Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2020, 03:42 PM   #1
Camping family

Maintenance

What does everyone use on their slides when doing maintenance? Type of grease and silicone on the rubber around the slide? I have 3 slides on my 5th wheel two are cable driven and one isn’t.

Thanks in advance for any info.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 04:34 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I clean all my seals with a rag wet with alcohol (denatured ). Then I go over them, inside out, with Aerospace 303 which helps rejuvenate the rubber. I have used a Dollar Store pledge type product and it worked when I ran out of 303 during travel. I don't think it soaks into the rubber like the 303 as best I could tell but it is much cheaper.

If you aren't having problems with the cable slides leave them alone. IMO you should keep an eye on the darco covered bottoms to make sure they are fraying or wearing and they're clean. Maybe once/twice a year I take a cloth, spray it with dry silicone lube and wipe over the cables for the slides.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 07:00 PM   #3
bsmith0404

I use the spray on wipe off foam slide seal cleaner/conditioner. Been doing it every 6 months for 8 years and the seals are like new

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:20 AM   #4
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I use the spray on wipe off foam slide seal cleaner/conditioner. Been doing it every 6 months for 8 years and the seals are like new
I just did that today for the first time on my rig. I also noticed that on one side, the thick rubber patches that surround the cable hole in the slide seal had detached and were riding away on the cables, so I tried sticking them back on with a generous dollop of E-6000.

I didn't lube the inner top seal because I couldn't figure out how to reach it (didn't even realize it existed until I stuck my hand under the top seal to hold it while precleaning). I may have to make a giant Q-tip out of a rag and a length of PVC, and swab it from the bedroom while the slide is closed.

Tags
maintenance