Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2022, 08:45 PM   #41
gordo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Your #3 observation is off base. Observations made about poor choices or recommendations has nothing to do with perceived "status/ranking" in the forum. Recommendations based on "I do it and it's OK" endanger folks. I have the same 2" hitch on my trailer. I'm not about to throw a 100lb. generator on the back on a 3x5' shelf hitched into that receiver. Have you looked under your trailer? Do you have any idea of the forces at play when that 100lbs. bouncing is multiplied to 500lbs? Tight hitch? If it's that tight you aren't getting the shank into it...it will wiggle. btdt and do as you wish.
And AGAIN, I never said "I do it so it is ok" You did.

I suggested that the original poster do his research, and not take information on this site as gospel.

Do I have any idea about the forces on my hitch? Do you have any idea as to how I am set up?

My observation #3 is off base? Really? That was not an observation. It was more of a preemptive strike based on prior discussions I have been involved in where my thoughts and or opinions did no follow the beliefs of a few.

I said "I was not looking to be chastised by folks that feel they have
the only opinion that counts, based on their status/ranking in the forum.

You sir are on the site team, and have chastised me again for trying to help a member, because it is not what you would do.

Since I do not wish to get banned, I will end my involvement in this thread.

gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 09:03 PM   #42
rlh1957

I believe the reluctance in not carrying generator inside rig is the same as any gasoline powered appliance. Or carrying a storage can of gasoline or transporting your spare LP tank inside your camper.
It is your choice and I’m not sure there any regulations/laws against it.
It’s just not practicing good preventive safety.
We already ride around on tubes of air that have met gov’t specs!
People do it for sure but me personally, I’ve not heard any doomsday RV accounts.
I’ll just stay cautious scared and not do it.
I don’t ride around with gas can or LP tank inside my vehicle just the same.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 09:07 PM   #43
Ksz426

Hey everyone.

Wow, this post really took off. Lol!

We do appreciate ALL of the comments and replies. In the end, we decided to go with a dual fuel generator that we will carry in the trailer. We will run it off one of the 30lb propane tanks on the trailer.

Thank you again for your experiences.

Ken & Brenda
Ksz426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 09:19 PM   #44
rlh1957

Yes looked I at it, and it’s not my opinion, but had an engineer at the machine shop in Jonesboro look at it and had a welder there look at it. They build trailers and towing rigs.
They both agreed that the Keystone factory 300# hitch was up to the job as well as welded and bolted good. They saw my setup and said it wouldn’t present a problem.
Said probably if it wasn’t for legal dept being so proactive they they would have rated it at 500#. But it was a load carrying hitch and not intended for towing.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 02:48 AM   #45
The Islander

Islander

I have a Westinghouse 4500 gen1 inverter that I carry on the back of my 29RKS. I’ve been all over the East coast and had no problem at all. It is 100 pounds and once securely strapped down rides good, I do check it each time I stop just make sure. The nice thing about the Westinghouse 4500 Gen 1 is it has a remote start so I don’t have to go outside to start or stop it. As always when traveling use extreme caution when attaching anything to your RV. Enjoy
The Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 04:57 AM   #46
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post

I suggested that the original poster do his research, and not take information on this site as gospel.

Do I have any idea about the forces on my hitch? Do you have any idea as to how I am set up?

My observation #3 is off base? Really? That was not an observation. It was more of a preemptive strike based on prior discussions I have been involved in where my thoughts and or opinions did no follow the beliefs of a few.

You sir are on the site team, and have chastised me again for trying to help a member, because it is not what you would do.

For clarity;

Because one is on the site team does not mean they cannot express an opinion as a member, they are two exclusive things. If you are carrying a 145lb. gen set hanging on the back of your trailer and it doesn't wiggle that's great. It's not what happens to the vast majority (virtually all) of the ones I've seen. Obviously you have your opinion and I have mine so they both count - and they count equally.

The OP asked about carrying a generator on the back of his trailer on a 500lb. Curt carrier....nothing else initially. He did come back and say there was 2" receiver. That makes it much better than a bumper but it still doesn't mean the generator isn't going to hop all over the place - because they do. If you have a secret to carrying that generator on the back of yours so solidly you could/should have shared it with the OP so he and others would know. If it's just slid into the receiver it will wiggle. I use a hitch clamp, maybe you do too but I don't carry a rack or generator and I don't use it on the trailer receiver.

If you are going to encourage someone to so something like carry a gen set on a rack behind a trailer when the majority of folks think its a bad idea, say why and how it works for you so a person doesn't just think it's OK because you do it. That is my opinion and has nothing to do with site team functions.

All that said the OP has advised he has determined a course of action so this part of the conversation isn't needed any longer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 05:00 AM   #47
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksz426 View Post
Hey everyone.

Wow, this post really took off. Lol!

We do appreciate ALL of the comments and replies. In the end, we decided to go with a dual fuel generator that we will carry in the trailer. We will run it off one of the 30lb propane tanks on the trailer.

Thank you again for your experiences.

Ken & Brenda

I'm glad you came to a solution. I hope it works well for you and sorry the thread "took off" a bit....they sometimes do.
Old 07-15-2022, 05:05 AM   #48
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Yes looked I at it, and it’s not my opinion, but had an engineer at the machine shop in Jonesboro look at it and had a welder there look at it. They build trailers and towing rigs.
They both agreed that the Keystone factory 300# hitch was up to the job as well as welded and bolted good. They saw my setup and said it wouldn’t present a problem.
Said probably if it wasn’t for legal dept being so proactive they they would have rated it at 500#. But it was a load carrying hitch and not intended for towing.

Thanks for sharing. That's a good assessment and good info for folks to know. I've looked at mine but never had anyone else look at it because I wasn't interested in putting anything back there...well, I do hang my mud flaps on it during my winter stay but that doesn't really count. It doesn't look nearly as robust as some of the ones I've had installed but they weren't what I would call "accessory" receivers either.
Old 07-15-2022, 05:24 AM   #49
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post

What type of mount do you use for carrying your generator?
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 05:41 AM   #50
DDuncan51

Costco - Firman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksz426 View Post
Okay, change of plans. Lol.

Dear wife says new truck out of the question. Just too expensive right now. And, she’s completely against the gas generator.

Sooooo, we canceled the order for the gas only and are now looking at a dual fuel version (Champion 200988). A little less running watts, 3150 vs 3500, but should still be more than enough to run the ac (15k) when needed. And, we can carry it inside the trailer.

Thanks again for all of the comments and advise. You all are great.

Ken & Brenda

------------------------------------------------------------
I've been camping and RV'ing all my life. I've ran the heavier generators, but finally settled on lighter ones.

I run 2 Honda 2000 generators, specifically because I can move them without much trouble and they're relatively quiet. I carry them in the back of my pickup.

My daughter & family showed up at a reunion. my son-in-law pulled a brand new generator out of the back of his suburban. A Firman 3200W they just bought from Costco. I was impressed. You may want to take a look on their website;
https://www.costco.com/firman-3200w-...100843922.html
DDuncan51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 07:19 AM   #51
flybouy
Site Team

Not beat this further but want to make 2 points.

First, physics is absolute and not anecdotal. Yes having the tray secure in the reciever is better HOWEVER it does not eliminate or the G force. Have you ever been in an elevator that stopped suddenly? You feel that G force because it didn't slow down before stopping. Jump off a curb and don't bend your knees and you will feel the same effect.

Second, obviously a lot of folks write differently and interpret what they read differently. Often a post may be written that can be misinterpreted and become misleading, not purposely but with the same net effect. The site team reads every single post on this forum. So while the "post count" indicates the number of posts it doesn't reflect but a tiny fraction of the number of posts that the site team has read. This experience does expose one to the types of posts that can be misinterpreted. We try to clarify by offering our experience as well as our observations from past posts on similar subjects.

No one should take this as chastising or some kind of personal attack. Saying everyone else is wrong and my opinion is right then playing the victim while you do what you claim you were victimized for is hypocritical IMO. In this particular thread some assumptions were made. Most trailers do not have intregal frame mounted hitch recievers from the factory. The vast majority of cargo trays are mounted to the flimsy 4" square tubing they call a bumper. You can strap to your hearts delight but the bumper itself will become a torsion bar and twist and flex. The driver rarely sees what's going on back there but the observat drivers behind them do.

My point in all of this is that we all have differing experiences and opinions. We need to recognize this and respect that. If someone says 2+2=5 then yes they will be be challenged but if they are expressing their experiences and opinions than they should be respected and an adult conversation can and should be pursued.

To quote Forrest Gump, "...and that's all I got to say about that".
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator