Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2021, 09:23 PM   #1
MotoDad293

2021 Raptor stock inverter question

I have a question about the built-in from Keystone. I have a 2021 Keystone Raptor 351. It came from Keystone with a Magnum Energy 2000 watt (CSW2012) inverter. OE stock, this inverter power a grand total of 3 outlets! Yes only 3 outlets. One outlet in the master, one outlet in the living room and the outlet in the garage that the TV came plugged into. I have confirmed the residential style refer is on the inverter.

I want to add 3 outlets to the inverter. The master tv, the living tv and the exterior tv! They will not be used at the same time. In fact, only one will be used at a time but I want the freedom to choose which one. I am actually cool with removing the garage tv from the inverter.

To support this, I have swapped out the 2 12v deep cycle batteries the dealer provided with 3 Lion Energy 105Ah 12v lithium batteries. I also swapped out the stock WFCO 70 amp converter with a Progressive Dyn 80 amp lithium converter. The trailer also came with the Jaboni 265watt/30 amp solar. I have tested my theory this will work reasonably well using extension cords to the tv in question from the outlets that are powered via the inverter. Solar is set to lithium charge profile and does a reasonable job keeping up with the batteries and roughly 2-3 hours of the Honda EU2000do ensure I start each night with full batteries not matter how much I ran them down the previous night. During the day is minimal, if any, usage.

So here is my problem. Figuring out how to wire in the additional outlets. I have removed lots and lots of panels to trace the wiring and I loose it right at the last point. It is currently wired like this... batteries to inverter disconnect to inverter. from the inverter goes to an automatic transfer switch. 1 input of the transfer switch is the inverter, the other input comes from the AC circuit breaker panel. The output of the transfer switch goes back toward the circuit panel but at the last moment, goes into a wall that leads to a space under the stairs, but never comes out under the stairs....

Has anyone here changed up what outlets are live via the inverter? I expected to see its own sub breaker panel near the main panel or even power one leg of the main panel but it does not. I have pretty much confirmed (with a power tester) that these 3 outlets do not land at the main panel. I am a little dumbfounded and what to ditch the extension cords.

Thank you for any ideas...
MotoDad293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:01 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoDad293 View Post
I have a question about the built-in from Keystone. I have a 2021 Keystone Raptor 351. It came from Keystone with a Magnum Energy 2000 watt (CSW2012) inverter. OE stock, this inverter power a grand total of 3 outlets! Yes only 3 outlets. One outlet in the master, one outlet in the living room and the outlet in the garage that the TV came plugged into. I have confirmed the residential style refer is on the inverter.

I want to add 3 outlets to the inverter. The master tv, the living tv and the exterior tv! They will not be used at the same time. In fact, only one will be used at a time but I want the freedom to choose which one. I am actually cool with removing the garage tv from the inverter.

To support this, I have swapped out the 2 12v deep cycle batteries the dealer provided with 3 Lion Energy 105Ah 12v lithium batteries. I also swapped out the stock WFCO 70 amp converter with a Progressive Dyn 80 amp lithium converter. The trailer also came with the Jaboni 265watt/30 amp solar. I have tested my theory this will work reasonably well using extension cords to the tv in question from the outlets that are powered via the inverter. Solar is set to lithium charge profile and does a reasonable job keeping up with the batteries and roughly 2-3 hours of the Honda EU2000do ensure I start each night with full batteries not matter how much I ran them down the previous night. During the day is minimal, if any, usage.

So here is my problem. Figuring out how to wire in the additional outlets. I have removed lots and lots of panels to trace the wiring and I loose it right at the last point. It is currently wired like this... batteries to inverter disconnect to inverter. from the inverter goes to an automatic transfer switch. 1 input of the transfer switch is the inverter, the other input comes from the AC circuit breaker panel. The output of the transfer switch goes back toward the circuit panel but at the last moment, goes into a wall that leads to a space under the stairs, but never comes out under the stairs....

Has anyone here changed up what outlets are live via the inverter? I expected to see its own sub breaker panel near the main panel or even power one leg of the main panel but it does not. I have pretty much confirmed (with a power tester) that these 3 outlets do not land at the main panel. I am a little dumbfounded and what to ditch the extension cords.

Thank you for any ideas...
The wire for the three outlets has its own breaker in the main electric panel...it is usually label “solar”. It goes to the 120 volt input side of inverter
The wire that is hooked to the output side of the inverter goes to the first outlet in the 3 outlet”chain”.
If there was no factory inverter installed that wire would just be a long wire that goes from main panel to the inverter location and then it loops back to first outlet in chain.
Since they installed the inverter,they just cut the wire and wired it in to both sides of the inverter
You would need to install a junction box or sub panel after the inverter to connect the additional circuits.
Either way you are limited to the original breaker size and wire size of the main feed from the solar breaker in the panel...it’s probably a 20 amp breaker and 12-2 romex wire since it’s a 2000 watt inverter... mine is only a 15 amp breaker because my fiver would usually come with a smaller inverter I believe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FBE50411-FE6F-4701-AEA9-AAC9F0DD450E.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	31886   Click image for larger version

Name:	A54EED84-AE67-4E55-9C5E-CA24EDF0F35B.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	31888   Click image for larger version

Name:	826D7685-5099-4D10-96A7-D044B2130C68.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	31889  
Old 02-08-2021, 08:54 AM   #3
MotoDad293

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
The wire for the three outlets has its own breaker in the main electric panel...it is usually label “solar”. <snip for space savings>
Interesting that is most helpful!! Thank you. I do have a 20amp breaker that has handwritten 'solar' on the label.

Since the output of the transfer switch (which is after the inverter) goes to the general area of the main breaker panel, I think I can toss a subpanel in the underneath area somewhat easier. As soon as I have more time, I will trackdown which outlet is fist in the chain, though that may not matter since the I know how close it comes to the main panel. Then I can snip that wire, use the source side as the power feed to the panel and the other side to feed power to the existing run. Then move the romex for the specific outlets I want from the 'General' circuit breaker to a new breaker in the new sub panel.... Hmm. Definitely going to entail more than I thought but I think I can accomplish this.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:24 AM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Interesting that is most helpful!! Thank you. I do have a 20amp breaker that has handwritten 'solar' on the label.

Since the output of the transfer switch (which is after the inverter) goes to the general area of the main breaker panel, I think I can toss a subpanel in the underneath area somewhat easier. As soon as I have more time, I will trackdown which outlet is fist in the chain, though that may not matter since the I know how close it comes to the main panel. Then I can snip that wire, use the source side as the power feed to the panel and the other side to feed power to the existing run. Then move the romex for the specific outlets I want from the 'General' circuit breaker to a new breaker in the new sub panel.... Hmm. Definitely going to entail more than I thought but I think I can accomplish this.
Might be easier to add a couple outlets if you have access rather then try to move original ones over to the existing solar circuit.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:38 AM   #5
MotoDad293

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Might be easier to add a couple outlets if you have access rather then try to move original ones over to the existing solar circuit.
Probably! The drawback is having to run new romex. I was hoping to use some sort of wire toner to ID the outlets wires going into the breaker box. Was hoping to use what is already existing but I am going to research and crawl around while we are camping this weekend.
Old 02-08-2021, 10:28 AM   #6
nuctrooper

Option B: open the breaker labeled converter. Then plug your main power cord into the inverter. Will power the entire rig. Just make sure you’re in boondocking config. Fridge in gas only. If you need to run heat, be sure breakers are open to the A/C units. Minimize unnecessary plug ins.
When you run the genny to recharge the batteries, shut the breaker to the converter once it’s running.
Installing the remote switch for the inverter is pretty easy, and is way better thank going outside to turn it on and off.
nuctrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:59 AM   #7
MotoDad293

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuctrooper View Post
Option B: open the breaker labeled converter. Then plug your main power cord into the inverter. Will power the entire rig. Just make sure you’re in boondocking config. Fridge in gas only. If you need to run heat, be sure breakers are open to the A/C units. Minimize unnecessary plug ins.
When you run the genny to recharge the batteries, shut the breaker to the converter once it’s running.
Installing the remote switch for the inverter is pretty easy, and is way better thank going outside to turn it on and off.
This is definitely a future option when I decide to go with 1300watt+ solar and significantly larger lithium battery back, Victron inverters, etc.. Probably atleast a year off.

I definitely do not want to create a loop having the converter/charger be powered off the batteries to charge the batteries... As well, until I have a huge power bank, I do not want the fridge to be powered off the inverter, it sucks enough propane as it is.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:01 AM   #8
MotoDad293

BTW... I called Keystone today to ask questions about the inverter setup and they were pretty rude about it. All they would say is I would void warranty, it is wired to their way. No schematics. Do not touch wiring, etc...

Heck they did not even offer to go to an authorized dealer for modification.

Very surprised by this.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:18 PM   #9
DesertCoyote

Quote:

MotoDad293, did you get this done? I just bought a Raptor 415 and have the same issue - unbelievable that I can only run two TVs on the inverter. I'm wanting to get the master TV and the kitchen outlets on it so I can run my icemaker during the days...
DesertCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 04:40 PM   #10
Chyzm123

Hello, I have a Raptor 352 model and trying to locate the inverter. Checked under sink behind power center and nothing to be found. Took a flashlight under the stairs and can see a bunch of wiring but did not see an inverter. Where was yours located?
Chyzm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 11:05 AM   #11
Chyzm123

Charger Found

Confirmed location of battery charger on my 2021 Raptor 352. It’s behind the second panel in the middle inside front storage area or as some call the basement. Had to remove some of the screws that held the white plastic cover that hides the plumbing. Not sure if all 352’s have this model but mine is a WFCO WF-9875. Next steps is installing a WirthCo Battery Doctor for the second battery which runs the generator and power converter that feeds the refrigerator when off shore power. Not sure if Keystone or dealer installed second battery but they never connected the charger. If someone reads this post and has questions on the charging solution just PM me. Thanks.
Chyzm123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, raptor