Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2019, 11:19 AM   #21
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Curious... why does the generator have to be an inverter type? I can run my A/C using my 4000/3500 Champion generator and the A/C works fine. I can't use the microwave or a bunch of other 110V circuits at the same time but the A/C works (microwave not running and hot water heater A/C off).
Basically the inverter types produce the same power as what you get in your house which is a sine wave 110VAC. The non-inverter types are either modified sine wave or worse. Your sensitive electronic stuff (newer RV's have some built in like inCommand etc) can be damaged by non sine wave types. The AC MAY not be affected, or may not show symptoms for a while but if you do want to use other electronics, or are having a problem, the Honda EU2200 and its competitors are safe. There are probably better descriptions on here and elsewhere if you want more detail.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:17 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Curious... why does the generator have to be an inverter type? I can run my A/C using my 4000/3500 Champion generator and the A/C works fine. I can't use the microwave or a bunch of other 110V circuits at the same time but the A/C works (microwave not running and hot water heater A/C off).
George,

Your trailer is a 2002 model. The "fancy electronics" is not a consideration for you. Although the inverter generator will provide a "cleaner sine wave" the electronics in your trailer will work well with a "modified sine wave" generated by a 3600 RPM contractor generator just as well as with a "high priced inverter style".... Now, if you've installed a "state of the art HD television" or a "Bluetooth hair dryer" or a "Echo security system".... Well, all bets are off... Otherwise, with a 15 year old air conditioner and a "bottom line microwave" you shouldn't have any problems as long as the voltage is "roughly 60 cycles and 110-125 volts.

Now, if you had the "in-command system" and other sensitive electronics.... well, I'd agree, chances are a contractor generator isn't your best bet...

Seems funny, to me at least, that everyone is "preaching the need for an inverter generator for RV use, but every "high priced S&B" with a Generac standby system is using "contractor generator technology" to run those "million dollar homes" during a power outage.... For most electronics, there isn't a hill of beans difference as far as what the trailer sees and how it works....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #23
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
George,

Your trailer is a 2002 model. The "fancy electronics" is not a consideration for you. Although the inverter generator will provide a "cleaner sine wave" the electronics in your trailer will work well with a "modified sine wave" generated by a 3600 RPM contractor generator just as well as with a "high priced inverter style".... Now, if you've installed a "state of the art HD television" or a "Bluetooth hair dryer" or a "Echo security system".... Well, all bets are off... Otherwise, with a 15 year old air conditioner and a "bottom line microwave" you shouldn't have any problems as long as the voltage is "roughly 60 cycles and 110-125 volts.

Now, if you had the "in-command system" and other sensitive electronics.... well, I'd agree, chances are a contractor generator isn't your best bet...

Seems funny, to me at least, that everyone is "preaching the need for an inverter generator for RV use, but every "high priced S&B" with a Generac standby system is using "contractor generator technology" to run those "million dollar homes" during a power outage.... For most electronics, there isn't a hill of beans difference as far as what the trailer sees and how it works....
Are you sure about that Generac comment, this is what I see on their web site

True Power™ Technology delivers best-in-class power quality with less than 5 percent total harmonic distortion for clean, smooth operation of sensitive electronics and appliances.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:41 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
Are you sure about that Generac comment, this is what I see on their web site

True Power™ Technology delivers best-in-class power quality with less than 5 percent total harmonic distortion for clean, smooth operation of sensitive electronics and appliances.
It does that with a constant 3600 RPM two tap generator and a sophisticated voltage regulator. So, yeah, I'm sure about that Generac comment. There's one sitting beside my gas meter on the side of the house. Generac Gardian series home standby generators are not inverter technology and mine runs everything in my house (including the new 75" LG HDTV).

I won't suggest (don't think I even implied it) that an inverter generator produces a 'cleaner' AC power. What I did state (more than suggested, stated) is that for a 2002 RV, there's no need to stop using an open face generator that's been supplying power for years "just because there's a new type generator on the market".... In other words, if it ain't burned it up in the past 17 years, chances are darned good that you can keep using it without worry.....

Saying that an inverter generator is necessary for an older RV is much like saying "a half ton truck can't pull a half ton trailer".... It really depends on much more than just "titles and brand names".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:44 PM   #25
LewisB

I noticed the OP came from "Utah" - that could mean high temperature and/or high elevations.

When considering the size generator needed, don't forget that the generator must be de-rated for elevations over 500' MSL and temperatures over 77°F (per ISO 8528-1 testing). For my 5500 Cummins/Onan, losses are 3.5% for each 1000' over 500' MSL plus loss of 1% for each 10°F over 77°F. I lose about 10% at my house on a hot day. And it is a lot worse at 10,000' MSL camping in Colorado! (That's a 33% loss just from elevation.)

Check your generator specifications, paying attention to how it was tested to determine the output rating and take into account any needed adjustments in rating due to temperature and elevation. Then, make your size determination based on your worst case camping conditions of highest elevation and hottest ambient temperature. Otherwise, you may be disappointed in generator performance at the time when you most want to have it operating.

Just something to consider...
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
springdale