Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
danimal

Brake help

I have a small 2005 5er I purchased several months ago so I have no history on the unit. It seems as though the trailer brakes are either not working or barely working. My truck has a built in brake controller and whether I set it at 3 or 10 it does not seem to make a difference. With my previous small travel trailer if I set it above 3 I could feel the trailer braking before the truck braked. I had my DW in the truck and she applied the brakes and I went around to each wheel and I could hear the clicking, so I know that something is trying to work. I pulled 1 drum which looked great, the shoes were hardly worn and the magnet did not seem to be very worn either. While the drum was off, I moved the mechanisim by hand and that seems function appropriately. I have read how you can test the magnets' amperage using a battery and a meter although I have not done that yet.

Do the brake magnets fail with age? I am pretty sure the trailer has low mileage: the tires look original (I am replacing them tomorrow) as they all match with lots of tread and all dated the same (0504); and the limited brake wear. Since the trailer is 8-9 years old would it make sense to just replace the entire brake assemblies? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

2005 Keystone Hornet 245RKS
2008 Gulf Stream Trailmaster M220
Cobia 220 Walkaround w/Yamaha 200 OX-66 Fuel injection
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
jsmith948

You need to check that the brakes are properly adjusted. You say you can hear something clicking in each wheel. When the brakes are applied, you should hear the magnets energize ( a low hum or buzzing sound) the clicking could be the magnet attaching itself to the drum., although, mine do not click. I wonder if you have a weak or loose connection in the brake harness? I would jack up one wheel at a time, adjust the brake, then spin the wheel while the DW applies the brake. The wheel should stop immediately and with authority. I have never checked the amperage at each wheel, but the dexter manual (available online) outlines this test. Hopefully, some of the other members will jump in with additional/better advice. Good luck and keep us posted.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
danimal

So many things to check but I found the problem. The socket for the brake connection on the 7 blade trailer plug was spread out, not making a solid connection. Had to pursuade a little with a screwdriver and now it has a solid connection. Thank you
2005 Keystone Hornet 245RKS
2008 Gulf Stream Trailmaster M220
Cobia 220 Walkaround w/Yamaha 200 OX-66 Fuel injection
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote