Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
rnkburg

Hot water heater electric side keeps going out

I have the 2012 raptor 300 mp with the 12 gallon hot water heater in it. I already had to have the electric heat element replaced under warranty, and on our last trip it went out again. This was only the second use sense being replaced. So what am I doing wrong, why is this heating element keep failing.

This last time when I turned on the hot water heater...electric only.. you could smell it , had to run on gas for the rest of the trip

Any suggestions, we dont drain our water heater after each use , as we have never had to do this with any other rv we have ever had

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:09 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Usually the only reason for an element to fail other than turning on dry is a faulty thermostat. Did the water seem exceptionally hot before it failed or is it possible the tank is draining between trips? Of course there is the chance that the replacement was faulty when installed. Are you sure the element is burned out or just the wires to it??? JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #3
rnkburg

I have really hot water when it works and on gas as well. I haven't pulled it apart yet to see about wires
Old 07-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkburg View Post
I have really hot water when it works and on gas as well. I haven't pulled it apart yet to see about wires
Also try resetting it first. Reset buttons are under the black rubber and marked of all things "RESET". There are two spots marked RESET but only one works but press both anyway. (I have never been able to figure that one out. )
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
rnkburg

I have seen those and tried to press them, they don't move. Even followed instructions in manual and on water heater door plate

Old 07-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
Heliumhel

Are you running the hot water to ensure the tank is full before switching it on? On my raptor I run with both electric and gas switched on, haven't had this issue.
Heliumhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
rnkburg

Yes I am in fact this time it heated fine for a few days on our trip then had to go to gas. And we never disconnected from water

Old 08-15-2013, 06:25 AM   #8
geeman

electric thermostat

Mine did not work and the two resets were not tripped. (yes, there are two thermo disk limit switches under the black buttons). So I took off the black cover to find there are actually 4 thermostats in there. 2 are connected with a hard wire to the thermodisks. One of the hard wire ends had popped off the thermostat. Soldiered back on and works like a champ.... of course after I had replaced the element.

Anyway, yours could be the same and the wire is heating up and becoming disconnected. ?? Check for voltage at the element and then at these thermostats. you may have to take all of the gas piping out of the way to get at the screws holding in the black cover.

Hope you get her fixed...
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
bscotty

sw10de

Not sure if this is your problem. My element stopped working also and I too noticed a burning smell. Note the burnt electrical connector in the attached picture. The thermostat on the left operates the electric side. The thermostat on the right operates the gas side. When I removed the thermostat I found damage to it from excessive heat as well. I believe the cause to have been a loose electrical connection. After replacing the wire, connectors, and thermostat I am back in hot water.

Good luck.
Scotty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-08-16-11-42-25.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	3921  
bscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:32 AM   #10
gwperkins

Slightly Different Problem ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscotty View Post
Not sure if this is your problem. My element stopped working also and I too noticed a burning smell. Note the burnt electrical connector in the attached picture. The thermostat on the left operates the electric side. The thermostat on the right operates the gas side. When I removed the thermostat I found damage to it from excessive heat as well. I believe the cause to have been a loose electrical connection. After replacing the wire, connectors, and thermostat I am back in hot water.

Good luck.
Scotty.
In our situation, the electric element will trip the breaker on our 2012 3450RL. I have ensured the tank is ful before engaging the rocker swith on the WH but the breaker will always trip. Works fine on Gas. Thoughts?

Thanks
Glenn
gwperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
bscotty

Water heater

Hi Glenn,

I am in every definition of the word amateur when it comes to these things. Somehow I usually manage to fumble my way thru them. If it were me i would take the cover off the thermostat and heating element if you haven't done that already and have a good look at everything. Is your breaker inside the trailer tripping as soon as you put power to it or does it work for a while before this happens? If it is immediate I would guess that you have a short to ground somewhere. If you mean the reset on the thermostat itself is tripping, then it is more than likely the thermostat. As I stated before I really don't have the knowledge to advise others. I was merely sharing my experience. Hope you get her figured out.

Scotty.
bscotty is offline   Reply With Quote