Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2021, 09:29 AM   #1
breeves2245

Think I settled on the Passport SL 229RK

Had RVTrader searches set on used trailers for the 3 Keystones - Outback 221UMD, Cougar MLS and Passport SL 229RK. A Grand Design Imagine XLS 22MLE and the KZ Sportmen C211MKSE. All very similar floorplan.

Not getting any alerts for the used Outback, Cougar or KZ, only the Imagine and Passport.

Used Imagine prices are very close to a new Passport. So I'm trying to narrow my search to just the Passport and charge ahead with that goal.

I read the recent thread comparing the Passport, Cougar and Outback. Very helpful.

Question for the Passport. Website says hitch capacity is 575lbs. Since it does not have a bumper, does one have to get a hitch installed at the dealer or is this a possible DIY deal?

Can't get a read on where the sewer hose is stored. Do most fashion their own storage tube?

Thanks for any feedback.
breeves2245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:50 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

First, welcome to the forum!

The number you quoted for the hitch is the hitch (tongue) dry weight (which will not be accurate in the real world) NOT the capacity of a "hitch". I did not see a hitch (receiver) on that unit.

I also did not see where, or if, they provided storage for a sewer hose. Many folks fashion their own and place under the trailer or store them inside a tote or enclosure of some kind.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:36 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

Looks like a pretty decent floor plan... if the bedroom has actual doors that close. Usually that allows a couple to have one sleep in and one drink coffee and such in the main cabin. The camper has no rear bumper so store your sewer hose in a garbage bag in the pass through storage. Also, the camper gross weight is 7200 lbs. and the hitch weight will be about 900 lbs. The 572 lbs is a hitch weight with a stripped camper and you will never see this weight so the truck you need will have to have 900 lbs plus 300 lbs (hitch) plus passenger weight and stuff in the truck so your truck had best have about 1700 lbs payload as a guestimate. You can see your truck's actual payload in the yellow/white placard in the driver door frame. The listed hitch weight is minus batteries, propane tanks and is as the trailer rolls off the assembly line prior to shipping. To guess at what the pin weight actually is without weighing at a truck scale use 13 percent of the gross weight of that camper (7200 lbs X .13) and don't forget to add that heavy hitch (200-300 lbs) and passenger/cargo weight. Good luck.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:09 PM   #4
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeves2245 View Post
Had RVTrader searches set on used trailers for the 3 Keystones - Outback 221UMD, Cougar MLS and Passport SL 229RK. A Grand Design Imagine XLS 22MLE and the KZ Sportmen C211MKSE. All very similar floorplan.

Not getting any alerts for the used Outback, Cougar or KZ, only the Imagine and Passport.

Used Imagine prices are very close to a new Passport. So I'm trying to narrow my search to just the Passport and charge ahead with that goal.

I read the recent thread comparing the Passport, Cougar and Outback. Very helpful.

Question for the Passport. Website says hitch capacity is 575lbs. Since it does not have a bumper, does one have to get a hitch installed at the dealer or is this a possible DIY deal?

Can't get a read on where the sewer hose is stored. Do most fashion their own storage tube?

Thanks for any feedback.
DW and I have the prototype of the SL229RK which is a one-of-a-kind 2021 SL221ML. The dry weight on trailer sticker is 5,400 pounds. The only changes Keystone made was eliminating the pull-out pantry (too heavy for the latches) for two-door pantry shelves and slight mods in the bathroom. The bedroom has sliding doors with a magnetic catch. We absolutely love this trailer and floor plan. It has the sleeper sofa option for the grandkiddies but also just ideal for the two of us. Pulls nicely with a Sierra 1500 (1,750 lb cargo rating on door sticker) with upgrade to LT tires and the Huskey Centerline WDH hitch.
feel free to ask any questions about the trailer, floorplan, etc.
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:14 PM   #5
breeves2245

Thanks for the clarification on the hitch. I was confusing it with rear hitch capacity. Without going back through the detail, most of the models mentioned in my post don't have a rear hitch or state a hitch of any weight is not recommended. The Cougar being one exception, the website says the accessory hitch is rated for 300 lbs. Looking for a way to carry my two e-bikes without using the truck bed or jamming them in the camper.

New truck just arrived, a 2022 Ram 2500. So towing/payload no issue. Payload is 3,100 lbs and towing right at 17,000 lbs.

Thanks again.
Old 12-07-2021, 12:27 PM   #6
Gkri

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification on the hitch. I was confusing it with rear hitch capacity. Without going back through the detail, most of the models mentioned in my post don't have a rear hitch or state a hitch of any weight is not recommended. The Cougar being one exception, the website says the accessory hitch is rated for 300 lbs. Looking for a way to carry my two e-bikes without using the truck bed or jamming them in the camper.

New truck just arrived, a 2022 Ram 2500. So towing/payload no issue. Payload is 3,100 lbs and towing right at 17,000 lbs.

Thanks again.
forgot to answer two of your questions. 1) no rear bumper hitch and better to ask dealer/Keystone before adding one, the 229RK might not be rated for adding a rear hitch. 2) there is a sewer hose storage tube in the rear, i can never get the cover off so use a rubbermaid type container to haul it plus all of the various adapters.
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 01:16 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Thanks again.

Excellent choice in trucks! My ram 2500 was 3190 (3090?) payload so very close. It will handle any of the RVs you mentioned with no problems (6.4L?).

IF money were no object I would opt for the Cougar out of all of them. The Imagine is a entry level GD with a hefty premium for the GD name; not worth it IMO.

If the Passport checks all the boxes except for the hitch I would check first with Keystone to make sure a professionally installed hitch on the rear wouldn't void any warranties then have a pro install a frame mounted, strong, hitch. Any receiver that comes on an RV is pretty much useless, and even dangerous, IMO. They just aren't meant to be used. I've got one on the back of this trailer and I wouldn't put anything more than a small aluminum table and a beer on it.

You said you didn't want to use the bed of the truck for the Ebikes; is there a reason? My 2500 was a short bed and you can get a LOT of stuff in there, especially since you are looking at a mid weight bumper pull. Even if I had a super pro install a mega hitch on the back of an RV I would drive myself crazy carrying anything back there because I would be worried that something would become detached at any minute and I wouldn't know/see it. I've seen some pretty crazy stuff with those rear mounted receivers.
Old 12-07-2021, 01:26 PM   #8
breeves2245

Yes the 6.4L. As you know with your Ram, the bed is pretty high off the ground. The e-bikes are 50lbs. Not that I couldn't do it, but would prefer something easier.

But as you mentioned, I don't like the idea of not seeing the bike if it were on the back of the trailer. I guess I'll just have to deal with the bikes in the bed and quit being a girly man about it!
Old 12-07-2021, 02:11 PM   #9
markcee

I seem to recall from previous discussions that the preferred carry method is a rack, such as the one linked below, that is secured to the front frame of the trailer. Not sure if it would be any easier than getting the bikes out of the truck bed though.....

Futura GP Bike Rack

I'm sure there are other suitable racks of this style, at different price points.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:08 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Yes the 6.4L. As you know with your Ram, the bed is pretty high off the ground. The e-bikes are 50lbs. Not that I couldn't do it, but would prefer something easier.

But as you mentioned, I don't like the idea of not seeing the bike if it were on the back of the trailer. I guess I'll just have to deal with the bikes in the bed and quit being a girly man about it!

Do you know what rear axle ratio you got? Mine had the 3.73 but only had the 6 speed (2014). The 8 speed makes a huge difference. It will handle your proposed load with no problem.

Don't know that worrying about dealing with those e bikes has anything to do with being a "girly man" - just managing a load. Also don't know your age but if like me, once you break, tear up and wear out enough things they say are irreparable you just have to "adjust".

If you're married maybe the DW could assist in putting the bikes in the bed. Another thought would be a ramp; used to load my dirt bikes using a single ramp - of course DW helped on the top end to steady it so I could get up then get them strapped in.....but they weighed a LOT more than an E bike. I think they make some that fold as well (mind didn't/don't).
Old 12-07-2021, 04:30 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

Riding a motorcycle or E-Bike would be terrifying up a single ramp. I have a tri fold ramp that is bowed some so that lawn tractors and such (or a motorcycle) will not scrape when going over the edge.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, passport