Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2021, 12:48 PM   #1
Jalex

Help! Hitch Height for mini

I just bought a 2016 Sprindale summerland mini 1800BH. I have a Subaru ascent with a 24 in hitch height. The trailer is currently stored far from home so I cannot measure hitch height. I need to buy the proper hitch receiver to pick it up. Anyone know what the hitch height is on the summerland mini?
Jalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:24 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Your Ascent receiver is 24” from the ground?

The most common height for the ball on trailers that size is 20-22” from the ground. Without knowing the weight of the trailer tongue, it may squat your car so it’s hard to say what shank you might need. Also need to know if the ball is 2” or 2 5/16”.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:28 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalex View Post
I just bought a 2016 Sprindale summerland mini 1800BH. I have a Subaru ascent with a 24 in hitch height. The trailer is currently stored far from home so I cannot measure hitch height. I need to buy the proper hitch receiver to pick it up. Anyone know what the hitch height is on the summerland mini?
First welcome to the forum. Did you by chance take a look at your Subaru'
s payload sticker? You can find it on the drivers side door jamb. It will be a yellow and white sticker that bsya "tire inflation guide" and printed on it will be "All passengers and cargo shall not exceed xxx lbs." that's the payload capacity. Alsi look on the hitch itself or in the drivers handbook for the hitch capacity which likely will be 500 lbs. max.

I think that Subaru is a unibody not a full frame SUV so you cannot use a weight distributing hitch. The trailer's max weight is 3,940 lbs. which you will be close to when loaded for camping. Hitch weight is typically calculated at 13% of trailer GVWR when the actual weight is not known. If you multiply the 3,.940 by .13 (13%) then the ESTIMATED tongue weight will be 512 lbs.

Take that max load capacity number and subtract the tongue weight, the weight of the witch and the weight of your family and everything that you have added to or put into the vehicle. I'm guessing you'll be over your payload. Small SUVs like that are not meant to tow 21' campers. That camper will push that SUV around in the wind or when a large truck passes.

I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm but ,merely making you aware of what you are facing and looking for you and your family to have an enjoyable and safe experience. It's no fun to drive "white knuckled" to get to a campground.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:36 PM   #4
Jalex

Thanks. Ascent payload is 1158 lbs sont i will be close but will manage rv and vehicle load accordingly. I just bought everything so i will need to make it work i guess. I also bought a tongue scale to stay below 500 lbs tongue weight. I will also never travel with water in the tanks.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:37 PM   #5
Jalex

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum

Your Ascent receiver is 24” from the ground?

The most common height for the ball on trailers that size is 20-22” from the ground. Without knowing the weight of the trailer tongue, it may squat your car so it’s hard to say what shank you might need. Also need to know if the ball is 2” or 2 5/16”.
Thanks. Ball size is 2 5/16.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:30 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Something is wrong or I got cheated on my new 1 ton, 4 wheel drive Ram; the bottom of my receiver is 21" off the ground.......

Looking at the pics of the Ascent you either have a custom made receiver that pops up behind the back hatch door OR....that receiver might be 12" off the ground - maybe.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:49 PM   #7
Jalex

There is a pop up hiding the ascent hitch. Its 24 inches off the ground which i find a bit high....
Old 01-24-2021, 06:09 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

If it we’re meeting, I would get a straight shank. The trailer is going to squat the back end and if I’m close to the ball height, it should tow just about level.

I see your in Canada, so I don’t know if you have stores like Lowe’s or Home Depot, but if you do, they sell a variety of shanks so you could change it out quickly. Another though that just popped into my mind-what size is the receiver?

Hopefully it’s 2”X2”.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:16 PM   #9
Jalex

Yes its a 2x2. I am trying to figure out the right drop as I think the ascent is high a 24 inch. If the 2016 mini is at 16 that would require a 8inch drop. Suraru oem shank is 6inch drop. Yes likely home depot, lowes or Canadian tire (if you happen to travel to canada this is a good place to shop for this)
Old 01-24-2021, 06:26 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalex View Post
Yes its a 2x2. I am trying to figure out the right drop as I think the ascent is high a 24 inch. If the 2016 mini is at 16 that would require a 8inch drop. Suraru oem shank is 6inch drop. Yes likely home depot, lowes or Canadian tire (if you happen to travel to canada this is a good place to shop for this)
You do want to start with the ball about 2-3” higher than the hitch to allow for the frame to drop.

Old 01-24-2021, 08:50 PM   #11
Jalex

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
You do want to start with the ball about 2-3” higher than the hitch to allow for the frame to drop.
Thanks. That’s helpful.

Tags
hitch