Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2018, 12:41 PM   #1
theboneskes

Stabilizer jacks not working "properly" (so I think?)

Ok, we have a 2018 Outback we bought this spring. When we pull into the camping spot, start setting up, I level the trailer with blocks(side to side) and them use the power tongue jack to level front to back. When I run down my stabilizers on each corner, I run the down till they lift the trailer on each corner slightly( an inch or two) which seems to stabilize it good. The problem, is the next day I can check one of the corners and one of the jacks isnt touching the ground at all! They seem to back themselves off, not sure why they do it.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to lock them into place? Do they make locks for them? My trailer has the standard scissor jacks, with a 3/4" bolt in them. I use a cordless drill to run them down, and snug them up. But shouldn't have to fix it daily, should I?
Prodigy P1 Brake Controller
Used to own: 2006 Jayco 29FBS
theboneskes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:03 PM   #2
theboneskes

I saw a video of someones jacks backing off by themselves. Mine have done that a few times when running them down. Said the fix is to remove the grease/lube from the threads? I have never lubed mine. Whatever they came with from the factory or what the RV store did is whats on there now.

Here is the video. Mine do the same. Is there a fix or a lock for them?

http://www.popupportal.com/threads/s....113019/page-2
Old 09-29-2018, 01:45 PM   #3
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

You're putting to much pressure on your stabilizer jacks. The jacks are not designed to lift the trailer at all just stabilize it.
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:47 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

When you tow the trailer to a campground, the tires, hubs and brakes will be at operating temperature. Setup, leveling and stabilizing the trailer in that condition will cause a slight change once things "cool down". Additionally, if you're on gravel, sand or dirt, walking around in the trailer will "scrub the jack ground plates" into the ground as the dirt settles under the jacks and under the tires. It's not uncommon to have to "reset jacks" two or three times during a week long camping trip. Even if you're on concrete or blacktop, you may find that after leveling and the trailer running gear temperature cools, you'll need to reset the jacks.

One of the "nice features" of the automatic leveling system is that it eliminates the effect of tire/brake cooling because the system essentially lifts the tires enough that any size change or air pressure change doesn't affect the trailer position.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:48 PM   #5
BamaRam

The Lippert electric stab jack operating instructions say to touch the ground, then operate the extend button for one to two seconds.

I operated mine in this manner, usually one second, and the front jack went out to lunch. It will not hold torque even when manually operated. It “unwinds “ itself immediately until no torque is on the pads. If I hold the button down it repeatedly goes from torque to no torque.

Here is a video, turn on the sound.
https://youtu.be/ReB35SYjSt8

Dealer turned in warranty claim.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:05 PM   #6
theboneskes

Jacks

We have only camped in state parks with paved spots, there is no settling. I would agree you only want them to touch, then why do other jacks say once they touch to hold down the button for a second or two, that will do more than touch the ground, it will raise the trailer an inch or two on each corner for sure.

So you are telling me, when you park your trailer, and you setup, that you just have your pads touch the ground slightly? You don't try to stabilize your trailer? What's the point of having them then? Aren't they suppose to stabilize, hence the name?
Old 09-29-2018, 09:08 PM   #7
theboneskes

I don't lift my trailer, I use the stabilizers to stabilize the trailer on each corner. Lifting the camper would say I am lifting it off the ground, I don't. All I do is try and stabilize the trailer so it feels somewhat secure. Our old Jayco didn't have this issue...
Old 09-29-2018, 09:12 PM   #8
theboneskes

I could understand being off the ground slightly, not 1/2 inch.... And they do back off by themselves too, I have seen it with my own two eyes. Next time we use it I will take a video.

QUOTE=JRTJH;309548]When you tow the trailer to a campground, the tires, hubs and brakes will be at operating temperature. Setup, leveling and stabilizing the trailer in that condition will cause a slight change once things "cool down". Additionally, if you're on gravel, sand or dirt, walking around in the trailer will "scrub the jack ground plates" into the ground as the dirt settles under the jacks and under the tires. It's not uncommon to have to "reset jacks" two or three times during a week long camping trip. Even if you're on concrete or blacktop, you may find that after leveling and the trailer running gear temperature cools, you'll need to reset the jacks.

One of the "nice features" of the automatic leveling system is that it eliminates the effect of tire/brake cooling because the system essentially lifts the tires enough that any size change or air pressure change doesn't affect the trailer position.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-30-2018, 02:06 AM   #9
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Wouldn't it be nice if auto-levelling was standard equipment...
I have the electric jacks on my 22rbs and find they don't stabilize well at all. I put 2x8 blocks under each foot and hold the button for a second after they both land. Works great but still shaky so I add 4 of those screw type ones under the frame to stable the RV. It's a bit of a hassle but well worth having a very stable RV. These jacks were like $65 for four (amazon) and they hold 6000lbs each so I can take some weight off my electric jacks and the tongue jack. They'll be good for winter storage as well taking weight off the tires.
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:57 AM   #10
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

You will never take all the bounce out as long as it is sitting on rubber tires and has springs. And that bouncing is part of what leads to the loosening up.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:20 AM   #11
Mainer

I use a drill also, not set at maximum, but I circle the trailer a couple of times with it to get them even, generally up only an inch or so. Jacks good for 3000#, trailer 7000# or so, can't hurt the jacks. Never have a bounce problem, but jacks and suspension have very little lateral stability so it wiggles. Had an ALHO 45 years ago, rock solid jacks, good storage, excellent balance, good tongue weight, towed well, spent a whole year in it cross country and building a house, wish they built them like that now.
Mainer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks