Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2020, 06:44 AM   #1
koda57

Battery drain

I have a 2020 Cougar trailer. Just wondering if people know what type of battery drains there units have. I happen to check mine and it was .5 amps drain. Checked with two meters, an in series meter and a clamp meter. I have always said you shouldn't have more than .2 amps drain. I haven't pulled any fuses yet to narrow it down.
koda57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:38 AM   #2
wobly

With all the electronics in modern trailers, that's not a surprise. The inCommand system, converter, refrigerator and other items will eat a battery quickly.
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:28 AM   #3
MarkEHansen

Welcome to the forum, Koda57!

RV batteries come with a pretty steep learning curve. It's not like the batteries in your flashlight, where you can just leave them sit and expect them to work when you finally get to them. Depending on the capacity of the batteries, you can expect them to be below the minimum state of charge (SoC) within 2 or so weeks.

You definitely don't want to leave the batteries in the trailer while it's in storage, unless you can keep the trailer connected to shore power (so the converter/charger will keep the batteries topped-off). I take my batteries home where I keep them on a smart battery maintainer (not a "trickle charger").

Either way, you want to check the water level every month and top the cells off with distilled water as needed.

There is lots of help here. Just ask.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:50 AM   #4
LewisB

Welcome to the forum!

Recognize that the manufacturer's "battery disconnect" switch does not interrupt ALL devices. Your safety systems (CO monitor, propane monitor, etc.) and control systems (like iN.Command) all remain connected and represent what is commonly referred to as "parasitic drains." Some owners install a "master" disconnect on the negative side of their DC system to interrupt ALL battery drains. However, even if you do this it will still be necessary to regularly maintain your batteries as already pointed out.

Enjoy your new trailer!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:22 AM   #5
ADQ K9

I do not have inComand on my trailer. In addition to the CO2 and propane detectors my slides and tongue jack are still powered when I use the battery disconnect. My CO2 detector is actually powered by 3AA batteries.
My plan when the two group 24 batteries wear out is to replace with a new single battery box and 2 6 volt GC wired in a series. I plan to add another cut off switch and trickle charger at the same time assuming there is room in the box for this.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:57 AM   #6
WJQ

Search for kenmoffat. He posted a question on battery level -- measuring battery level of charge. He got a lot of good responses and info on batteries and keeping them charged. I added some comments in that string of posts. Lots to learn about battery drain, battery types, solar charging, parasitic loses, etc.
Heber City, UTAH
Living the Dream at 6300 Feet!
WJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:15 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADQ K9 View Post
I do not have inComand on my trailer. In addition to the CO2 and propane detectors my slides and tongue jack are still powered when I use the battery disconnect. My CO2 detector is actually powered by 3AA batteries.
My plan when the two group 24 batteries wear out is to replace with a new single battery box and 2 6 volt GC wired in a series. I plan to add another cut off switch and trickle charger at the same time assuming there is room in the box for this.
Carbon monoxide is CO which is a by product of burning fossil fuels, CO2 is carbon dioxide which I'd in your soft drinks. Most CO detectors that have standard batteries the batteries are for back up. The battery operated CO detectors typically have a 10 year lithium Ion battery.
Just want to clarify so someone looking for a replacement isn't confused.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:37 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Carbon monoxide is CO which is a by product of burning fossil fuels, CO2 is carbon dioxide which I'd in your soft drinks. Most CO detectors that have standard batteries the batteries are for back up. The battery operated CO detectors typically have a 10 year lithium Ion battery.
It's the same with my CO monitor. It's powered by the trailer 12 VDC system and has a 9 volt battery "backup" in the event of a power failure. When I disconnect the trailer battery, the CO monitor continues to operate on internal battery power. Remove the internal battery, it "dies". Turn on the trailer 12 volt system or plug the trailer into shore power, it "comes back to life".

If I take the batteries out of the trailer and take them home (as in winterization) the CO monitor will continue to operate on that 9 volt battery for about 30 days before it dies and the battery begins to corrode....

The LPG detector is only powered by the trailer system and does not have a internal battery backup.

The smoke detector, however, is a "stand alone unit" and is not connected to the trailer 12 volt system. It operates ONLY on internal battery power.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:29 AM   #9
ADQ K9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Sorry for creating confusion. Too much blood in the caffeine stream I was only on my first cup of coffee
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:08 AM   #10
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda57 View Post
I have a 2020 Cougar trailer. Just wondering if people know what type of battery drains there units have. I happen to check mine and it was .5 amps drain. Checked with two meters, an in series meter and a clamp meter. I have always said you shouldn't have more than .2 amps drain. I haven't pulled any fuses yet to narrow it down.
I have a 2018 22RBS and mine runs about .3 amps just sitting there. Just the radio, propane leak detector and a few LEDs on some USB plugs. If you have inCommand I think that's another .1 amps in standby, a little more if the display is on.

So .5 amps is reasonable for the trailer just sitting there.

Opening the disconnect on my trailer kills the fuse panel so everything that comes off of there is dead. The only things that come straight off of the battery are the slide, and jacks and they draw nothing unless you are operating them.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:59 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADQ K9 View Post
Sorry for creating confusion. Too much blood in the caffeine stream I was only on my first cup of coffee
No worries. I see it often, don't know if it's a common habit or some spell or grammar checkers going rogue.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, drain