Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
Quiroule

Goodyear Marathon tires

Someone told me that the Goodyear Marathon tires are now made back in USA. Can anyone confirm that?

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
RdRmr

Quiroule,

The last set of four that I purchased in Feb. 2010 were made in the USA, all with a manufacture date of 3509. The ones I had prior to that were China. Can't say for sure today though. Will be looking for a new set in a couple months, over twenty thousand miles on these ones so far. No issues. Keep your speed down and don't overload em.
One thing I have noticed is that all trailer tires from China have one less ply. They have only one nylon ply on the tread. My USA Marathons have two polyester, two steel, two nylon on the tread and two polyester on the side wall. Load range D. Ten ply rating, how they determine that, I'm not sure. Have never found any info the tire manufacturers use as a base line.
Even the Maxxis 8008s are short one ply, friend of mine just bought a set. Time will tell. They are supposed to be the hot ticket right now. Hope this helps. Happy Campin..

2016 KZ Durango 315RKD
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW, CCLB, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin.
Curt puck legs w/Curt Q16 head
VET/USMC
RdRmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

The Maxxis 8008's that are on our 5th have 1 nylon ply rating on the tread but 2 poly and 2 steel on the tread plus 2 ply sidewall. Is this what you mean by being "short one ply"? (1 instead of 2 nylon on the tread)
Old 07-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Quiroule -

According to one online source, "Goodyear tires are made in 10 plants in the USA and Canada, plus in many other countries in South America, Africa, Europe, Australia and Asia". After some searching on the Internet, I couldn't find anything specific about Goodyear Marathons but they could be manufactured in the US according to the very "worldly and all inclusive statement above. Seems like they could be made anywhere, China included --- - except Antarctica.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
RdRmr

The Marathons I have, have six ply's on the tread and two on the side wall. All the China tires I've seen are all short one nylon ply on the tread, only five total. How they can get a ten ply rating, "D" load range with five or six actual tread ply's is beyond me.

2016 KZ Durango 315RKD
VET/USMC
Old 07-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
Parks Traveler

Tires made in China

I just purchased a 2011 High Country 313RE with PowerKing Towmax STR tires. ST 235/80R16. How can I determine if they are made in China?
Parks Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

RdRmr - You can now also include the non Chinese-made Maxxis 8008's which are made in Thailand as having "one less ply". Mine are E-rated. Does this mean that my Maxxis tires are one ply short of a full load?

Parks Traveler - If you look on the sidewall, you might get lucky and see the country of manufacture there. Chances are your PowerKing Towmax tire is made in China. It's almost impossible to find an OE RV trailer tire that isn't made there.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
RdRmr

Talking

Festus2,

Good one about the full load. Can't say for sure if one less ply is better or not, need to know how they figure them. Anyway, here is a site that lets you know where your tires were made if you have the code molded into the sidewall of your tires. www.harriger.com/tires.htm
The code on all four of my Marathons is MDHH which according to the list are made in Alabama. Where is this code? On the sidewall just behind the letters DOT and before your manufactured date code.
Just returned from Carson City NV. a few weeks ago and the outside ambient temperature was 112º down US395 through the Mojave desert, kept a close eye on the tires but no issues. Happy Campin....

2016 KZ Durango 315RKD
VET/USMC
Old 07-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parks Traveler View Post
I just purchased a 2011 High Country 313RE with PowerKing Towmax STR tires. ST 235/80R16. How can I determine if they are made in China?
Here is an informative reference from a tire expert. Barry is known on internet forums as CapriRacer.

http://www.barrystiretech.com/dotcoding.html

And here is a list of plant codes.

http://www.harriger.com/tires.htm

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
CWtheMan

When researching tires I often use the Tire Rack reference listed below. They show the country of origin of all their tires in stock. Just click on the specs and look at the column on the far right.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....arathon+Radial

CW
Old 07-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
mamestra

The Marathons on my 2012 Montana were made in China and the tire code showed that they were made in 2012.
mamestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
Jim Dow

Power King vs Marathon Tires

The Power King tires are definitely made in China; and they are referred to as "China Bombs". When I purchased my 2011 Montana High Country I searched and searched to find trailer tires made in the US and/or Canada. There are NONE.

I purchased Marathon tires made in Taiwan as replacements for the Power Kings - Hoping against hope that the BF Goodrich name meant something in terms of quality.

So far, I have not been disappointed.
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #13
Quiroule

Well, seems they are still made in China. Herk

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:24 AM   #14
JimDogs

Holy crap! I was doing research on my, new to me, trailer and tires. I have a trip upcoming of some 1100 miles and was wondering if my Goodyear marathons were a good tire when I read of checking the date codes and I found that mine were made in June of GASP! 2007!!! It is now July 2015, so these must be the original tires on my 2007 Cougar! guess what I'm doing TODAY!!! This is why I love these forums, you can learn stuff before it becomes deadly. Thanks to everyone that contributes.
JimDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #15
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
The Maxxis 8008's that are on our 5th have 1 nylon ply rating on the tread but 2 poly and 2 steel on the tread plus 2 ply sidewall. Is this what you mean by being "short one ply"? (1 instead of 2 nylon on the tread)
I guess I missed this the first time around. The Nylon is what is referred to as an "overlay". Some tire manufactures also use a wedge and others use the overlay. It's purpose is to slow down the normal process of tread to carcass cracking (tread separation). Not all ST tires have such preventative measures. Maxxis only have them on 15" & 16" tires.

http://www.tire-recall-lawyer-source...eperation.html
Old 07-10-2015, 05:03 AM   #16
1jeep

my previous trailer came within Chinese tires back in 07, the dealer swapped them out when I bought the trailer and installed marabombs! Yes, one summer I lost 3 tires 2 on the same trip and took the side off the trailer. I then switched to maxxis, which were made in Thailand, better I don't know...I only know they last 5 years with no issues before trading for our new trailer.
Yes, the new one came with some odd brand chines' tire but what do you replace them with....seems nothing is made here and they all seem to have issues.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:49 AM   #17
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeep View Post
my previous trailer came within Chinese tires back in 07, the dealer swapped them out when I bought the trailer and installed marabombs! Yes, one summer I lost 3 tires 2 on the same trip and took the side off the trailer. I then switched to maxxis, which were made in Thailand, better I don't know...I only know they last 5 years with no issues before trading for our new trailer.
Yes, the new one came with some odd brand chines' tire but what do you replace them with....seems nothing is made here and they all seem to have issues.
With the ST235/80R16E tires I suspect Keystone has set your axles GAWRs at something around 6765# ea (look at the certification label for that info). All ST tires degrade pretty fast so in your shoes I’d never trust them (any brand) beyond two years of service..

Does your owner’s manual offer the option to go up to the LRG tires? It’s probably going to be your best option. For the steel cased option you also need rims 16x6.5 rated for 3750# at 110 psi.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #18
bridge4d

Just purchased a Goodyear Marathon today as a replacement for a stock TrailerKing that had a nail in it causing a slow leak (really slow). The Dot code is 2V...Shandong Province. Oh well.

On a side note I've probably got more than 10K mile on the TrailerKing's...which were made in Shandong as well.

2018 Montana 3731FL Legacy
2017 F350 Dually
bridge4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:23 PM   #19
mazboy123

and what is your question?

Montana owners generally get rid of their marathons and buy G rated tires, usually G614 good year.

good luck on your tires, I couldn't find what your trailers weighted....
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:32 PM   #20
bridge4d

And fast forward 1 year, this is what happened to one of my OEM Trailer King tires this past weekend while heading out of San Antonio on I-10. I looked out my rearview mirror and saw all types of stuff coming out of my wheel well and then my tire pressure monitor went off. I've got an appointment tomorrow to replace the remaining 3 Trailer King tires. After that, I'll be trying to figure out how to patch the hole in my wheel well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160724_103854.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	10944  

2018 Montana 3731FL Legacy
2017 F350 Dually
bridge4d is offline   Reply With Quote