Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
tannis00

Don't trust the manuals!

Our Keystone Copper Canyon 5th wheel had an explicit note in the manual: Do not lubricate the slide rails or gears. Doing so could void your warrantee. This sounded wrong, so we verified with our dealer. They said the manual was right.

Guess what? the slides ceased by the end of year two, and Keystone would not cover it under warrantee because we didn't lubricate the rails and gears. They held firm, even after being confronted with their own manual. Very spendy lesson.

No. I will never buy another Keystone product, and I always warn others away from them.
tannis00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
raytronx

I would give the manufacture of the slide mechanism a call and see what they say. Least you'll know the real truth.

I usually lube mine a little, but looking at the them and the nylon gear, I would think they could go a long time even with no lube as long as everything was clean.

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

With the nylon gear I would not be to quick to lube them except with dry graphite. anything sticky will attract dirt and fubar the gear train in short order.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
raytronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
With the nylon gear I would not be to quick to lube them except with dry graphite. anything sticky will attract dirt and fubar the gear train in short order.
I use a product called Protect-All dry slide lube.
http://www.protectall.com/sollong.aspx

Seems to do a good job of keeping the corrosion down and not attracting dirt.

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #5
apr67

I don't know what cost you are looking at, but since you followed their manual I think you have a case. Getting an attorney's Paralegal to write a letter isn't expensive, nor is a small claims case.
apr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
Comptech

Not lubing the slide gears and teeth seem to be wrong. Mine appear to be metal and I do lube them... other wise they would rust... Does not make sense, unless it is a special non-metal slide system?

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
Bob Landry

I've read so many stories here from people trying to get answers from Cust Serv @ Keystone, I would tend to believe the manuals before any of the CS people. At least with the manuals, you have something that was actually written and can create a paper trail. Then if you get someone who wants to tell you the manual is subjective, then you really do have a case and not end up in a "he said, she said". I have called KS on occasion for information, and the trick is to be persistent enough to make it past the receptionist that screens their calls.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Bob's advice. Any time you act on a "verbal instructional event" and later, should something go wrong, it becomes a "he said/she said" kind of no win situation. If you want clarification from Keystone or even from Lippert, it's better to go to the website customer service section, click on "contact us" and write an email. That way, when you get clarification, it's in the form of a "written response" and you'll have something to back you up if there's a problem.

Best practice is: Get it in writing. And remember: The big print giveth, the small print taketh away.....

In this world we live in, unless it's written, it essentially isn't worth the time to listen..... Sad but unfortunately, there's not much we can do to change that

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #9
Wilkod

What type of slide are we talking about?

Thanks and sorry for your aggravation.

Doug
Wilkod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

According to the Keystone Manual (2006) in the Slide Care and Maintenance section (p50), it states that "The moving parts can be washed with a mild soap and water solution. Slide-out care does not require any grease or lubrication. Use of any grease or lubrication may affect the long term dependability of the system".

The Lippert User's Manual contains identical wording and instructions.

These instructions are for the Lippert Electric Slide-Out system which uses a 12v DC motor and a rack and pinion style slide system.

I could not find anything in either the Keystone manual or the Lippert User's Guide that indicates the warranty would be void if you were to lubricate the slide out mechanism but it could be argued that by doing so, you are not following the maintenance instructions outlined in their manuals. Any damage done as a result of greasing or lubricating may well be cause for voiding a warranty.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:10 AM   #11
x96mnn

Seems like Keystone may have us between a rock and a hard place. If you do not lube the slide gears as per their manual and something goes wrong they will say you did not lube them and your issue. If you do lube them and something goes wrong they can say you did not follow the manual.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote