Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #1
canesfan

Furnace High Pitched Whine

We just picked up a new 2014 Raptor 300MP. The furnace is under the steps on the doorside and the return air vents are on the back of the steps. The furnace has a very high pitched whine if you will. I had the dealer look at it twice in a couple of days and they did everything they could think, even shimmed it because they said it was vibrating just a tad, but it still whines. They even tried to put some insulation over the return air vent covers to maybe see if it would mute the whine but it didn't do anything to help. Never had a furnace whine like this, it's really annoying. Any ideas? Thanks!

Also, on a side note, I'm not impressed with the amount of heat it puts out. All my others would keep things nice and toasty, this one feels like it's blowing half cold air, although the air coming out the outside vent sure is hot.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
Roller4Tan

I have the "whine" in my 5th wheel as well. It is from the propane leaving the tanks. Sometimes changing pigtails help. Sometimes just from one tank and not the other. ( I have one bottle on each side ) You can do a web search for it and get additional info.
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
gkainz

I had a whistle/whine/moan noise in a home furnace once - drove me batty trying to find it. Finally found a loose end of metallic duct tape acting like a musical reed on one of the ducts. Every time the furnace started up, the stupid thing played a C# ...

Low airflow is most likely kinked, squashed, obstructed or way way extra length duct tubes ... there's a number of threads here on that.

Edit - I'll bet the low airflow and noise are both related, and I will also bet it's because of restricted airflow.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
therink

I have the furnace arrangement much like yours. My furnace is located in belly on street side (below shower) with ductless return vent opening thst is located on lower stair riser on door side. My furnace is very quiet. I can barely hear it running.
Sounds like you may have a bad fan or noisey propane feed line as mentioned above.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
FullTimer

I did a little investigating on mine earlier this week 2002 Sprinter. I pulled the closest floor register and using a mirror and flashlight, looked into the ductwork and found the section leading from the heater, that joins the main long metal floor run at a right angle, had partially collapsed. Honestly not sure why. I kind of engineered it a little for now . I took a drill socket extension, about 3 inches long and stood it on end, and using a long pair of channellocks holding the extention upright, slid it into the squashed metal duct until I reached the smallest part. Forcing it back open some. The proper way to fix is from underneath or cut the floor, neither of which I want to think about. I do have a slight whistle from the pigtail when the gas hog heater is running, but not noticeable inside
FullTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
canesfan

Thanks for the replies so far. After reading them I should add, you can only hear the whine inside, not outside, unless you remove the furnace cover and stick your ear up to it. But I'll check the LP tank pigtails along with other suggestions as soon as it warms up some.

My guess is whatever is causing it, it is being magnified by the sound echoing under the steps. It is loud enough that it kept me awake the first night or two.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
FullTimer

You know I have wondered about this, can you take insulation and lay over the heater? To mainly act as a sound deadener? I mean all the heat exchange takes place inside so as long as you don't cover the return grills on the case....
Old 01-24-2014, 11:06 AM   #8
canesfan

FT - I asked and they said you can NOT put insulation touching the furnace, they were trying it on the return grills on the steps to see if it might deaden the whine, but whatever was used would have to let air pass through (like the filter in your home furnace). But the insulation didn't make any difference in deadening the sound.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #9
FullTimer

Ahh thanks, that's what I was wondering...
Old 09-23-2021, 09:16 AM   #10
djac13

I have a whiney noise also but mine happens only after the furnace turns on and is running for a few minutes. The furnace will shut down and then the whiney noise will happen and it happens at the furnace. Any thoughts or suggestions on what's going on?

I'm guessing it's a shut off warning or something warning you. Just started happening today.

bought the trailer used.... and just saw this reviews of my furnace model. Not the best thing to see.

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/outdoo...furnace-136874
djac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:46 AM   #11
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post

Also, on a side note, I'm not impressed with the amount of heat it puts out. ....
That's because about 1/2 of the heat is actually blowing under the floors to keep the underbelly warm and pipes from freezing.
Old 09-23-2021, 04:17 PM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

I need a wifey manual, mine has developed a whine lately.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:45 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I need a wifey manual, mine has developed a whine lately.

You don't want that manual Marshall. I found mine a few years back and used it to diagnose DW.....it took me 4 days to digest and get that thing out after it was fed to me. And I relearned....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:51 PM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You don't want that manual Marshall. I found mine a few years back and used it to diagnose DW.....it took me 4 days to digest and get that thing out after it was fed to me. And I relearned....
LOL I think it’s age but just a replacement is just too expensive and besides I absolutely love the old one.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:16 AM   #15
Mic

the squirrels in the squirrel cage might have gotten out and need some food/grease on the axle of the blower fan ??