Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #1
ocho

New suspension installed!!

Folks. Spent a few hours installing the new Dexter EZ Flex Equalizer suspension components. I am very impressed with the ride quality and smoothness of how my 300 mp tows now. Now more clanking or creaking when cornering. Its a complete shame that Keystone wont own up to the deficiency of their factory installed hangers and shackle. Especially the fact that they use plastic bushings and NO way to lubricate these bushings. The owner is faced with just dealing with it when they fail. And they will fail. Anyhoo, check the pics below for the before and after. BTW, this system was 168.00 from Nicks truck supplies. I gotta imagine that the wholesale price would be considerably less, especially when ordered in bulk. Keystone could make the components this sturdy or buy directly from EZ Flex. Pass it on to the consumer. Id rather pay 100.00 more for this suspension than what they install. Shame on you Keystone!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00240[1].jpg
Views:	281
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	5478   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00236[1].jpg
Views:	242
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	5479   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00266[1].jpg
Views:	269
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	5480   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00267[1].jpg
Views:	261
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	5481  
ocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
hankaye

ocho, Howdy;

Well done, good lookin' DIY project.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
mguay

Looks Great!

Enjoy the ride!
Old 04-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
DiverB

On Keystone's website under videos for the Fuzion 390 that I'm planning on buying, it shows Dexter EZ Lube and flipped axles. Am I still going to need to do this mod then? That's some horse crap that I'm spending $60k+ on a new toy hauler knowing that I'll have to spend more money on suspension just to use the trailer.
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/199482.png
DiverB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #5
ocho

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverB View Post
On Keystone's website under videos for the Fuzion 390 that I'm planning on buying, it shows Dexter EZ Lube and flipped axles. Am I still going to need to do this mod then? That's some horse crap that I'm spending $60k+ on a new toy hauler knowing that I'll have to spend more money on suspension just to use the trailer.
Does it show it installed from the factory or as an option? If its installed from the factory, you should be good to go. If its an option, opted for it.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
mguay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocho View Post
Does it show it installed from the factory or as an option? If its installed from the factory, you should be good to go. If its an option, opted for it.

Even if it shows the EzFlex...I doubt it will have bronze bushings and HD shackles!
Old 04-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #7
therink

I am pretty sure that the bronze bushings and wet bolts arenot availlable on any brand. I did this upgrade 2 yrs ago on my last Keystone fiver and then traded it the following year. I plan to install the kit on my current rig soon, before the junk stock parts fail. It made a noticeable difference in Towing performance. The trader rode differently, smoother. I did it myself and took about 2 hrs per side.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:58 PM   #8
ocho

I just watched the video you referred to. Its just the hubs that are lube able. Which is not big deal cause most trailers come that way. Chances are the axles, shackles, and hangers are not serviceable. ITs an easy check when you look at them. Just check for zerk fittings on the shackle bolts. You maybe spending that kinda money and still have to replace the parts. But in their defense, and I give them very little defense, I doubt any toyhauler out there came from the factory with the Dexter set up.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

I think therink is right. As far as I know, none of the Keystone lines come with bronze bushing or wet bolts. Some of the new models are being shipped with self adjusting brakes and equaflex installed, but the bolts/bushings are dry and plastic. I haven't thought to look at my bolts on the equaflex, they may have bronze bushings and wet bolts there, but I know the other bolts are dry with plastic bushings, so Cougar isn't helping.... Pretty much all the lines are now being shipped with EZ-lube hubs.

There was a lot of somewhat related discussion in the hearings today about GM's problem with the ignition switch. One of the factors in not changing the switch sooner was reported to be the cost. The change was supposed to cost GM $0.90 per unit. If less than a dollar was that big of a consideration, it's no wonder that changing out a $100 suspension component would be hard for Keystone to justify. As much as we would all like to see it happen, it looks like keeping the competitive edge is going to win this "wish".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:06 PM   #10
concours

I just finished installing the Mor-ryde HD shackles, wet bolts and X Factor cross members. I couldn't believe how bad the nylon bushings and stock shackles were after 1 season. I feel much better knowing that there is some strength there now.
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:06 PM   #11
ocho

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think therink is right. As far as I know, none of the Keystone lines come with bronze bushing or wet bolts. Some of the new models are being shipped with self adjusting brakes and equaflex installed, but the bolts/bushings are dry and plastic. I haven't thought to look at my bolts on the equaflex, they may have bronze bushings and wet bolts there, but I know the other bolts are dry with plastic bushings, so Cougar isn't helping.... Pretty much all the lines are now being shipped with EZ-lube hubs.

There was a lot of somewhat related discussion in the hearings today about GM's problem with the ignition switch. One of the factors in not changing the switch sooner was reported to be the cost. The change was supposed to cost GM $0.90 per unit. If less than a dollar was that big of a consideration, it's no wonder that changing out a $100 suspension component would be hard for Keystone to justify. As much as we would all like to see it happen, it looks like keeping the competitive edge is going to win this "wish".
The suspension parts I changed were Equaflex. Apparently, the cheapest one they could make and still get it down the road. Dry bolts and plastic bushings.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #12
ocho

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
I just finished installing the Mor-ryde HD shackles, wet bolts and X Factor cross members. I couldn't believe how bad the nylon bushings and stock shackles were after 1 season. I feel much better knowing that there is some strength there now.
Another disappointed/satisfied customer. It truly is a shame that we as owners have to change these components in order to feel completely confident.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
The suspension parts I changed were Equaflex. Apparently, the cheapest one they could make and still get it down the road. Dry bolts and plastic bushings.
I typed that, then thought,,,, NO, I've got the Mor-ryde system on mine... I walked over to check for sure... It's the Blue Mor-ryde CRE-3000 system... It may well be the cheapest thing Mor-ryde builds, who knows. Anyway, I forgot to take a flash light and it was too dark to see the bolts in it and whether there were any bronze bushings in the assembly. I know the springs have plastic bushings.

I know Keystone won't install it as a part of the "standard build" I wonder if they'd consider offering it as an optional item for say $125-200 ?? I'd gladly pay that price just not to have the hassle... I'm wondering though, how many "newbies" would even know of importance of the option and if Keystone would sell enough of them to even make it worth their while to offer it????? It would be a nice choice if available.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #14
ocho

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I typed that, then thought,,,, NO, I've got the Mor-ryde system on mine... I walked over to check for sure... It's the Blue Mor-ryde CRE-3000 system... It may well be the cheapest thing Mor-ryde builds, who knows. Anyway, I forgot to take a flash light and it was too dark to see the bolts in it and whether there were any bronze bushings in the assembly. I know the springs have plastic bushings.

I know Keystone won't install it as a part of the "standard build" I wonder if they'd consider offering it as an optional item for say $125-200 ?? I'd gladly pay that price just not to have the hassle... I'm wondering though, how many "newbies" would even know of importance of the option and if Keystone would sell enough of them to even make it worth their while to offer it????? It would be a nice choice if available.
Yeah, can you imagine the amount of these out there unmodified and the newbies hauling them? I agree with the idea of it being an option, but look at it this way. Say your givin the option of an Upgraded and stronger suspension system and you didn't take it. And Keystone convinced you that the standard suspension was adequate, like they do now, You'd constantly have that in the back of your mind. It should be standard...period!!
Old 04-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Maybe it should be, but I don't think you'd ever convince the "bean counters" at any RV manufacturer to spend $100+ on something they can "stick a cheap part on and get by".

I'm sure others will argue that a bigger A/C, or better tires, or a range hood with outside exhaust, or LED lights or something else "ought to be standard too".... They all would be nice, some are safety related, some aren't. With all the competition to sell in a certain price range and still make "X" profit on every unit.... There's not much (if any) fudge factor to start adding anything and stay in the game. Sad that it has to be that way, but all of the manufacturers are caught up in that part of the selling game.

I totally agree with you, the current suspension is woefully inadequate, but if GM balks at 90 cents, you can bet Keystone, or Forest River or anybody else is going to balk even more at $100. That doesn't make it right, but ......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-03-2014, 02:25 AM   #16
DiverB

Quote:
I just watched the video you referred to. Its just the hubs that are lube able. Which is not big deal cause most trailers come that way. Chances are the axles, shackles, and hangers are not serviceable. ITs an easy check when you look at them. Just check for zerk fittings on the shackle bolts. You maybe spending that kinda money and still have to replace the parts. But in their defense, and I give them very little defense, I doubt any toyhauler out there came from the factory with the Dexter set up.
Looks like only the Cyclone Toy Haulers come with Dexter Axles. I went to the Dexter website, but until I buy my Fuzion 390, I don't know which kit I will have to purchase. I don't know if the 390 comes with 33" or 35". I noticed there are 2 different kits. It appears I can do this myself in an afternoon. Too bad Keystone doesn't install these from the factory like the Heartland Cyclone does.

2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/199482.png
DiverB is offline   Reply With Quote