Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
jipsi59

Checking in from Williamsport, PA

Currently driving ourself crazy doing are homework looking to upgrade to a TT.
Will also be going to Hershey. Seem to keep coming back to the Keystone brand, particularly the Outback. We also like the open range Light 5th wheel. Works with my short bed chevy without the mega bucks special hitch. I've been going through the forum posts to try to pick up as much information as I can. Look forward to bouncing some questions of the membership.
jipsi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
volvosweetie

to the forum. There are Outback owners on here so I am sure they will chime in. Just ask away, I am sure there will be members who are willing to answer your questions. Good luck, happy camping and safe travels.

Ab & Pam
2006 Thor Grand Junction
2000 Ford F-450 dually Crew Cab
7.3 Diesel
volvosweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
Outbackmel

Welcome

I JUST spent a week at Pirateland in Myrtle Beach. While there, I had conversation with an "Open Range" new owner. I initiated this conversation as we have had several "lookers" at both Keystone and Open Range. My viewpoint:

* regardless of brand, expect minor build issues.
* buy what you like and enjoy the heck out of your unit.
* get what fits your budget. Camping is NO FUN is you have to worry about every cost or can't travel because campgrounds where you like to be are too expensive.
* save room in your budget for "other" vacations, non camping related.

Being retired, wife and I travel on our time line. We REALLY enjoyed last winter in AZ in our RV. Next RV trip will be south to FL. We often leave our fifth wheel on it's beautiful site in the N GA mountains and travel by car and stay in B&B's.
Point is, variety is spice of life.

I have a short bed Dodge 2500 and the inexpensive "Curt" hitch with manual slide option is SUPER for our use. (Never used the slider. No need)

We have had few issues with our 36ft; 2011, triple slide 5er and we have no pressure to "need to use it" unless we choose. Remember to budget for costs relative to owning and maintaining any RV you choose. Insurance; storage; repairs, accessories and more accessories; fun camp grounds with higher rates, etc. It's all a choice. Make it FUN....good luck in your decision and perhaps we will see you on this forum in the future.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
TAZ23

Welcome to the forum
We bought our new 2012 Outback in March and are extremely happy with it.
The only issue that we have had so far is one little strip of moulding came loose and I just retacked it.
the only mod that I have done so far is to replace the analog thermostat with a digital one that is much more accurate and reliable.
If you have any specific questions about the Outbacks,post them and I am sure you can get some answers.
Take your time,look them over,make your decision and then happy camping
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote