON'T... SNUG is your friend.... it is plastic

These plugs are designed to be replaced at least once a year. I always keep several spares with me. I also keep the tools to remove them should they break, including a pipe tap to chase the threads should they need it. You'd be surprised at the number of times I've had to help someone fix their leaking plug, and the look on their face when I tell them they're supposed to replace it regularly.
Hi Javi,

I am a newbie and I fear I may have over tightened my plastic plug. I used a 15/16 socket.

I had applied Teflon tape and was only able to tighten a single thread by hand, I figured that was not enough and tightened it a lot more, to the point the hex shape started to round. Now I am fearful I will not be able to get this plug out (how will I get it out?) have I damaged the tank?

I am trying to order spares but amazon.ca does not show any (I am in canada).

Another side question, do you know the low point drain cap size? I want to get some spares for those as well.

Thank you.