Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2021, 11:04 AM   #1
Robbie65

Satellite coax

On a 2018 Laredo 298 sell can not get my dish playmaker to work using the satellite prep port and using the satellite port behind the main tv. Any splitters in the line?
Robbie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 01:33 PM   #2
jfk69

Probably. Ours doesn’t work either. For the moment, I’m running the coax out the side of the slide under the wiper while I figure out a more permanent solution.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 02:21 PM   #3
Terry W.

I had same issue on my Avalanche. I put a cable connection on side of camper right by entertainment center. Short coax to wally and antenna on the outside. Been working for about 3 years now
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 03:42 PM   #4
Mikendebbie

Sat connection would not work for my Dish Tailgater/VIP211z black box either on our 2017 Laredo 33RL. I would run a direct cable thru a nearby window to the back of my black box. Based on what I have read on other forums it would seem that the OEM splitters don't play nice with low power sat antennas like a Tailgater. I installed a coax "pigtail"
connected to my black box and sticking out from the slideout wire loom below the entertainment center. Now I just hook up to that coax and don't run it thru the window any more.

FYI...the regular antenna and park cable wiring work fine in my current rig (it worked fine in my former rig the Laredo).
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 03:40 AM   #5
RickV

If you have KeyTV take the main hookup box loose and check the connections. On mine they were all finger tighten loose, also had one dead port changed the coax to another port and my Pathway X2 worked again.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:39 AM   #6
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
If you have KeyTV take the main hookup box loose and check the connections. On mine they were all finger tighten loose, also had one dead port changed the coax to another port and my Pathway X2 worked again.
KeyTV reared it's head again. The other day after hooking up my Satellite Dish at a new campground I wasn't getting good signal on one of the 3 satellites so I bypassed the KeyTV yet again and the satellite dish signal went back to normal. So I ordered an outside coax connection feed and will just bypass the KeyTV.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 06-10-2021, 05:49 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I can't find the documentation right now, but if I remember correctly, there is a "known issue" (Keystone won't call it a problem, just an issue) with power through the Key-TV system to the satellite receiver system. The receiver has to have 12 VDC supplied through the coax to power the motors used to aim the satellite receiver. On some receivers, using a coax cable longer than 25' or a coax that is not the "one supplied with the Key-TV system, the satellite receiver will not get the 12VDC to power the motors and the system will not point toward the satellites. So, it may not be a "Key-TV failure" but rather a "limitation that is a known problem"...

Take a look at your Key-TV documentation. Depending on the brand/model satellite dish you have, it might be "doing exactly what it's supposed to do based on Key-TV function. On those receivers, bypassing the Key-TV is the only "knows fix" to supply 12 volts to the satellite system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:01 AM   #8
ChuckS

You might look into the power inserter offered by these folks that will work with the Dish Playmaker... The specs state up to 125 feet of coax ( of the correect type) can be used ..

You may be loosing just enough voltage from your existing power inserter that is preventing it form working...

I run my DTV portable dish thru my SAT coax port on my Alpine and have not had any issues with SAT antenna not working..

My coax run to the portable dish is 50 feet...

https://winegard.com/products/satell...cable-extender

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 03:26 AM   #9
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I can't find the documentation right now, but if I remember correctly, there is a "known issue" (Keystone won't call it a problem, just an issue) with power through the Key-TV system to the satellite receiver system. The receiver has to have 12 VDC supplied through the coax to power the motors used to aim the satellite receiver. On some receivers, using a coax cable longer than 25' or a coax that is not the "one supplied with the Key-TV system, the satellite receiver will not get the 12VDC to power the motors and the system will not point toward the satellites. So, it may not be a "Key-TV failure" but rather a "limitation that is a known problem"...

Take a look at your Key-TV documentation. Depending on the brand/model satellite dish you have, it might be "doing exactly what it's supposed to do based on Key-TV function. On those receivers, bypassing the Key-TV is the only "knows fix" to supply 12 volts to the satellite system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
You might look into the power inserter offered by these folks that will work with the Dish Playmaker... The specs state up to 125 feet of coax ( of the correect type) can be used ..

You may be loosing just enough voltage from your existing power inserter that is preventing it form working...

I run my DTV portable dish thru my SAT coax port on my Alpine and have not had any issues with SAT antenna not working..

My coax run to the portable dish is 50 feet...

https://winegard.com/products/satell...cable-extender
What I don't understand is after making the changes that I talked about in post #5 it worked fine again for 3 weeks then the other day it started having issues with weak signal again. I am only using a 30' cable and if I by-pass the KeyTV it works great.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 06-11-2021, 03:59 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
What I don't understand is after making the changes that I talked about in post #5 it worked fine again for 3 weeks then the other day it started having issues with weak signal again. I am only using a 30' cable and if I by-pass the KeyTV it works great.
Same location? If location remained the same was dish moved by anyone? Lastly, was there any change in weather. If the Key tv port is dead then it's dead and if one port has already died than I expect others to follow suite. Just thinking outload but if the signal is marginal and something has changed such as weather than the that signal that was "just strong enough" may not be strong enough now to overcome the loss of the splitters, etc.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:53 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
If your KeyTV had one "dead port" and you "changed to another port and it worked fine", was the "dead port caused by overloading the KeyTV by connecting the satellite dish which burned up that port? so when you moved to another port, it "worked fine" (until it also burned up that port) ???

With most electronics, there is a "small forgiveness zone" where you can get away with overloading a circuit "for a short time"... Sort of like you can have a 15 amp fuse and connect 15.5 amps to run for 1 minute, then off for 10 minutes and that fuse may be OK, but if you connect 15.6 amps and leave it running for 30 minutes, you'll likely blow the fuse..... KeyTV as "an electronic circuit "forgiveness" and you probably "were just on the verge, until you went over and it no longer works....

The KeyTV system is capable of supplying power to operate the aiming motors in SOME satellite dish systems, but the power requirement for "SOME OTHER" satellite dish systems is too great and the KeyTV "box" can't supply that much power. So, when you "overload the KeyTV box, like most other electronic "fuses"... You'll wind up with a "dead port". Move to another port and overload it: Same result.

Get the "external power supply to provide power to your satellite dish system and you probably won't have any further problems once you figure out which ports on your KeyTV are still functional.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:23 AM   #12
wiredgeorge

Not sure why people spend time trying to make KeyTV work when all you have to do is put an outside connector on your camper that connects through to the inside. Put your Playmaker's RG6 coax on the outside and on the inside run a piece of RG6 to your Wally or 211. I have an OLD camper with no sat connector (only cable tv and I doubt it is RG6) and that is what I do and have no issues with watching DishTV when I camp.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:15 AM   #13
ChuckS

It’s been two years now since Keystone introduced the new concept of “KeyTV” and the problems continue to pile up.. with apparently zero resolution..

The concept is great with dedicated coax feeds for each TV and such. But the electronics in the module need some redesign and MTBF runs

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:29 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
It’s been two years now since Keystone introduced the new concept of “KeyTV” and the problems continue to pile up.. with apparently zero resolution..

The concept is great with dedicated coax feeds for each TV and such. But the electronics in the module need some redesign and MTBF runs
Yup, another example of "it looked good on paper".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 03:04 AM   #15
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Not sure why people spend time trying to make KeyTV work when all you have to do is put an outside connector on your camper that connects through to the inside. Put your Playmaker's RG6 coax on the outside and on the inside run a piece of RG6 to your Wally or 211. I have an OLD camper with no sat connector (only cable tv and I doubt it is RG6) and that is what I do and have no issues with watching DishTV when I camp.
This is what I am going to do. I ordered this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017P8HASY...roduct_details Monday still haven't got it. I don't know what is going on with Amazon my "Prime" order finally shipped yesterday. I am on the road and having it shipped to the next Campground we will be at. I had to do the same thing to our old 5er. It didn't have KeyTV just a Satellite hook up but it worked when it felt like it so I bypassed it problem solved.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 06-12-2021, 03:12 AM   #16
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If your KeyTV had one "dead port" and you "changed to another port and it worked fine", was the "dead port caused by overloading the KeyTV by connecting the satellite dish which burned up that port? so when you moved to another port, it "worked fine" (until it also burned up that port) ???

With most electronics, there is a "small forgiveness zone" where you can get away with overloading a circuit "for a short time"... Sort of like you can have a 15 amp fuse and connect 15.5 amps to run for 1 minute, then off for 10 minutes and that fuse may be OK, but if you connect 15.6 amps and leave it running for 30 minutes, you'll likely blow the fuse..... KeyTV as "an electronic circuit "forgiveness" and you probably "were just on the verge, until you went over and it no longer works....

The KeyTV system is capable of supplying power to operate the aiming motors in SOME satellite dish systems, but the power requirement for "SOME OTHER" satellite dish systems is too great and the KeyTV "box" can't supply that much power. So, when you "overload the KeyTV box, like most other electronic "fuses"... You'll wind up with a "dead port". Move to another port and overload it: Same result.

Get the "external power supply to provide power to your satellite dish system and you probably won't have any further problems once you figure out which ports on your KeyTV are still functional.
This could be the Problem I have the Pathway X2 which is bigger then the Tailgater and the whole unit rotates so it may need more power. That being said I am just gonna bypass it.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 06-17-2021, 11:40 AM   #17
RickV

My "New KeyTV" Satellite 🛰 hookup
Works Great!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210617_32885.jpg
Views:	162