Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2020, 05:35 PM   #1
RogerF

22rbs solar question

If I splice a solar inverter into the romex loop in my solar ready 22rbs in order to run the three outlets designated for the inverter, does the battery mounted on the tongue still run all the interior lights, water pump, and other 12v equipment in the trailer? In other words, does the solar system with its own battery bank somehow interfere with the operation of the original battery powered equipment?
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:49 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerF View Post
If I splice a solar inverter into the romex loop in my solar ready 22rbs in order to run the three outlets designated for the inverter, does the battery mounted on the tongue still run all the interior lights, water pump, and other 12v equipment in the trailer? In other words, does the solar system with its own battery bank somehow interfere with the operation of the original battery powered equipment?
Normally what you would want to do is upgrade your existing battery bank to at least 2 deep cycle batteries
(I have two 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series to make one large 12 volt battery bank) this would be your battery bank for your entire trailer.

You could go with Lithium batteries but they are fairly expensive .
Then you would buy an inverter and install it where the romex loop comes over to your solar prep area. The inverter needs a transfer switch as well.
(Built in or separate)
When plugged into shore power your entire trailer runs off of the 120 volt shore power for electric outlets,Tv,etc
120 volts passes through the inverter via the transfer switch and the three solar outlets are powered as usual (120 volts)
Your lights ,water pump etc run off of the 12 volt converter when plugged in to shore power.
Your batteries are also charged by the converter.

When you disconnect the shore power cord, the lights,water pump etc will run off the batteries
The inverter will take the 12 volt incoming power and convert it to 120 volts ac.This will give you three outlets for tv, charging phones,Cpap machine.etc
(Probably stick to min 1000 to 1800 watt max inverter)
You will not be able to use any high amp draw items like microwaves,air conditioners or heaters,coffee makers. These would deplete the batterys pretty fast

You could then have a solar panel or panels to charge up the batteries.
Smaller suitcase panels of at least 200 watt would be a minimum.(they make smaller but would take forever to charge batteries)
You would also need a solar charge controller ( some suitcase systems include it)
Renogy makes some affordable nice systems

This is for a basic system like I have.
Some on this forum have really elaborate systems costing thousands of dollars
I’m sure you will get answers from those more knowledgeable on the subject
Old 12-30-2020, 07:46 PM   #3
RogerF

Just really wanting to know if I set up a solar system with its own battery bank will the original battery setup still work as a separate system.
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:50 PM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerF View Post
Just really wanting to know if I set up a solar system with its own battery bank will the original battery setup still work as a separate system.
You won’t have a separate battery bank for solar. It will all be off of one primary trailer battery bank
Just need to upgrade and get rid of existing batteries and get two higher amp hour batteries to replace what came with the trailer ( if it’s the typical boat battery that came from dealer)
Old 12-30-2020, 07:51 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
You won’t have a separate battery bank for solar. It will all be off of one primary trailer battery bank
Just need to upgrade and get rid of existing batteries and get two higher amp hour batteries to replace what came with the trailer ( if it’s the typical boat battery that came from dealer)
Unless your trying some new hybrid way of doing it but that’s not a typical install

Tags
solar