Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2021, 02:59 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Craftsman Generator?

Don't see "Craftsman" thrown around when talking about good generators, or much anything good these days.

Due to a recent storm I had to have a generator to keep things afloat at the S&B. Power was out in the town locally so had to start looking elsewhere. The only decent sized inverter generator I could find was a Craftsman 3300 70 miles away. About gave up hopes then as I researched found they were recently released and basically a rebadged Generac 3300. I was good with that since Generac makes some good gen sets so picked one up. Haven't had it long term; ran 2 days (and nights) and ran like a top.

Didn't know Craftsman had allied with Generac but all questions sent to Craftsman about the 3300 are answered by Generac. Just thought I would throw that out there. Bought at Lowe's for $899.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 03:34 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

I think the Craftsman name has been sold and not the same Craftsman we may have grown up with. Sears? I haven't been in a Sears for years but know Sears got bought by K-Mart and the lifetime, no questions asked about broken hand tool returned for replacement went by the boards. I also realize Craftsman is now sold in a bunch of box store outlets. Good info on the generators! At least they seem to be made by a legit company.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 03:59 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I think the Craftsman name has been sold and not the same Craftsman we may have grown up with. Sears? I haven't been in a Sears for years but know Sears got bought by K-Mart and the lifetime, no questions asked about broken hand tool returned for replacement went by the boards. I also realize Craftsman is now sold in a bunch of box store outlets. Good info on the generators! At least they seem to be made by a legit company.

In the little bit of looking I've been able to do since purchase I think I would be very careful about buying any of their other models without doing some homework. The Craftsman 3300i is just a Generac 3300i with red sides and Craftsman on it - I don't think (know) that the rest of the line is the same as this appears to be something very recent.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:08 PM   #4
GHen

I have 20 year old craftsman 5500 watt. Got us through a lot of power outages. Mine was not designed to be quiet, I should worn ear protection starting it up.

That said, I’m not sure that craftsman makes much of their own stuff. My Craftsman chain saw was a Poulon or something like that. They just contract with companies to put their name on stuff.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:38 PM   #5
Stumpy75

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
I have 20 year old craftsman 5500 watt. Got us through a lot of power outages. Mine was not designed to be quiet, I should worn ear protection starting it up.
I have a similar(or same) generator bought before the Y2K nonevent. It IS loud, but it has seen some use with extended outages. All the maintenance parts are Generac, so I'm assuming it was made by Generac with the Craftsman name on it.

2014 Keystone Outback 210TRS
2020 F150, 3.5l, 4x4, 3.55:1, Supercrew
Stumpy75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator