Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2020, 09:18 AM   #1
wmg101

TV Cable issue

Sorry for the long post... Recently bought a used 2020 Springdale 298BH, our first ever travel trailer. At our first campsite we connected the site's cable TV to the outside jack at the rear of the trailer, but the TV signal would not work (I had it connected to the powered antenna jack and the powered antenna was turned off, as required). As a noobie, I also tried connecting the TV to each of the other 2 coax connectors (the ones connected to each other by a U-shaped jumper), but neither of those worked, either. So I gave up and thought it was the site's cable that didn't work. We went to another site last week and had the same issue, so I removed the powered coax plate from the wall to see what was going on. See Image1 for what I found. Yes, that short orange cable is not connected to anything, and there's an unused coax connector on the back of the circuit board. So to get a better feel for the connections, I removed the dual coax plate as well and...well, see for yourself in Image2... Seriously? Wow! So I started pulling on the cables in the wall and found that the orange cable in the wall (Image2) was spliced to the grey cable (image1). By dumb luck, I decided to try something...I connected the TV to the coax in the bunkhouse and it worked! So while the TV was on, I disconnected the orange and grey cables from one another and the signal was lost. That told me that one of them was the live signal, so I guessed that it was the grey cable and connected it to the open connection on the circuit board, then spliced together the 2 orange cables. That worked! The main TV location, the bunkhouse and the bedroom TVs now all worked. I forgot to try the outside TV connection, though, so I'll try that in a couple weeks, BUT the point of all of this is - what should that dual coax plate be connected to?? I don't even see any other loose cables in the wall near the plate to connect to it. From what I've gathered, those are supposed to be used for satellite hookups, so does that mean my trailer is not wired properly for satellite? I'm completely dumbfounded by this wiring job! I mean, how exactly does something like this pass through the factory? Didn't the person who screwed the plate to the wall, ya know, not notice it wasn't connected to anything?? Ridiculous! Anyway, is there maybe a wiring schematic out there that could help me understand how things should be wired? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	29421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	29422  
wmg101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:43 AM   #2
bobbecky

This tool will be your friend when it comes to the coax cabling in these rigs. There are no schematics for anything in these RV's, electric, plumbing, or coax.
https://www.amazon.com/Locations-Exp...62&s=hi&sr=1-4
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:25 AM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmg101 View Post
Sorry for the long post... Recently bought a used 2020 Springdale 298BH, our first ever travel trailer. At our first campsite we connected the site's cable TV to the outside jack at the rear of the trailer, but the TV signal would not work (I had it connected to the powered antenna jack and the powered antenna was turned off, as required). As a noobie, I also tried connecting the TV to each of the other 2 coax connectors (the ones connected to each other by a U-shaped jumper), but neither of those worked, either. So I gave up and thought it was the site's cable that didn't work. We went to another site last week and had the same issue, so I removed the powered coax plate from the wall to see what was going on. See Image1 for what I found. Yes, that short orange cable is not connected to anything, and there's an unused coax connector on the back of the circuit board. So to get a better feel for the connections, I removed the dual coax plate as well and...well, see for yourself in Image2... Seriously? Wow! So I started pulling on the cables in the wall and found that the orange cable in the wall (Image2) was spliced to the grey cable (image1). By dumb luck, I decided to try something...I connected the TV to the coax in the bunkhouse and it worked! So while the TV was on, I disconnected the orange and grey cables from one another and the signal was lost. That told me that one of them was the live signal, so I guessed that it was the grey cable and connected it to the open connection on the circuit board, then spliced together the 2 orange cables. That worked! The main TV location, the bunkhouse and the bedroom TVs now all worked. I forgot to try the outside TV connection, though, so I'll try that in a couple weeks, BUT the point of all of this is - what should that dual coax plate be connected to?? I don't even see any other loose cables in the wall near the plate to connect to it. From what I've gathered, those are supposed to be used for satellite hookups, so does that mean my trailer is not wired properly for satellite? I'm completely dumbfounded by this wiring job! I mean, how exactly does something like this pass through the factory? Didn't the person who screwed the plate to the wall, ya know, not notice it wasn't connected to anything?? Ridiculous! Anyway, is there maybe a wiring schematic out there that could help me understand how things should be wired? Thanks!
You won't find schematics for any of the systems from Keystone, some of the forum members may found some, but for the most part they are top secret.
You're lucky to have found your issue & the splitter was easily found, some are hidden in walls or ceilings.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:33 AM   #4
Rick

You bought a used trailer. I’m guessing it might’ve been hooked up correctly when new from the factory, but possibly the previous owner did some coax work and wall plates to fit their needs and that’s what you ended up with. Previous owner then removed items they wanted before selling/trade-in and threw it back together not caring if it worked or not.
Glad you’re getting it sorted out.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:36 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Download the Sensor Pro instructions here https://winegard.com/industry/recrea...sesarpro-black
The cable to TV 1 or 2 (whichever is the front TV typically) goes to the plate with the 2 coax connectors, one in from Amp and one out to TV. The coax loop on the front just connects it when no satellite receiver is used.

My guess previous owner probably had a dish and wanted fewer coax connections and did some DIY work.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 07:53 PM   #6
cgrmills

I hope your cable issue is resolved. I want to ask a quick question. I have just purchased a 2021 298BH and wanted to know if you have found sheets to fit the bunks. Thanks!
cgrmills is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable