Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2021, 04:52 AM   #1
Oldolds67442

Cap lights

I have a 2021 pemier 30ri. Does anyone know how to turn the high front amber cap lights on?

I see they come on when I’m plugged into truck with the lights on but find it hard to believe that’s the only way they come on.

I’ve checked for a switch all through the front storage compartment and around the battery and front cap and the control panel but I’m sure it’s a tiny switch somewhere I’m overlooking. Thank you.
Oldolds67442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:59 AM   #2
jxnbbl

I have a Bullet 273bh 2021...

On our last trip I found a switch in the front pass through that I never noticed before that turns these on. For the bullet there are two running lights but there i also an led strip that is turned on by this switch. The running lights are illuminated in travel.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 05:21 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

If they are up high and amber in color, then they are likely the new style of marker lights. You can turn them on, along with all the other marker lights by jumpering 2 connectors in the 7 way umbilical cord.

Looking at the cord with the tab at the top, jumper between the top two.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 05:57 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If by "High front amber lights" you mean the two lights at the top outer corners of your trailer, they are ICC running lights, required for safety reasons while towing. They are wired to illuminate along with the 3 located on each side of your trailer (front two on each side are amber, rear is red) and the five located along the top of the rear cap. All of those lights, 13 total, all come on with the tail lights on the rear cap. There is no way to "switch on the front two" without the others also being illuminated.

Those lights are not intended to be used "while camping", although many people do use them (all in unison) as a "unique way to light there trailer". Some do it so the pizza delivery guy can find the trailer in a campground, some do it so they can find their trailer when they return from partying, some do it, "just to do it" and some do it "so they can be different"...

At any rate, they are not put on the trailer "so you have camping lights". They are intended for towing safety.

To illuminate them, you can use your trailer battery power by jumpering pins 3 and 4 on the trailer umbilical. They are the two pins located on either side of the "index tab"....

Most people will use a 5 amp or a 10 amp fuse with the contacts slightly bent so it will plug into those slots on the umbilical. I would not recommend using a piece of wire. If anything shorts out, you stand to burn/melt the trailer wiring that way.

I have used a "old mechanical flasher" to power the running lights (in an emergency). That causes the lights to flash, calling attention to the trailer parked on the side of a busy road or to "identify it in a crowded campground"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:47 AM   #5
Oldolds67442

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If by "High front amber lights" you mean the two lights at the top outer corners of your trailer, they are ICC running lights, required for safety reasons while towing. They are wired to illuminate along with the 3 located on each side of your trailer (front two on each side are amber, rear is red) and the five located along the top of the rear cap. All of those lights, 13 total, all come on with the tail lights on the rear cap. There is no way to "switch on the front two" without the others also being illuminated.

Those lights are not intended to be used "while camping", although many people do use them (all in unison) as a "unique way to light there trailer". Some do it so the pizza delivery guy can find the trailer in a campground, some do it so they can find their trailer when they return from partying, some do it, "just to do it" and some do it "so they can be different"...

At any rate, they are not put on the trailer "so you have camping lights". They are intended for towing safety.

To illuminate them, you can use your trailer battery power by jumpering pins 3 and 4 on the trailer umbilical. They are the two pins located on either side of the "index tab"....

Most people will use a 5 amp or a 10 amp fuse with the contacts slightly bent so it will plug into those slots on the umbilical. I would not recommend using a piece of wire. If anything shorts out, you stand to burn/melt the trailer wiring that way.

I have used a "old mechanical flasher" to power the running lights (in an emergency). That causes the lights to flash, calling attention to the trailer parked on the side of a busy road or to "identify it in a crowded campground"....
I’m talking about the led light strip at the very top of the front cap. Thanks.
Oldolds67442 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights