Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2017, 04:30 PM   #1
Ash

Fuzion Chrome 404 (42 feet)

Hi Guys
New to RV's, just bought a 2014 Fuzion chrome model 404 (42 feet in length), I have a 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 HD with 6.7l cummins turbo diesel with 8" box. my question is can my Truck tow this beast or shall I go buy a 3500 truck. thanks
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:58 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

You "need a bigger boat" as they said in Jaws.

Your sticker on the door may tell you, but from what I pulled you have a max trailer weight of 13,350 MAX - when properly equipped. Payload is 2490 MAX - when properly equipped. (ramtrucks.com)

Listed specs on the trailer are 14,405 dry weight. GVW of 18,000 lbs. Dry pin weight of 3335 lbs. The loaded pin weight will be more.

Those numbers put you in the 3500 DRW world IMO. I suspect the trailer will exceed every weight restriction on that 2500.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #3
dunerider

I would go with 3500 pickup or larger. You could air bag the 2500 but the pickup is not rated to pull that weight.if involved in serious accident the weight rating of 2500 pickup could become an issue. Also in California places like pismo,state police at times will check truck weight rating if overloaded they will issue citation and possibly park pickup and trailer.
dunerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #4
kfxgreenie

Triple Axle Toyhauler = dual rear wheels period.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:42 AM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

You're in dually on try with that sized beast. If you add a toy to it, you didn't state your plans, you'll definitely be dually bound.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:55 AM   #6
Barbell

The question asked is "can my truck tow this beast". Obviously the 6.7 Cummins can "tow the beast", but that isn't the question you need to ask. A 2500 is grossly overloaded pulling your rig. That means stopping ability is compromised to say nothing of the legal consequences that would entail if you were at fault in an accident. That 6.7 is a great engine but you need one that has 6 wheels on the ground.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:06 AM   #7
KitFox

Fuzion Chrome 404 (42 feet)

First post ever, but this is something I personally have experience at.
I had a 2013 RAM 2500 with aftermarket kelderman 4 corner full air suspension, not just add on bags. I bought the exact same trailer (2014 Fuzion 404). Went in to buy a smaller trailer, but dealer offered the 404 at a price that I couldn't refuse, and pulled the trailer home.
I knew it was going to be over weight, I knew what the truck could do and I know my skill level. I didn't know how it would affect the handling of the truck, though.
I never pulled the trailer with that truck again.
That was probably the scariest 45 minutes, period. It started off great, pulled nice, truck was level and not even close to struggling and I was happy. Until I passed a semi truck going the other direction on a section of 2 lane Hwy. That's when I sucked part of my seat up my a**.
Yup, truck will pull it. It will get you where you want to go. But not safely. The brakes on the trailer will bring you to a stop from 60km/h even with your foot planted on the accelerator. Stopping wasn't much of an issue. Gobs of power from the cummins. Moving forward was not the issue. The side to side stability is the biggest issue your going to deal with besides the weight issue.
The next week I went and traded it in for a '14 RAM 3500 DRW and never looked back.
Even stock suspension on a DRW is considerably more stable than anything with SRW.
My personal advise is trade your 2500 before you get into a situation where you wish you had.
Enjoy your trips with the new trailer and safe travels.
KitFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:27 AM   #8
bigsnowman

Welcome Ash and greetings from a fellow Cummins owner! This spring we upgraded to a 300MP. The reason we picked that trailer was because it grossed at 16,500 and my truck, '16 SRW 3500, was rated to pull 17,070 according to the GVWR posted by our friends at RAM. I would have loved to have something bigger (the triple axles look super cool and who wouldn't want all that room and a bigger garage) but did not want to get into a dually as it would be tough to get into our garage and a bugger for what I do for work and we don't pull the trailer all that often. My truck handles the 300MP beautifully but I wouldn't want to put any larger trailer behind it. So IMHO, I would opt for a dually very soon.
bigsnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:17 PM   #9
Ash

Thank to all for the replies,
Old 08-18-2017, 05:20 PM   #10
pawpaw

Two sets of standards for towing...conventional and 5th wheel/gooseneck. Very easy to exceed the payload on a 3/4 ton truck due to the heavy hitch weight on these heavy toyhaulers. I quit using son in laws F-250 and bought a F-350 dually just for that reason. Towing at 65 to 70 mph the 4 tires on the ground in the rear provide a much more stable ride.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:01 PM   #11
rcmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
Triple Axle Toyhauler = dual rear wheels period.
Could not agree more with that.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:39 PM   #12
Sandi587

In my opinion, Your going to want a bigger truck. I have the same rig as you just purchased. I don't have my scale weights right in front of me but I scaled the truck/trailer combo when loaded for a two week trip, half tank of water and the HD (1000#) loaded in the garage.

Total weight was 27500, My pin weight was north of 3600 pounds. Trailer alone weighed 17,500. Haven't weighed the trailer without the bike in back, but I'm sure it would increase my pin weight.

I don't know what your current truck has for cargo capacity, or towing capacity, but my numbers will give you an idea what kind of loads you can expect to be putting on it.

2013 Dodge Ram Dually
2014 Fuzion 404 Chrome
Sandi587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:00 AM   #13
oilburner-dave

I have the Raptor version, a 2014 4014LEV. Live in western New York and pulled it home last spring out of Indiana. Used the father in-laws 02 chevy dually, pulled good (flat land). You did know It was back there. I would be concerned in a emergency maneuver, that it would not push the back of even a dually around. I got the fifth wheel hitch on my 07 Chevy Kodiak C4500 and pulled in the Gettysburg Pennsylvania and Chattanooga Tennessee area, it worked hard with the Duramax at 27,760 gross. With just basic things in the camper, no water and very little in the garage. Hitch weight was 4400, trailer axle 12,300.
This pass spring I sold the Kodiak and picked up a 07 Freightliner sport chassis. Much more comfortable ride and good power, best of all stable. Now I'm looking for a pre 98 Chevy Tracker to put in the garage.
oilburner-dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:55 PM   #14
spicercars

A lot of campers out there with trucks no big enough to pull the rv's they are pulling. seems like the thought is if its got a hitch I can pull it but don't realize the dangers of towing not set up right.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:28 AM   #15
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner-dave View Post
I have the Raptor version, a 2014 4014LEV. Live in western New York and pulled it home last spring out of Indiana. Used the father in-laws 02 chevy dually, pulled good (flat land). You did know It was back there. I would be concerned in a emergency maneuver, that it would not push the back of even a dually around. I got the fifth wheel hitch on my 07 Chevy Kodiak C4500 and pulled in the Gettysburg Pennsylvania and Chattanooga Tennessee area, it worked hard with the Duramax at 27,760 gross. With just basic things in the camper, no water and very little in the garage. Hitch weight was 4400, trailer axle 12,300.
This pass spring I sold the Kodiak and picked up a 07 Freightliner sport chassis. Much more comfortable ride and good power, best of all stable. Now I'm looking for a pre 98 Chevy Tracker to put in the garage.
Wondering if the trailer will support the weight of the tracker, especially the ramp? I used to have a tracker, fun vehicles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:13 PM   #16
Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitFox View Post
First post ever, but this is something I personally have experience at.
I had a 2013 RAM 2500 with aftermarket kelderman 4 corner full air suspension, not just add on bags. I bought the exact same trailer (2014 Fuzion 404). Went in to buy a smaller trailer, but dealer offered the 404 at a price that I couldn't refuse, and pulled the trailer home.
I knew it was going to be over weight, I knew what the truck could do and I know my skill level. I didn't know how it would affect the handling of the truck, though.
I never pulled the trailer with that truck again.
That was probably the scariest 45 minutes, period. It started off great, pulled nice, truck was level and not even close to struggling and I was happy. Until I passed a semi truck going the other direction on a section of 2 lane Hwy. That's when I sucked part of my seat up my a**.
Yup, truck will pull it. It will get you where you want to go. But not safely. The brakes on the trailer will bring you to a stop from 60km/h even with your foot planted on the accelerator. Stopping wasn't much of an issue. Gobs of power from the cummins. Moving forward was not the issue. The side to side stability is the biggest issue your going to deal with besides the weight issue.
The next week I went and traded it in for a '14 RAM 3500 DRW and never looked back.
Even stock suspension on a DRW is considerably more stable than anything with SRW.
My personal advise is trade your 2500 before you get into a situation where you wish you had.
Enjoy your trips with the new trailer and safe travels.
Thank you very much, that answered all my questions. I will go for a 3500 dually. thanks again

Tags
fuzion