Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
alantina1997

BEWARE! Mislabeled black/grey tanks.

Only because I read on a previous thread that you need to be cautious when you first use your drains. Apparently someone from Keystone Manufacturing enjoys putting the "Black" and "Grey" stickers on the wrong side.....Luckily I was aware this could be an issue. And yes, the stickers were flipped. I ended up switching the stickers...Hopefully they will continue to stick.
alantina1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
x96mnn

If not a dealer worth their salt will get keystone to replace them!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

I think by now, almost all of our members are aware of this ongoing issue about mislabeled tanks. It's a regular occurrence now and no one is surprised any more when new cases are reported. But thanks for the reminder and keeping the story alive.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:28 AM   #4
f6bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
But thanks for the reminder and keeping the story alive.
Bip! There goes my sarcasm meter.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:42 AM   #5
ZanMan

As a new Keystone owner and new to this forum, I had no idea there was an issue and since I have not yet used my trailer, this is important information, so, yes, it does need to be kept alive!
Thanks for posting it.
ZanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:58 AM   #6
mikell

2010 Alpine here and they were WRONG along with every other sticker in the water works
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:11 AM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

IT'S A GOOD thing the guy that puts the stickers on does not plump the fausets in the sink and showers
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
Clonefan

Any idea about models/years that are seem to be affected by the sticker mistakes? I had no idea, again, another newbie to your forum. By the way, great stuff so far!
Clonefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #9
labs4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonefan View Post
Any idea about models/years that are seem to be affected by the sticker mistakes? I had no idea, again, another newbie to your forum. By the way, great stuff so far!
Ummmmm, most all models and years.
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
The Mac's

Smile Tank label order

WOW! So just which is the correct order for the labels. Only asking because we just brought home our new 2014 Hideout 30RKDS on Friday. Had it home only for the weekend to load and organize things then took it to our storage spot. When we do take it out next week for five days over Memorial Day weekend we sure want to be sure the drains are as marked! We will be in a state campground with electric but no water and sewer at the sites. We will be using the dump station on the way out of the park.

This is our first travel trailer having had a pop-up for 20+ years and we used tents for 20 years prior to that, so things are new to us. Not the camping part just getting familiar with the trailer.

Plan on retiring in a couple years and figured with being away from home for several weeks at a time at that point a trailer would better suit our needs. Kind of why we opted for the trailer we did....seems roomy enough, nice lay out and amenities. Seemed built well enough for a first time trailer....not lowest end but not a super deluxe either.

Enjoy this forum and have gotten a lot of good tips, advice and info. Thanks folks! Now just clue me in to the real and proper order for those tank labels if you would!
(w/6.7L Power Stroke Turbo Diesel & HD Max Tow pkg.)
The Mac's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
labs4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mac's View Post
WOW! So just which is the correct order for the labels. Only asking because we just brought home our new 2014 Hideout 30RKDS on Friday. Had it home only for the weekend to load and organize things then took it to our storage spot. When we do take it out next week for five days over Memorial Day weekend we sure want to be sure the drains are as marked! We will be in a state campground with electric but no water and sewer at the sites. We will be using the dump station on the way out of the park.

This is our first travel trailer having had a pop-up for 20+ years and we used tents for 20 years prior to that, so things are new to us. Not the camping part just getting familiar with the trailer.

Plan on retiring in a couple years and figured with being away from home for several weeks at a time at that point a trailer would better suit our needs. Kind of why we opted for the trailer we did....seems roomy enough, nice lay out and amenities. Seemed built well enough for a first time trailer....not lowest end but not a super deluxe either.

Enjoy this forum and have gotten a lot of good tips, advice and info. Thanks folks! Now just clue me in to the real and proper order for those tank labels if you would!
Before you actually start "using" the black tank, you can either hook up to city water or use the fresh water pump to run some clean water into that tank. Then pull handles until you find the prize!! There may be antifreeze already in the tanks from winterization, so be aware of that as well. Will not take much to get the right answer. Then label that one as black and by definition the other one or two must be grey. Hope this helps, and congrats on the new rig!! Enjoy
Old 05-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
SAABDOCTOR

CLONEFAN There is ryme or reason just seems it is a random thing all years all models. the best thing you can do is put some water in the galley(gray and go pull handles till you get water. then repeat with the shower/bathroom sink. and the one that is left is the black (pootank) someone at keystone has a poor sence of humor.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #13
Clonefan

Thanks for the responses!

I just used ours for the first time last weekend and I figured the handles were labeled correctly. The labels lined up with the direction of each tube as well. What I mean is that the 'gray' line was on the left (as your face dump valve) and the 'black' was on the right, closest to the stool.

I will figure it out!
Clonefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
labs4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonefan View Post
Thanks for the responses!

I just used ours for the first time last weekend and I figured the handles were labeled correctly. The labels lined up with the direction of each tube as well. What I mean is that the 'gray' line was on the left (as your face dump valve) and the 'black' was on the right, closest to the stool.

I will figure it out!
If you only have 2 tanks, the larger of the 2 lines will be the black tank.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #15
Laredo60

Angry

The fatter pipe of the 2 is always the black tank. I guess the folks at keystone have people working there that cannot read. That is poor quality control if you ask me. Something that simple should not be missed just my 2cents.
Laredo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #16
The Mac's

Labels

Thanks for reply....I know the black tank has the larger line so common sense should have told me that I could figure if the labels were correct or not! Brain pause! And we actually have the three lines...galley, grey and black. Dealer had drained and flushed the lines the morning we picked up our trailer so we are clear of any fluids. Trailer manufactured April 2nd.... thought we were getting a 2013 but by the time our order hit the line they had switched production to 2014 model year. No differences from what we can see.... Thanks again!
(w/6.7L Power Stroke Turbo Diesel & HD Max Tow pkg.)
The Mac's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #17
UsTwo

Wow, I was wondering the same thing this last weekend as i was dumping...Guess i will have to put on my clear dump tube to see if my stickers were mis-labled... They are backwards from my Coachman..

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #18
wva3185

Wow! I had a 2004 Cougar and had the mislabeled drain pulls way back then.... Like others said just use clean water and see which is which. I always spray paint the black tank pull white. No mistaken the right one then.
wva3185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #19
floatflyer

My suggestion is that you put water from the sinks into the tank and then see which drain handle works. Before you use the toilet. Better that than the other way around.
floatflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:24 PM   #20
Ken / Claudia

I guess out here in the west they read better. Mine are correct. But, I have only mine to judge. Maybe I got lucky. That should be a corrected problem not ongoing. I hope you guys spoke with keystone and dealers about that. They should put new ones on in the correct locations.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote