Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
RJ&S

Smile Satellite Options?

We just returned from a quick weekend trip to check out everything in our new trailer We were able to get a decent signal for the networks on the rooftop antenna, except we would lose the signal when we used some of our appliances. What would be causing that??? I used my ipad to stream some television through a HDMI adapter, but it isn't ideal because of the bandwidth issue. We have DirectTv at home and have an extra receiver. What as far as a dish to I need to buy and where? Do we have to pay an extra fee to DirecTv? What are our best and most affordable options?

Ray & Jackie
2012 Keystone Springdale 5th Wheel
2008 Chevrolet 2500 HD Duramax
Our mods
RJ&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
warsw

I have Dish Network rather than Direct TV so I'm not sure if they work exactly the same but what I have with Dish is a remote HD box that cost me an extra $7.00 a month to get the same programming as my home TV. I had to buy the remote box and a portable HD dish and stand, which cost $160.00.

Ones I got the hang of it it takes me about 15 minutes to get it set-up and be watching TV.

There are better dish set-ups that are powered and search, find and lock onto the satellite automatically but I don't use it enough yet to warrant the extra cost. Hopefully sometime in the near future I will.

I would think that Direct TV would have something similar. Give them a call. They can give you all their options.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:52 AM   #3
joestaz

Once you have a directv satellite dish you only need to hook one of your home receivers to it. I bought a weingard auto unit and had it installed on my roof. Pricey but worth it to me. Alot are buying the portable one so if there are trees or some obstruction on you site you can move it around.
Retired
joestaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
Jim Dow

Dish TailGater

I installed the Dish TailGater and it works fine; but it is a single user receiver. I had to rewire the antenna amp coax circuitry to make it work; but it does work. Look for my earlier post.
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
35mastr

I have a Winegard Carry Out and I put a ladder mount for it on my ladder. We just take a DVR from the house and use it. I have Dish Network. Works great. No extra charges. Will work with Direct TV also.
[B]Honda 3000IS
35mastr is offline   Reply With Quote