Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2021, 03:22 PM   #1
markcee

Under Slide Wear

I brought the trailer out of storage and am prepping for a local 4 day trip. I noticed dual wear marks under the sofa slide. The pic only shows one mark - the wiring harness is covering the other. This issue was not observed on the opposing slide.

I believe I read other complaints about this issue at some point and am curious if this is a warranty covered defect or if it's just one of the many routine joys of RV ownership. I have an appointment on 2/4 to get some other warranty work done so am curious if I should point this issue out when I check in. If not, can you provide some info on if this is self-repairable?

As always, thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide_wear.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	325.9 KB
ID:	31625  
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:53 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Your darco is torn - another of the many perks of RV ownership. If your trailer is under warranty so is the darco. The abrasions, and tears as you have, will continually get worse and also let moisture into the bottom of the slide and ruin the flooring. The torn pieces will cause the slide to jerk, moan and groan when they get caught under it.

You need to have the dealer turn it into Keystone then they and YOU will have to insist on a proper fix. This will not get better.

This trailer began tearing up the darco (rollers) on the first trip. After all the problems I've had with the material on other trailers I saw it first thing. The initial Keystone remedy was aluminum strips over the torn portions with lots of countersunk holes for screws to run across the wear bar (one side has rollers the other doesn't). This would have the same effect as drilling and slotting a brake rotor to run across the wear bar, which I told them AND that it was unacceptable. I have new solid surfaces under both my large slides and no more darco to wear.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:04 PM   #3
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Your darco is torn - another of the many perks of RV ownership. If your trailer is under warranty so is the darco. The abrasions, and tears as you have, will continually get worse and also let moisture into the bottom of the slide and ruin the flooring. The torn pieces will cause the slide to jerk, moan and groan when they get caught under it.

You need to have the dealer turn it into Keystone then they and YOU will have to insist on a proper fix. This will not get better.

This trailer began tearing up the darco (rollers) on the first trip. After all the problems I've had with the material on other trailers I saw it first thing. The initial Keystone remedy was aluminum strips over the torn portions with lots of countersunk holes for screws to run across the wear bar (one side has rollers the other doesn't). This would have the same effect as drilling and slotting a brake rotor to run across the wear bar, which I told them AND that it was unacceptable. I have new solid surfaces under both my large slides and no more darco to wear.
Thanks Danny. As always, I really appreciate the advice. My purchase date was on or about 12/20/19. I'm sure since I did not notice/report this sooner (prior to 1 year anniversary) I will have to brawl with them! We'll see what happens.....
Old 01-24-2021, 05:21 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Mark how well do you know your dealer? Maybe you could call the SM and ask if he thought he could get this through for warranty? Only a month out and a known problem I'm hoping that you may have a good ending. Give that a whirl. If the SM at your dealership just says "you're out of warranty" he's not worth his salt.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:00 PM   #5
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Mark how well do you know your dealer? Maybe you could call the SM and ask if he thought he could get this through for warranty? Only a month out and a known problem I'm hoping that you may have a good ending. Give that a whirl. If the SM at your dealership just says "you're out of warranty" he's not worth his salt.
I'll give it a shot for sure. I know you promote meeting the GM, sales manager etc. from other posts, but I haven't done that at my local CW. I actually purchased in Tucson but live closer to Phoenix, which is where my local CW is. I did 'brawl' with the Tucson GM and the Equalizer regional guy early on to get a hitch upgrade/swap out (which worked out to my benefit) but have not introduced myself to the local Avondale, AZ guy. I'll see what happens on 2/4....although I plan on calling in to them tomorrow to have them at least add this item to the list....reporting it anytime in January, sounds better than waiting 'til February, I guess.

As always, appreciate the wisdom.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:39 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
I'll give it a shot for sure. I know you promote meeting the GM, sales manager etc. from other posts, but I haven't done that at my local CW. I actually purchased in Tucson but live closer to Phoenix, which is where my local CW is. I did 'brawl' with the Tucson GM and the Equalizer regional guy early on to get a hitch upgrade/swap out (which worked out to my benefit) but have not introduced myself to the local Avondale, AZ guy. I'll see what happens on 2/4....although I plan on calling in to them tomorrow to have them at least add this item to the list....reporting it anytime in January, sounds better than waiting 'til February, I guess.

Remember, there is a 90 day limit on "adjustments" to the trailer systems. That means if they determine that the ripped DARCO is a result of the slide needing adjustment, then the repairs will be "on your dime"... So, depending on when you purchased the trailer and when that 90 days is up, you may or may not be "OK" on 2/4.....

I'm not trying to scare you, but understand that if you bought the trailer "one place" and are taking it to "another place" for maintenance on a 90 day limited component adjustment and it's been 91 days, you probably won't get the same "understanding concern" at dealer #2 that you would from the dealer that got the profit from the sale.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:29 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post

IMO I never deal with the "guy at the door" other than to get info that I don't know - and then it's generally wrong. Get to know the folks at the dealership, on a "good guy" basis and explain the situation. Dealing with someone other than the dealer that sold you the unit can present warranty problems; from CW senior management I was told directly they will honor the warranty for your trailer at any CW as if you bought it there. Now assuring that happens will take diligence. Your and the CW staff's interaction with Keystone will determine the outcome. There are escalations within both organizations.

Tags
slide