Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2019, 06:24 PM   #1
AUPANNER

Simple backup camera for RV not TV

We have a 2017 Keystone 17.5 Hideout tow behind - wife wanted me to install a RV backup camera because she has a hard time backing it into out space linted driveway.
So I sent away for a Emmako (Chinese camera and monitor) HD 720P Wireless digital.
Here is my dilemma - seeking wisdom- tried to install today and failed - at rear of RV left side there is a red back up light/turn signal just above the license tag.
I thought this would be a good location- removed lens cover and pulled out wiring unit - there is a green, black and white wire going to the bulb. Assuming Black is ground or is Green ground? and white is hot -- There is no RV wiring diagram that came with unit- the tiny camera has a "pairing" button hanging down along with the red and black power wires - Question #1 To which wire does the black connect to and to which wire does the red connect to? It should be obvious but to me it is not. Question#2 - How do I protect the "Pairing button" which cannot be tucked out of the way?

I have power to the monitor but I could not get the camera paired to the monitor - what am I doing wrong??

any advice even bad advice is welcome at this point.
AUPANNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:38 PM   #2
ajk170

AUPanner- my experience on my Outback, green is ground black is hot and white is neutral. Do you have power to both the camera and monitor? Your last part of your post suggests you do, which means you have the wires connected correctly. The pairing feature appears to be the problem and probably not one related to the wiring of the camera for power.
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:56 PM   #3
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUPANNER View Post
We have a 2017 Keystone 17.5 Hideout tow behind - wife wanted me to install a RV backup camera because she has a hard time backing it into out space linted driveway.
So I sent away for a Emmako (Chinese camera and monitor) HD 720P Wireless digital.
Here is my dilemma - seeking wisdom- tried to install today and failed - at rear of RV left side there is a red back up light/turn signal just above the license tag.
I thought this would be a good location- removed lens cover and pulled out wiring unit - there is a green, black and white wire going to the bulb. Assuming Black is ground or is Green ground? and white is hot -- There is no RV wiring diagram that came with unit- the tiny camera has a "pairing" button hanging down along with the red and black power wires - Question #1 To which wire does the black connect to and to which wire does the red connect to? It should be obvious but to me it is not. Question#2 - How do I protect the "Pairing button" which cannot be tucked out of the way?

I have power to the monitor but I could not get the camera paired to the monitor - what am I doing wrong??

any advice even bad advice is welcome at this point.
White should be ground and green should be power to the running lights that you'll have to have on to get power to the camera.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:56 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If I'm reading your first post correctly, you removed the lens cover from the "STOP/TURN/TAIL light" ??? If that's what you're working with, you have TWO (not one) circuit in that light. It's a dual filament bulb, one wire is ground (probably white) one is brake/turn signal filament power and the other is running/tail light filament power.

I'd guess the black is tail/running light power and green is turn/brake filament power.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:06 PM   #5
ajk170

Steveo/JRTJH - Thanks guys for correcting me!
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:09 PM   #6
Steveo57

Best way to tell is get out your meter. Here's a link to the Keystone wiring standard.

https://www.keystonerv.com/upper-nav...r-performance/
Old 08-23-2019, 07:11 AM   #7
AUPANNER

Thank you for your response - your definitions of the wires corresponds with mine - still confused as to why Black would be hot and Green positive - yes it is a dual filament bulb with White also carrying 12v. The problem I am having is with the pairing - in reality it should be a two person job. one person at the aft end of the RV pressing the Pairing button and the other person in the TV attempting to "contact" or pair with the camera - a walkie-talkie would also help. I quit for the day to regroup and attempt when the temp drops a bit.
J.
AUPANNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:27 AM   #8
Bredencamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUPANNER View Post
Thank you for your response - your definitions of the wires corresponds with mine - still confused as to why Black would be hot and Green positive - yes it is a dual filament bulb with White also carrying 12v. The problem I am having is with the pairing - in reality it should be a two person job. one person at the aft end of the RV pressing the Pairing button and the other person in the TV attempting to "contact" or pair with the camera - a walkie-talkie would also help. I quit for the day to regroup and attempt when the temp drops a bit.
J.
I am wondering if the issue is caused by range and/or interference? An amazon search for emmako digital wireless backup camera returns a number of results. I am reading statements like 'No interference open area 984 ft line of sight'. This is an impressive range. However, it is line of sight without any interference. One model specifies working distance up to 33 ft. Another model specifies working on vehicle range under 50 ft. Your trailer is short so even the 33 ft distance should be enough. My thinking is that materials used in the construction of the trailer and tow vehicle might cause enough interference to prevent pairing.

You might consider temporarily removing the camera from the rear of the trailer to get it closer to the tow vehicle. Power it directly from the trailer battery or even the tow vehicle battery. If it pairs when closer to the tow vehicle you might have to return it and get a model with more range or a wired model.

Good luck.