Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2020, 11:55 AM   #61
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
That shows 68 dB. This is for a diesel gen. Not sure if the gas or LP versions are the same or if there are slight differences. I would expect them to be similar.
Same rating.. in the trailer it is muffled to the point it is white noise..

https://powersuite.cummins.com/PS5/P...ets/a-1425.pdf
Old 10-18-2020, 12:15 PM   #62
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Same rating.. in the trailer it is muffled to the point it is white noise..

https://powersuite.cummins.com/PS5/P...ets/a-1425.pdf
I wouldn’t say it’s white noise because it’s in the trailer. The majority of the noise comes from the exhaust. Doesn’t matter if it’s in the trailer or external.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 02:48 PM   #63
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I wouldn’t say it’s white noise because it’s in the trailer. The majority of the noise comes from the exhaust. Doesn’t matter if it’s in the trailer or external.
I was speaking as to what you will hear inside of me trailer.
You really need to just add the statement "I hate built in gensets" to your signature and get it over with.

A huge segment of the RV community doesn't want to spend hours loading, unloading, dragging power cords, hauling Jerry cans of gasoline and would rather have room in the truck bed for other things. That's why they've been putting them in trailers and motorhomes for at least 40 years.

But I get it you don't want a built in generator...
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:12 PM   #64
bsmith0404

I’m just simply trying to paint an accurate picture for the OP to consider. Once the money is spent it’s too late. I’ve been inside several RVs with generators running. I like to turn them on and start the AC when taking to customers instead of sitting inside an RV that’s 120+ degrees in the summer. When it gets towards the end of a conversation, I shut it down and have had many customers comment that it’s much better without it running.

Personally, I don’t understand the truck bed space argument. I prefer to keep my camping gear loaded in the RV and use the front compartment for a lot of it. I can load the gens in the truck when needed, but probably only take them on 15-20% of trips. If I had an on board, I’d be loading stuff into the truck bed and unloading it into the garage or shed on every trip.

But I get it, you don’t like portables and prefer the convenience of an on-board, but don’t ignore the fact that there are negative aspects to them as well and be realistic, hours??? More like minutes to load and unload. As for the power cord, I take it out every time I plug in at an RV park so I don’t even consider that additional, but i have a cord reel so it’s very quick and easy

That actually brings up a good point for the OP. Go to a dealership, look at motorhomes. Start the gen, turn the AC on and turn the radio on, then sit and carry on a conversation for 10-15 mins. That’s a good indicator of the level of noise you will live with if you have an on board. If you’re comfortable with that, then go for it. I get people that come in specifically looking for whisper air AC because their current AC is too loud. I doubt those people would ever be happy with an on-board gen

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 10-18-2020, 03:46 PM   #65
nellie1289

I have already told myself if I need more storage than what is under the Montana main hatch I need to reconsider what I’m bringing. It’s massive !
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:09 PM   #66
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie1289 View Post
I have already told myself if I need more storage than what is under the Montana main hatch I need to reconsider what I’m bringing. It’s massive !
In all honesty there are only two reasons to have a built in generator.

1. You camp or use the coach or trailer on a regular basis where there is no shore power.

2. You need to cool the coach or trailer while traveling down the road.

If neither of these is you, then forget the built in generator.

I've accepted that I won't do either of these things and I like to carry firewood in the truck bed because we camp in the spring, fall and winter and love sitting around the fire.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:04 PM   #67
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
In all honesty there are only two reasons to have a built in generator.

1. You camp or use the coach or trailer on a regular basis where there is no shore power.

2. You need to cool the coach or trailer while traveling down the road.

If neither of these is you, then forget the built in generator.

I've accepted that I won't do either of these things and I like to carry firewood in the truck bed because we camp in the spring, fall and winter and love sitting around the fire.
If I can swing for it when the time comes, I'm going to get it anyway. Its like I like to say, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. If I use it 2-3 times a year, I'll be happy. If I need it more than that, I'll be happy. And if I trade up for it down the road, I'll take the dang thing with me and put it in the new one. Either way, I am covered. Will it be a waste of money? I don't care that much. I'll be prepared.

Love sitting by the fire too. That'll be a must.
Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:17 PM   #68
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
If I can swing for it when the time comes, I'm going to get it anyway. Its like I like to say, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. If I use it 2-3 times a year, I'll be happy. If I need it more than that, I'll be happy. And if I trade up for it down the road, I'll take the dang thing with me and put it in the new one. Either way, I am covered. Will it be a waste of money? I don't care that much. I'll be prepared.

Love sitting by the fire too. That'll be a must.
Her's my take on an onboard factory installed generator. I have a toy hauler and they frequently have them installed, but if I had a typical 5th wheel I would order with one or have it installed. Cheaper if it's factory installed rather than after the fact. I don't "boon dock" per se but do stay in places on trips with no hookups. Walmart, rest areas, etc. I want the comforts of home including the air conditioning and A/C power for my CPAP. Noise is minimal in my opinion and with the air conditioning going, I'm usually tired from the drive and sleep well and comfortable. Sometimes when a generator is installed in a typical 5th wheel and is propane fired, 40# tanks are installed rather than 30#. I also like the ability to stop, go inside, start the generator and power the trailer systems rather than unload a generator from the truck, drag the power cord out, etc. I'll pay for the convenience. To each their own but that's what I want. An advantage to the toy hauler is the generator is gas not propane and I have 2 30 gallon tanks I can use.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:17 PM   #69
bsmith0404

Different units have different amounts of storage. My Alpine is massive as well, but I carry three folding tables, a camp chef stove, two anti gravity lounge chairs, 4 camp chairs, two hammock frames and hammocks, a big rubber made tote with all my pots and pans (only cook outside) two dog pens, flag pole buddy, small gas grill, two coolers, 3 patio mats, and a screen tent two additional totes, one for sewer hose, one for water hose. In the front compartment is extra for the oh crap moments, tools, extra sewer and water hoses, extension cords (50 amp and regular). There’s some other stuff up there too, but you get the picture

In the end, we have all made some good points both for and against. The OP or anyone else with a similar interest reading this can make an educated decision. Whatever they decide, if they change their mind after the fact, they can’t say “I wish I had known before”.

One last point. It was said that someone doesn’t want to have to lug around Jerry cans for fuel for a portable gen. My portables have 2 gallon tanks and will typically run for about 6-7 hours on that. It’s about the same run time that we’ve established in this thread for a 30 lb LP bottle. I can fill a 5 gallon can of fuel for about $10, it costs me $20 to fill my LP tanks. I can find a gas station on just about any corner, 7 days a week. Filling LP tanks is not always that simple to locate and try to find one on a weekend. You can always take along a spare tank or get a 20 lb cylinder from an exchange, but then you are lugging that around instead of a gas can. JMO

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 10-18-2020, 07:36 PM   #70
LewisB

Another Alternative?

Hey! Good job to everyone for a great discussion on the pluses and minuses of both built-in and external generators. Clearly, they both have advantages and they both work. A new RV'er, in reading this thread will get a lot of help in thinking through their choices.

There is another alternative that was questioned but not yet discussed - how about "building in" an after-market purchased generator? It is quite possible to take an existing compartment (or building a new compartment) specifically for an added generator? In one of our previous trailers, we had a lot of extra space under the front overhang. So I built a compartment with sliding screen/solid doors, an exhaust path, a slide out rack for the generator (to service & fuel), storage, etc. I ran a cord from the new generator compartment through the internal cabinets to the existing shore power compartment. When I wasn't using shore power, I just plugged the shore power cord into the generator cord. The generator was a Honda EU3000 that would run the AC unit and everything else I wanted. This unit was quiet, secure, could be used while on the road, etc. Here's a link with some album pictures. With some fabrication skills and a "slide out rack", you might be able to have the best of both an on-board built and AND a portable generator. Just a thought...

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...p?albumid=1135
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:50 AM   #71
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Hey! Good job to everyone for a great discussion on the pluses and minuses of both built-in and external generators. Clearly, they both have advantages and they both work. A new RV'er, in reading this thread will get a lot of help in thinking through their choices.

There is another alternative that was questioned but not yet discussed - how about "building in" an after-market purchased generator? It is quite possible to take an existing compartment (or building a new compartment) specifically for an added generator? In one of our previous trailers, we had a lot of extra space under the front overhang. So I built a compartment with sliding screen/solid doors, an exhaust path, a slide out rack for the generator (to service & fuel), storage, etc. I ran a cord from the new generator compartment through the internal cabinets to the existing shore power compartment. When I wasn't using shore power, I just plugged the shore power cord into the generator cord. The generator was a Honda EU3000 that would run the AC unit and everything else I wanted. This unit was quiet, secure, could be used while on the road, etc. Here's a link with some album pictures. With some fabrication skills and a "slide out rack", you might be able to have the best of both an on-board built and AND a portable generator. Just a thought...

I agree! I have learned so much in this thread. Even in the disagreements, both sides. I have taken into account all of the posts here and fitted them into my decision. Ya'll have been great!!
Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:12 AM   #72
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post

That's a great job!
Although most aren't able/willing to take on such a project, especially on a new 5th wheel, but is definitely an option for the real handyman.
Those that store an aftermarket generator in that front compartment don't be tempted to run it while in there, air circulation is needed for the motor cooling & an exhaust outlet as far away from the enclosure & rv would be mandatory.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:40 AM   #73
Danny1955

That's ridiculous. I pull a 36' Cedar Creek Silverback that's 14,434 GVWR with an F-250. No problem at all.
Danny1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:46 AM   #74
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny1955 View Post
That's ridiculous. I pull a 36' Cedar Creek Silverback that's 14,434 GVWR with an F-250. No problem at all.
Yeah... but you're from Louisiana
Old 10-22-2020, 07:55 AM   #75
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny1955 View Post
Slow learner? A year ago you reported "pulling" over weight with an F150 until you burned up the transmission - so you bought an F250. Now you are likely "pulling" over weight once again. What is ridiculous is not understanding "pulling" vs. "hauling", your tow vehicle payload, and the highway safety of those whom you share the roadway. If you are over payload, you are over weight, not legal, and not safe. JMHO
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:04 AM   #76
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
I haven't yet. I was going to go with F-350 Dually, but TT in the post above suggests I might need more. If I get a 40+ footer, will a 350/3500 not do it? I kinda thought so.
I have a 450 but for the other 450 reasons. A properly configured 350 can carry more payload. My 450 GVW by scale was 14,325 or 325 lbs overweight.

Other reasons are tight turning radius, bigger brakes, MDT vs LDT, 1 class higher than 350 so a 'tougher' truck overall.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:37 AM   #77
Northern Lights

"To use the generator, you would need to drag out a power cord and connect it to your shore power cord. And using it while driving down the road is likely not going to happen"

I only run one AC on the generator & 30 amps will run all the necessities at least temporatily.
I keep a generator bolted down on the cargo carrier on the rear.
I bought a 30 amp pigtail with a 50 amp RV connector on the other end.
& made a short cable with 30 amp RV cable to power up the 5th when needed.
I keep it connected to the 30 amp RV outlet on the genset & loop the other end of the cable around the rear ladder & cable tie it down when travelling. It looks tidy too.
No. I don't normally run the genset on the road. However, it's easy & not cumbersome if I want to do that. But, it's very convenient & quick to connect at rest areas & anywhere else.
Northern Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:04 AM   #78
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
"To use the generator, you would need to drag out a power cord and connect it to your shore power cord. And using it while driving down the road is likely not going to happen"

I only run one AC on the generator & 30 amps will run all the necessities at least temporatily.
I keep a generator bolted down on the cargo carrier on the rear.
I bought a 30 amp pigtail with a 50 amp RV connector on the other end.
& made a short cable with 30 amp RV cable to power up the 5th when needed.
I keep it connected to the 30 amp RV outlet on the genset & loop the other end of the cable around the rear ladder & cable tie it down when travelling. It looks tidy too.
No. I don't normally run the genset on the road. However, it's easy & not cumbersome if I want to do that. But, it's very convenient & quick to connect at rest areas & anywhere else.
I believe the OP is talking about a built-in genny, transfer switch, none of what you said is needed. 10's of thousands of them on the road already
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone