Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2021, 03:43 PM   #1
SC GT Yellow Jacket

Cougar 29RLD Power Converter Location

Apparently my power converter on my 2020 Cougar 29RLD is not working. Before I commence trying to take things apart to locate the converter I am wondering if someone can tell me the exact location and best way to access.

I expect it to be under the stove since the power breaker/fuse panel is below the stove. Anyone there been into theirs?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Kerry Sartain
ToGo Roadlink C2
SC GT Yellow Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 03:51 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Odds are that’s where it is, takes all of 3 minutes to find out. What makes you think it’s bad?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:10 PM   #3
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC GT Yellow Jacket View Post
Apparently my power converter on my 2020 Cougar 29RLD is not working. Before I commence trying to take things apart to locate the converter I am wondering if someone can tell me the exact location and best way to access.

I expect it to be under the stove since the power breaker/fuse panel is below the stove. Anyone there been into theirs?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Kerry Sartain

For what it's worth...
Ours is 2020 26RBSWE and the converter/charger is behind the breaker panel under the oven..

That's the OEM screwed to the floor. Also, that is a negative buss bar Keystone used for all the 12v negative lines. The other converter/charger is a PD Lithium compatible I was installing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200627_085726082.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	34439   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200627_100358629.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	34440   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200627_100931925.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	34441  
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:41 PM   #4
SC GT Yellow Jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Odds are that’s where it is, takes all of 3 minutes to find out. What makes you think it’s bad?
Recently returned from 7 weeks on the road. Parked the camper at my home and connected the shore power to a 30 amp circuit I have dedicated to the camper. I have kept the batteries charged previously using this setup between trips.

I use the In-Command system to check the voltage periodically and last week it was in the 12.7 to 14.1 range depending on the mode of the charger. Then when I checked recently voltage read 6.9 volts and was grayed out on the In-Command system. I went inside the trailer and the In-Command system woudl not come on, it had a white ecreen with some flickering which I assumed was reactine to low voltage. No lights worked or anything else.

Nothing else catastrophic has happened that would have caused a problem that I know of. Planning to do some investigation in the morning. Was in the hospital a couple of days last week and just recovering.

Thanks for the reply.
Kerry
ToGo Roadlink C2
Old 07-02-2021, 05:44 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Hope your ok. If the converter did go it would be a good time to upgrade. I would also check the batteries.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-02-2021, 05:54 PM   #6
SC GT Yellow Jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Hope your ok. If the converter did go it would be a good time to upgrade. I would also check the batteries.
I'm sure the batteries are toast. They were powering the parasitic loads including a data link that was still on. I use two 6 volt GC2 deep cycle batteries in series.

Any recommendations on a good converter to consider? I have 50 amp service and have already installed a 3000 watt inverter.

Thanks
ToGo Roadlink C2
Old 07-02-2021, 06:45 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

WFCO makes quality units at a fair price IMO. If your current one say 45A, I would step up to 55A or more.

Old 07-03-2021, 11:28 AM   #8
SC GT Yellow Jacket

Thanks!

This morning I removed the power distribution panel and verified the power converter was not working. I have removed the converter and will order a replacement. It is a WFCO WF-9855 so it is a 55 amp model. Up until now I felt it worked very well. I am wondering if keeping it operating and charging the batteries while the trailer sits closed up during the summer time caused it to overheat to the point of self destruction. I live in South Carolina and although it has not been extremely hot so far this summer, the trailer was closed up, closing in all the heat generated. I will have to check what operating temps the converter is rated for. Maybe I will have to consider a separate converter to charge the batteries when the trailer is not in use.
ToGo Roadlink C2
Old 07-03-2021, 12:05 PM   #9
mikec557

Quote:
Thanks!

This morning I removed the power distribution panel and verified the power converter was not working. I have removed the converter and will order a replacement. It is a WFCO WF-9855 so it is a 55 amp model. Up until now I felt it worked very well. I am wondering if keeping it operating and charging the batteries while the trailer sits closed up during the summer time caused it to overheat to the point of self destruction. I live in South Carolina and although it has not been extremely hot so far this summer, the trailer was closed up, closing in all the heat generated. I will have to check what operating temps the converter is rated for. Maybe I will have to consider a separate converter to charge the batteries when the trailer is not in use.
I suggest choosing a new charger/converter that includes a lithium profile. You don't have lithium now but you may later. WFCO has them and I think the model with the additional lithium profile will not cost much more than the one without.

Edit, this might be the one, but I just woke up. Read up on it before listening to me, lol

https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-9855lis/
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 01:06 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks!

It would be beneficial to look up the operating temp ranges but I wouldn't think keeping it running to charge the batteries had anything to do with its demise. I keep them plugged in year round while in use or not and have not had a converter failure (knock on wood).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, cougar, power