Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2022, 12:37 PM   #1
RFM

exterior screen room

Hi all,
I am looking to buy a exterior screen room to attach to my passenger side awning

I have a 26’ Bullet Premier 2014

any suggestions?
RFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 01:21 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Electric or manual awning? The "add a room" units are very heavy. If you want a screen room only it may be too heavy for an electric awning so. I would check with the mfg of your awning.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 01:59 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Get a free standing screen room and learn to live with the slightly smaller space...

Electric awnings are not durable enough to withstand the wind without damage. Add a screen room (that must be removed to roll up the awning and you will, after a couple of "nightmare quick wind gusts" have a pile of nylon screening that never gets unfolded any more....

They "look good on paper" and "feel good the first couple of times you use them" but as soon as you have to fight one to get it off the awning so it's not ripped off the side of your trailer (literally, not figuratively) you'll not get caught with it on the side of your trailer, ever again.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 02:05 PM   #4
Carrottop

This has come up before and the recommendation I had and still do is this unit. It is durable easy to setup as in 3-5 min tops and lasts. We had ours for 3 seasons before selling it as we moved to a permanent site. It is probably half the cost of the add a room screen rooms.

CLAM Quick-Set Escape 11.5 x 11.5 Ft Portable Outdoor Camping Shelter, Brown
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 02:19 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Personally I would never attach anything to an awning. Storms, heavy rain, wind gusts etc. play havoc with an awning and I've had to pull them in on very short notice numerous times. That won't happen with a screen room attached to it. I've even got the sun screens that attach to the front side and ends but they lasted for one use for about 3 days until I had to bring the awning in for a sudden storm; it took forever to get the crap off/down and I was drenched. Those sun screens? In the bags on a shelf in the barn where they've been since that one trip - and they weren't cheap.

Carrottop has a great suggestion; the CLAM enclosures. They make 3 sizes I believe. I have 2 of them. Very quick, very easy, don't collapse or fly away in the wind; I've even got the rain screens for them BUT I can actually use them!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 02:55 PM   #6
dutchmensport

Because of all the problems stated by the other posters on this thread are the reasons why we never got a screen room that attaches to the awning.

On our Montana High Country, the actual awning roller is so high, it's impossible to work with a screen room, or just a simple screen to attach it without a ladder. Also, our electric awning is so fickle in the wind, it would be completely impractical to attach and quickly remove a screen room.

Actually we get little use out of the awning itself because of wind.

We improvise everything though, and have outfitted our camper for just about any situation. So, we carry with us 2 quick shades and 1 picnic table screened room. We use the quick shades all the time, and the screened room only when mosquitos are too aggressive.

Photo of our previous camper.

Plus, the quick shades can be tipped to provide the most shade over the largest area. So often the sun is shining at a difficult angle and the trailer awning casts no shadow at all. With quick shades, we can move them around as the sun moves, which seems to be about ever 2 hours, and have really good shade through the entire day.

We even went so far as to pick up one of these picnic table canopies. This thing is absolutely wonderful. We love it! It attaches to the picnic table, can use used on tables up to 8 feet long, and can be moved around with the picnic table to maximize the greatest of shade.

Folds down in the wind or rain so don't have to remove it:

All 3 used together: camper awning, picnic table shade, quick shade. Lots of variations and lots of arrangements can be done this way to have constant shade:

Old 02-24-2022, 03:37 PM   #7
RFM

thanks guys, good arguments/ I will not waist my money ��
RFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 04:20 PM   #8
jasin1

[QUOTE=dutchmensport;488248]Because of all the problems stated by the other posters on this thread are the reasons why we never got a screen room that attaches to the awning.

On our Montana High Country, the actual awning roller is so high, it's impossible to work with a screen room, or just a simple screen to attach it without a ladder. Also, our electric awning is so fickle in the wind, it would be completely impractical to attach and quickly remove a screen room.

We improvise everything though, and have outfitted our camper for just about any situation. So, we carry with us 2 quick shades and 1 picnic table screened room. We use the quick shades all the time, and the screened room only when mosquitos are too aggressive.

Plus, the quick shades can be tipped to provide the most shade over the largest area. So often the sun is shining at a difficult angle and the trailer awning casts no shadow at all. With quick shades, we can move them around as the sun moves, which seems to be about ever 2 hours, and have really good shade through the entire day.

We even went so far as to pick up one of these picnic table canopies. This thing is absolutely wonderful. We love it! It attaches to the picnic table, can use used on tables up to 8 feet long, and can be moved around with the picnic table to maximize the greatest of

——————————————————————-—————————————++

When you leave the campsite do you leave the quick shades set up?

I was in Delaware seashore park and a family from the other side of the world set up a tent and a couple of quick shades and tarps in a rv site right next to me…the sites were really tight ..they were nice people but left the tent city up when they left for the day.
it was super windy and I was waiting for one of the shades to fly into my truck or camper…luckily they came back and took care of it

Please tie your quick shades to a picnic table so if it blows over it just spins around your own campsite people lol….
Old 02-25-2022, 05:28 AM   #9
dutchmensport

If we are at the campsite, or just walking around the campground we leave the quick shades and picnic table cover up.

However, if we leave, we always pull the awnings in (we have 2 of them) and we take the cover off the quick shades and leave the frame standing. We never leave the cover on them if we are not right there.

Several years ago we had an awning flip over our pop-up camper and the legs punched a hole all the way through the roof of the camper. Insurance paid to completely replace the roof of the pop-up at the tune of $4000. We only paid $6000 for the entire pop-up brand new. We learned then, you can't leave awning out if you are not right there .... ever!

Another time the wind caught the awning on our travel trailer (electric awning) and popped it so fast, it ripped the awning, and we were RIGHT there.

Like you, we have seen many, many quick shades get blown around in the wind and completely destroyed over the years. Not only will the quick shades get 100% damaged and unusable, but blowing around they can easily damage other property, other campers, even punching holes in the sides of camper.

It's not safe to leave them set up if you are not right there with them.

We always take the covers off and retract the awnings at night when we go inside too. Far to many times we've had rain in the night. Even though those quick shades are fantastic in the sun for making shade, they are NOT designed to withstand rain. Rain pools in them. Then the fabric stretches, or worse yet, pool with so much water the legs collapse.

After a few times of setting them up and taking them down you realize it takes only a few moments to pull the covers off, wad them up into a ball and shove them in one of the outside storage compartments. We leave the frames up outside so in the morning all we have to do is toss the cover back on and we're ready to go. In all the years we've been using quick shades, we've never had the set-up frame blow around in even the strongest wind.

Maybe we are a bit anal, but we also fold up all our chairs and put under cover all out outside lawn furniture at night also. Why? for the same reason. If a wind kicks up we don't want them blown away. If it rains or if there is dew in the morning, we don't want them wet first thing in the morning when we get up.

Another reason we put EVERYTHING up at night is because we had some "choice" items get stolen over the years. Putting things up at night is about the only way to remotely guarantee you'll have everything in the morning. And yes, these were reputable campgrounds where you'd never expect anything like that. We had a folding $100 recliner anti-gravity camping chair stolen, we've had electric cords stolen, we've had a 2 foot step ladder stolen, we've had yard ornaments stolen. When we take bicycles, they are locked to the ladder attached to the trailer at night.

In fact, when we go inside at night, everything is put away. I know that sounds like a lot of work, but we don't put that much out at all to start with.

The only exception is the picnic table cover. I leave it attached to the frame and drop it in the lower position. Rain runs off with it straight up and down, and it's very strong against wind in that position as it's anchored to the picnic table. But if we know weather is going to get real windy, I'll remove that cover too. But at night, that's the only one I'll leave on, but in the down position.
Old 02-25-2022, 06:10 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

[QUOTE=jasin1;488259]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Because of all the problems stated by the other posters on this thread are the reasons why we never got a screen room that attaches to the awning.

We even went so far as to pick up one of these picnic table canopies. This thing is absolutely wonderful. We love it! It attaches to the picnic table, can use used on tables up to 8 feet long, and can be moved around with the picnic table to maximize the greatest of

——————————————————————-—————————————++

I was in Delaware seashore park and a family from the other side of the world set up a tent and a couple of quick shades and tarps in a rv site right next to me…the sites were really tight ..they were nice people but left the tent city up when they left for the day.
it was super windy and I was waiting for one of the shades to fly into my truck or camper…luckily they came back and took care of it

Please tie your quick shades to a picnic table so if it blows over it just spins around your own campsite people lol….
Is that "campground" (in quotes because it's more of a parking lot" ever not windy? when we were there some newbs were acrocc the strret from us. Could tell they were newbies ... new F150, new 25' camper, all new gear (and a LOT of it) scattered all over the place. It was so windy our trailer was literally shaking and I had to park one wheel of the truck on the patio mat to keep it from blowing away.

So after dark I go outside to check on things and look over at the newbi couple. They were setting in the wind ( I'd say 30 knots steady gusting to 45 or 50) wrapped in blankets with a propane fire pit between them. I though about yelling over to them when very strong gust toppled their tall, flimsy grill over with a crash. They jumped out of thier "bag chairs" and they dissapeared into the night followed by the blankets the shed when the stood up. I thought I was watshing a remake of "Twister". Thankfully something conviced the guy to shut off the firepit. The stupid thing looked like a blow torch out there.

They immediatly started loading display of Camping World goods into their truck. They were gone in the morning when I woke up so I guess they evacuated. The impressive thing about it all were the Boy Scouts across the street. We were in a end site and the feild between us and the Ocean were was full of tents. The scouts were prepared. There wasn't as much as a candy wrapper blow away from those scouts. I guess the folks in the new rig didn't have any leader to teach them common sense.
Old 02-25-2022, 06:24 AM   #11
jasin1

I love that place but yes it does stay windy lol
Old 02-25-2022, 06:40 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I love that place but yes it does stay windy lol
First time I looked down at that cg from the bridge I thought it was an old drive in theater that the screen was had been demo'd. The straight lines of power poles looked like drive-in speakers. I've driven over that bridge many times and can't remember it never not being windy.
Old 02-25-2022, 06:43 AM   #13
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
First time I looked down at that cg from the bridge I thought it was an old drive in theater that the screen was had been demo'd. The straight lines of power poles looked like drive-in speakers. I've driven over that bridge many times and can't remember it never not being windy.
I like being able to walk to the beach…nothing worse then driving with sandy clothes and sitting on towels..that’s why we like that place so much
Old 02-25-2022, 07:05 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I like being able to walk to the beach…nothing worse then driving with sandy clothes and sitting on towels..that’s why we like that place so much
Yup, I get it, it's a destination. A lot like the cg at Knobel's Amusment park in PA. You go there for the convenience not the actual cg. We stayed there because my niece and her family that live in Easton, MD were staying there. We stayed there to spend time with them and to visit my DW's cousin who lives in Ocean View about 15 miles south.

Tags
screen