Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2021, 04:03 AM   #61
Mic

with all the locks on the EMS and its concern

has any one not locked and it grew legs???
Old 05-28-2021, 04:39 AM   #62
JDDilly

In 3 years, mine has been fine.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 04:48 AM   #63
rhagfo

Hard wired don't grow legs.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:07 AM   #64
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Hard wired don't grow legs.
I agree... and you rarely forget it and drive off...
Old 05-28-2021, 05:14 AM   #65
cavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post

never heard 1st hand of you being stolen in 6 years.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:18 AM   #66
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post

Been using this one 6 years without a lock and never had an issue or anyone remotely interested. Never talked to anyone that has had one walk off either.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:35 AM   #67
travelin texans

Used mine hanging from a pedestal all across the country in 10+ years of fulltiming & it never grew legs. I believe most folks are so afraid of electricity & not sure what that thing is hanging there they aren't about to touch it, hope they stay scared.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:57 AM   #68
JRTJH
Site Team

I can honestly say that in 50+ years of "site sitting in campgrounds" that I've never consciously walked around any campground specifically to look for EMS devices hanging on electrical connections.

What I'm saying is that I really don't think anyone "goes looking for an EMS in a busy campground". I've never talked to anyone who had an EMS stolen, although "I've read about it on the internet, so it must be true"...

Basically, I believe that campers are, for the most part, honest people who wouldn't consider stealing from their neighbor.... That said, since most shore power cables are now "detachable", locking the EMS to the shore power cord is, for the most part, an exercise in making sure both parts get stolen together, should it ever happen....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 09:10 AM   #69
Mic

agree

anyone would have to make sure no one is home
as removing would drop power.

good point about the shore cord...that is also EXPENSIVE with the price of copper.
Old 05-28-2021, 04:46 PM   #70
Pete::51

It Happens

A friend had his EMS, shore power card and propane tanks stolen last winter when his RV was stored in a locked, gated, commercial storage facility.

I had a problem similar to the OP's while at our winter location earlier this year, the EMS shut down the power for about a minute then restarted twice. When I investigated, I found a partially melted connection between my shore cord and a 15 foot 50 amp extension cord. The connection hadn't been moved since it was made two months earlier. I don't know why it failed, both ends at the connection were factory molded. **it happens.

My thought process for selecting a hard wired EMS was that the most likely failure point on the power system is the cord and its connections either at the pedestal or at the twist lock connection on the RV. That failure in my case was detected by the EMS because the voltage dropped when that bad connection got hot creating excess resistance. A portable unit at the pedestal would not have detected that drop because it occurred down stream. The voltage was just fine at the pedestal.

The purpose of an EMS is to protect the RV from out of spec power that could damage electronic components and motors. Mine did its job.
Pete::51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:43 AM   #71
alrothel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
OP while on the topic;

You will find receptacles in campgrounds in all sorts of repair/disrepair....some perfect and/or near new as well. IF a receptacle is wobbly loose I move to another site. If it's winter time and I'm not trying to run both ACs I'll use a 50A to 30A adapter IF the 30A plug is in better shape...but they are generally in worse shape. To that end I carry an 18" (I believe) dogbone type of cable that is simply a 50A Male and 50A female. I plug it into the ped before my EMS and use it as a "sacrificial" component for those "iffy" plugs we encounter all the time. When those start eating up the prongs on it I'll just replace it - much cheaper than another EMS.
Now that’s a great idea. My 50’ 50amp cord isn’t cheap and I like the molded ends better than cutting it off to replace it with a replacement plug. I much rather replace the sacrificial adapter
Ordering one now!!!
alrothel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:09 AM   #72
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrothel View Post
Now that’s a great idea. My 50’ 50amp cord isn’t cheap and I like the molded ends better than cutting it off to replace it with a replacement plug. I much rather replace the sacrificial adapter
Ordering one now!!!

I'm with you. I don't like putting "replacement" ends on a 50A cable (or EMS), I far prefer the molded ends. If one of the moldings, or plug ends, deteriorates I replace the entire cable vs the end therefore the "sacrificial" dogbone which is much cheaper.
Old 05-29-2021, 02:32 PM   #73
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm with you. I don't like putting "replacement" ends on a 50A cable (or EMS), I far prefer the molded ends. If one of the moldings, or plug ends, deteriorates I replace the entire cable vs the end therefore the "sacrificial" dogbone which is much cheaper.
Interesting, I made my own 50 amp 40’ service cable using 6/4 SOOW cable, very flexible and easy to store for travel. I can inspect the connections inside the plug. I have seen way too many molded ends where the cable jacket pull out of the head.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 03:30 PM   #74
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Interesting, I made my own 50 amp 40’ service cable using 6/4 SOOW cable, very flexible and easy to store for travel. I can inspect the connections inside the plug. I have seen way too many molded ends where the cable jacket pull out of the head.

Yes, you can make your own cable and you can put your own ends on it (I have 3 sitting at the barn). And the molded ends DO break loose if you aren't careful in how you use the cable and twist it (I use a reel). But, those aftermarket ends can, and will, leak water into that plug in places the molded ones won't. If my sheathing breaks loose from the plug on a molded one I buy a new cable; easy peasy. JMO