Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
gtinet

Inner seals on slides

I have another post regarding problems with my new purchase ("First and LAST Keystone"), and I would like to ask anyone willing to respond a question about slide seals.

Each camper I have had in the past has had rubber seals on the outside of the slide as well as on the inside. The new one I have (that leaks) does not have inner seals. When the front living room slides are fully extended there is nothing to keep water out other than the wipers.

Does anyone else have slides like this? No inner seals? No outer seals? Both?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 04-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
f6bits

Mine has two sets of seals. The "wipers" set for when the slide is open, and an outside "tube" set for when the slide is closed. I've never had any water leak issues in the few storms we've camped in.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
gtinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
Mine has two sets of seals. The "wipers" set for when the slide is open, and an outside "tube" set for when the slide is closed. I've never had any water leak issues in the few storms we've camped in.
Thanks for the response. My previous two campers had two sets of tubes, one outside and one inside plus the wipers. This one has the tube set on the outside for when the slide is closed and the wipers for when its open, just as you described for yours.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
f6bits

It does make me curious if I'm just not finding the second set. The slide definitely seats itself when fully extended, so maybe there's a lip I'm not seeing. Then there's the outside chance that there are two sets of flaps. I really need to poke around some more.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 04-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
cabinfever

Just looked at mine. The wiper for when the slides are out also have a "tube" seal strip running along side.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

My slide has the wipers that fold in and out and squeegee the water off the slide as it moves plus a tube seal on the outside flange that seals against the outside wall when the slide is closed. There is an identical tube seal on the inside flange of the slide that seals against the inside wall of the RV when the slide is open. There is a "double seal" in that the wiper AND one of the tube seals work together whether the slide is open or closed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
gmtech1

gtinet i know how you feel my slide must have leaked all winter its in indiana right now at the factory because its full of mold.I won't by another keystone the quality is poor with a big price tags.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #8
gtinet

Thanks for the feedback guys. gmtech1... I've seen your thread and feel your pain. I think mine will be stall-mates with yours at the factory in Indiana. It will be there next week, if I agree to let it go back.

What JRTJH and cabinfever are describing is what I'm used to from my previous campers (different brand). A tube seal on the outside for when the slide is closed and one on the inside for when its open. The wipers are just there to "wipe" the slide clean when its closing or opening.

I definitely do not see any inside seals but I will look again.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
f6bits

I checked my seals. I have two wipers (inner and outer) and one outer tube seal. When the slide is fully extended, it seats against the base of the inside wiper.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 04-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #10
gtinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
I checked my seals. I have two wipers (inner and outer) and one outer tube seal. When the slide is fully extended, it seats against the base of the inside wiper.

Hi f6bits. Thanks for the great picture. This slide appears identical to two of mine. The two that leak. If you look closer I think you will discover that when extended to the open/out position the slide does not sit against the base of the wiper. It stops short because of the bracket that holds the steel cable to the slide. There is no VISIBLE positive inner seal on this type of slide. I can see daylight leaking through your wiper just like I can on mine. If light can make it through water can too. I know you mentioned not having any leaks while camping and I truly hope you don't have any in the future either. Apparently yours is just different enough from mine that it keeps the water out somehow.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
justlkn

I checked mine and I have the wipers and both inner and outer seals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inner slide pic.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	2880  

2016 3500HD Silverado Duramax LTZ
2012 Keystone Avalanche 341TG (Sold)
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:07 AM   #12
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlkn View Post
I checked mine and I have the wipers and both inner and outer seals.
Your hydraulic slide has a different sealing design than their electric, cable actuated slide.

Going by memory for my setup, yours has 2 sweepers (one inside/one outside).... 2 bulb-type inside (one on exterior wall / one on slide wall) for when slide is out... and 1 bulb type inside (along the outer slide wall) for when the slide is retracted....
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:06 AM   #13
justlkn

Well. That explains why I saw a pulley system on his pic..lol.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

2016 3500HD Silverado Duramax LTZ
2012 Keystone Avalanche 341TG (Sold)
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #14
f6bits

You can see daylight because my slide is partially extended. I was working on the trailer at the time while it was in storage.

2011 Passport 2590BH