Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
mamestra

Dexter EZ lube Axel Seals

We are just back from a 10,000-mile journey and decided to play it safe and have the EZ lube bearings repacked at Camping World in Burlington. Dropped the trailer off and returned home to Vancouver Island, BC, our trailer is a 2012 3750FL and the one-year warrantee expired in early April. When Camping World went to repack the bearing they found that the seals had failed and grease had leaked into the brakes making them useless. They told me the bill would be close to $1000.00. I asked them to contact Keystone as I said I doubt that the seals just failed in the last 3 weeks. I too contacted Keystone explaining what happened the end result was Keystone denied the claim. I didn’t have accesses to my warrantee documents as we keep those in the 5th wheel, but I seemed to remember that Dexter’s warrantee was greater than 1 year. I phoned Dexter and yes it is a two-year warrantee so hopefully it will be covered. I was some what taken back that Keystone didn’t suggest that I check with Dexter, I realize that it is not their responsibility but just as a matter of PR I thought that they might mention it.
mamestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
MIKEPATC

Yup ... not a fan of EZ Lube. Just too easy to over grease.
MIKEPATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEPATC View Post
Yup ... not a fan of EZ Lube. Just too easy to over grease.
Are you sure that the OP even used the EZ Lube system to "over grease" his hubs? From the way his post was written, it's not clear if he ever greased his bearings or if he simply took it in for service after his trip. The EZ Lube system is a functional way to make sure grease is in the bearings, but even with that system in place, the manufacturer recommends taking the hub down and inspecting the bearings annually.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:25 AM   #4
jsmith948

X-2. Never used the E-Z Lube fittings on our 5er. When I repacked the wheel bearings, found that grease had 'extruded' past the seals on two wheels. Don't know if the dealer/factory used the fittings - but I won't - FWIW - JMHO

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:22 AM   #5
Jim W

I have used the E-Z lube Dexter axle since new greasing the axles in the middle of the camping season. I use a small handle held grease gun and only put in three to four squirts of grease. I never use an air grease gun nor the large capacity grease gun on the E_Z Lube axles. I never have over greased the axles nor have I ever failed the grease seals in the three years of owning the camper. I check every year when I repack the bearings and always put in new seals they only cost $12 or so. Never had any grease of the shoes or the backing plate.

So I am a fan of the E-Z Lube axles as long as you lube the bearings correctly, you do not need to empty the grease gun on the one wheel when you lube.

Just my $0.02

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
billb800si

Like I repack my bearings on my truck every year. yea right....
Bearings on my Jayco have lasted 7 years now. Like a prior poster said I lube them each year with a hand held and 2 or 3 squirts does it...
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
Sparky

Unhappy

Hope I'm not over packing. According to my Dexter manual it states to grease until fresh grease is pushed out. Also not to use a pneumatic grease gun, which I don't.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:39 AM   #8
rode2nowhere

I have had my sprinter for about 2 years now and have never greased or checked them. I mostly travel local but I guess I really need to pull them off and grease em up and check them.
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #9
LittleJoe

IMO easy lube works great, if done correctly. Do not do when temp is cold, ie: grease is thick(70deg day works fine). Lift weight off of the axle end being greased so that wheel can turn freely.While spinning wheel, grease by hand slowly until you see grease start to move . 4 or 5 shots is usually enough.

We have several 16x7 ERS mobile mechanical trailers on the road EVERY day. A couple have very near 200K miles (on 3500lb axles)and run close to 7000lb gross. The bearings have never been changed and are not hand packed.
Unless upon annual brake inspection, there is a reason to suspect bearing failure, repacking bearings annually with very low mileage is a make work project. Now if the axles are submerged ie: boat trailers, then the work is really necessary.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
billb800si

Does anyone wonder if Camping World really did a honest job of checking the brakes? I've read many horror stories about Camping World service these past many years. Wouldn't take much to smear some grease on the brakes now would it?
Just saying not accusing........
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:07 AM   #11
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Two problems that I see.

First, "too many cooks". The bearings are likely greased the proper amount by Dexter. Then someone at the Keystone probably gives it 3-4 squirts. When it arrives at the dealer, another 3-4 squirts. Before it leaves the dealer, another 3-4 squirts. Then the customer gives it, well you guessed it. All this is done without anyone bothering to remove the dust cap, so there's now a baseball-sized glob of grease in there, which eventually oozes past the seal.

Second, Camping World is notorious for upselling service wherever possible. "A little grease past the seal? The whole brake system needs to be replaced!"

I hand pack my EZ lube bearings myself, using synthetic grease, every three years.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #12
rjsurfer

Over 5 years of ownership 3 out of the four drum brake linings became grease and oil soaked, some due to improper maintenance on my part and others due to losing a valve cover gasket soaking the entire underbelly and wheels with oil.

Tried cleaning the linings multiple times to no avail. a waste of time.

I felt the easiest and best solution was to swap out the brake assemblies with new heavier duty assemblies from Etrailer......Best thing I ever did, the trailer brakes stop with quiet authority now.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
raytronx

IMHO, If not doing the job myself I would be inclined to take the RV to a place that does all types of trailers rather than an RV Dealer. Likely a cheaper and better job.

Ray

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote